Vonleh - is he becoming a solid player?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Mar 16, 2017.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

my bad...you're right...hell talk to Charlotte too! I'd also talk to Indiana...he's from close to there and Bird loves his small town Midwestern guys..the Hick from French Lick!

2. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Dirk Nowitski is about to retire so...

3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Exactly and maybe they think they can turn Meyers into the next Dirk with Dirks help as ap layer coach now and a full on coach in the future. Not really the Next Dirk, but you know what I mean, make him a serviceable big man role player with steady minutes pulling defenses out of the paint like Dirk.

4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I still laugh at people that don't think we can move Meyers. If miles plumlee can be traded without taking more salary back, so can Meyers.

Denny Crane and BBert like this.
  5. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    One positive result of making the playoffs may be that it seems as if Young Mr Vonleh is finally starting to get a some confidence on offense. And he needs it. He may never have great on court awareness and intelligence, but his defense and rebounding are pretty good and give hope for his future: especially if he can develop a consistent mid range shot.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

This from today's article on O-Live re: Vonleh:

Quotable: "I kind of just simplified (my role). The coaching staff decided they wanted me to play around the rim -- be a dunker, be kind of like a Kenneth Faried-type player, play with energy. I'm always going to bring energy and play hard." -- Vonleh on growing more comfortable in his third NBA season

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/i...trail_blazers_gm_2017.html#incart_river_index

Good move by the coaches. But I think they should have told a few more of the players this as well. I understand the need to spread the floor but it doesn't mean our PFs (and backup center) need to be 24 feet from the rim.

dviss1 likes this.
  7. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Thanks for that. Agree with approach but he also needs to nail down a mid range/elbow jumper IMO.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    0-Our! likes this.
  8. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Not sure what his stats were for the mid range /elbow jumper after the all star break, but it looked effortless for him. I think he can shoot it at a higher clip if he stays away from the 3.

For some players, shooting a mid range shot and a 3 ball are the same motion. Dame for example seems to shoot the 3 ball with ease, same way he shoots a 12 footer. Others however tend to shoot it differently depending on the distance. ...and I think it can mess with their consistency.

Kind of like weekend golfers like myself. Some days I can be on fire with my irons, but once I take my woods out of my bag my irons go to hell. For me it's a different swing and I am often better off just staying with my irons, even if it means I can't reach the green on a few long fairway shots.

HailBlazers likes this.