Vonleh back in three weeks

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Reep, Oct 12, 2017.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

What're you talking about? We have 5 players that could start at PF..

2. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

No we don't.
    If you want to start both Dame and CJ, you will need the other 3 guys to do their job defensively.

How many bigs do we have who can switch on smaller guys? do we really need more scorers next to Nurkic,Dame and CJ??

I know it's fun seeing our rookies thru rose colored glasses, but there's no chance in hell either of them start this season if Vonleh/ Aminu/Harkless are healthy.

3. BonesJones

Dude, switching isn't the solution to us playing better defense. Getting through screens and not switching is the solution. Every switch creates two mismatches, unless the players are compatible in terms of switchability (ex. Harkless + Aminu). So even though Vonleh might be able to do an okay job when switched onto an opposing PG, you'll still have Lillard stuck on somebody like Anthony Davis. If you end up with Lillard on Anthony Davis, it's bad defense.

So we need a PF that can defend his position as well as play team defense. In that case, we have 4 guys that could start there and do that: Vonleh, Aminu, Davis, Collins. It's still up in the air whether Swanigan can bring that, but even though he's as good as the other 4 in that area, he makes up for it with rebounding and offensive talent.

But there's no chance in hell because... why? You are secretly Terry Stotts? Or is it that the number 1 requirement for our starting PF is that they can guard PGs, SGs, and SFs...?

dviss1 and tlongII like this.
  4. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Agree. I love the potential of the rookies and I expect both to eventually be big contributors. But Vonleh's defense is needed in that starting unit right now. Depending on his growth curve, I fully expect Collins to take over that role in the near future though.

Blazers Roy likes this.
  5. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

I think That "Getting through screens and not switching" is nice in theory, but you know that's not Stotts basketball and you know that half the league use illegal screens nowadays. Are you really going to get through a Draymond Green screen while he has his knee or elbow in your gut?
    -Davis is a liability, you can leave him open because he can't shoot and he's too slow to defend anyone quicker than him.
    -Collins and Swanigan are making too many mistakes out there and they lack experience against Pro players.
    I'm not "secretly Terry Stotts", but i know that Terry Stotts don't like to gamble on his record using inexperienced,young players.

Would you put your job on the line and give key roles to fresh young employees?

I wonder why you mock my opinion...
    I mean, this is where the league is going right?... Look at the Warriors,Milwaukee and how they're built ,The Cavs with Lebron and Tristan at the Center,OKC's success 2 years ago with Adams being able to switch on guards, Spurs with Kwai at PF vs Spurs with LMA playing with Gasol, Mavs winning a championship with Shawn Marion at PF, Heat defense was basically non stop switching on defense + why they had to move Bosh to Center and Lebron to PF.

I think my opinion on this aspect is valid.

TBpup likes this.
  6. BonesJones

Which is why I've always said Stotts needs to fix his defensive schemes and develop a better defensive mentality. Half the league uses illegal screens, yet good defensive teams still find a way to get through screens.

I'm not mocking your opinion. I do disagree. Sorry if it came across as mocking it.

Any PF is going to make mistakes. None of them are good enough to not make a bunch of mistakes. All of them come with their flaws, which is why all of them could start. No one PF is above the rest.

7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Skip to 30 seconds..

8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Meh, somebody's gonna offer him Somme Crabbe type deal and NO will have learned from his mistake.

9. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Vonleh right?

10. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

99.9% sure

KingSpeed and dviss1 like this.
  11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I still think he's the odd man out.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  12. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Rotation when Vonleh comes back? Id start him, just not sure who plays SF, Harkless or Aminu. Aminu is playing too well to bench. Harkless has been inconsistent but he still plays better when he starts.

13. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Don't start him. Aminu has been killing at the 4.

14. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Then again, if Aminu can average a double with 52% shooting from three off the bench, he'd be 6thMOTY!

15. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Spoiler: he can't