Volquez: Visa is waiting for me

Discussion in 'National League Central' started by truebluefan, Mar 5, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

"Opening Day starter Edinson Volquez believes his visa situation is resolved.

"Everything is set," Volquez said. "They're just waiting for me to pick it up."

Volquez said he will go the Dominican Republic Sunday and return to camp Tuesday.

"I'll say hi to everyone then come back," he said.

Volquez has not been allowed to pitch in games at which admission is charged because he entered the country on a travel visa rather than a work visa. The work visa was held up because Volquez failed a drug test and was suspended last year.

Volquez threw 50 pitches in live batting practice Wednesday.

"I think when I get back to camp, I'll jump in a game and throw four or five innings," he said. "(Wednesday), I went 50 pitches. That's like three innings."

Volquez's next scheduled start would be today. Chad Reineke will start instead. Volquez would be scheduled again Wednesday. If all goes well at home, he could make that start.

Volquez should be able to get in four starts before the end of camp.

"I think that's enough," he said.

Volquez had ligament replacement surgery in August of 2009. He says that's no longer a factor.

"My arm feels great," he said. "I've had no problems at all.""

Read more: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/...waiting-me?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|s