Politics Voter Supression in Georgia

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Chris Craig, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    State ID cards are not free. Some of these people are barely getting by. I once worked with a guy who was on swing shift. He used to show up at work during the day shift when the checks were first issued for the day. He would come in a half an hour before checks were distributed on payday at about noon just so he could deposit his paycheck and cover checks he had written the day before. Yep, there are people like that out there. I even tried to get him to do direct deposit but that took an extra day for his pay to get credited to his account and that was a no go.
    Now, you've got people who can't afford a car and take the bus back and forth to work while walking to the store.
    There are people who can't wait in line for an ID card either because they can't afford it or if they take time off work to get their ID card, they don't get paid.
    You're dealing with people who are living on the edge and don't know how to get ahead.
    So, now you want to deny U. S. citizens the right to vote because of that which they have almost no ability to control.
    Do you think everyone in this country lives like you?

2. Lanny

How much fraud do you encounter with student voters?
    Gun permit holders are predominantly Republican, students no so much. There's your real notice for this nonsense.

3. Lanny

Not quite. It's strictly calculated from the numbers and types of degrees, high school and college.
    Of course, if one sees education as brainwashing I guess you'd have a point. Certainly, the more ignorant one is the less brainwashed. Talk about gibberish.

4. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

In doing some research on another topic I came across this.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ednc/pr/nineteen-foreign-nationals-charged-voting-2016-election

I'm not saying voter fraud is widespread and rampant, but it's obviously not just 31-billionths of a problem. No matter what the Brennan Center or the WaPo or other political scientists say. Now, is it one order of magnitude higher? 3? more? We have somewhere on the order of 11 million people residing illegally in the US. The contention that less than one of those 11 million ever voted (and that's assuming, which I don't, that only illegal immigrants fraudulently vote). Another 6M people are felons without voting rights. Less than 1 (not 1%...one) of that population ever had a fraudulent vote?

This article details how, in August, a grand jury in NC indicted 19 people for fraudulently voting in the 2016 election in NC alone. And some of those had been registered for over a decade. It's conceivable that 31 fraudulent votes were found in one district in one state.

5. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Voting is one of those jobs that most Americans just aren't willing to do - that's why we need immigrants.

barfo

6. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

So, what is the accepted margin of error? How many American citizens do you get to disenfranchise for every actually illegal vote you catch?

Frankly, my answer is zero.

7. Lanny

Look, we had 3 Million of them vote surreptitiously for Hillary, else Trump would have won the popular vote. What more do you want? Oh, I know, you want that Caravan to hurry up and get here so we can disguise those folks and hire some buses to take them from polling place to polling place thereby stealing the House from the Republicans. Typical Democrat type of thinking.

Okay, you're not a Democrat but you're devious and that's pretty much the same thing.

8. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Mine is as well. Yet no one has been able to show that requiring someone to show they are who they say they are (and are in the records) is disenfranchising. Yet in a country where a few hanging chads were the difference between W and Global Warming Al, and especially when politicians try to take more control of my life and money, I don't want a single illegal voter messing with it. And if that means that you need to get your information correct in the system, :dunno:

9. Lanny

What could the incentive be to take a chance on getting caught and then extradited by voting illegally? I would imagine that the number of offenders would be extremely small. Generally speaking, their population is more well behaved than the general population of U.S. citizens.
    Don't forget that many states allow
    Apparently, a lot of people think you're wrong about the disenfranchising of citizens because of the lack of ID. These people would include the Pennsylvania House Republican leader, Mike Truzai.
    I would like to add that voter ID ain't free and it takes time. State issued ID costs something like $50 that the poor really can't afford just to cast a single vote. Also, while they're waiting their turn, they're taking time off from a low paying job where when you don't work you don't get paid. Also, in some places like Georgia they've made some of the registration places inaccessible by public transportation plus you can only register twice a month and then the place is only open for a couple hours.

Oh, there are cads out there that want nothing better than to guarantee a Republican victory.

And how big is the problem? Minuscule at most.