Wagner Hoping For Return To NBA

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by NJNetz, Jul 25, 2007.

1. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Dajuan Wagner hopes to return to the NBA.

"Where I come from, we never quit," the Camden native said. "I don't have any quit in me, so I'm just going to keep going."

Last year, Wagner had worked hard all summer and even scored 80 points in a summer league game in Cherry Hill and looked to be the picture of health. He'd impressed the Warriors enough that they signed him to a two-year contract worth a reported $1.6 million.

He further impressed in the preseason, leading the Warriors in scoring, but then, it all came to an end quickly, and before the start of the regular season, they'd agreed to buyout the remainder of his contract and he was on a plane headed home.

Now, he is once again starring in local summer leagues, including the Rankin-Anderson League at Drexel, where he dropped 50 in a recent game.

On a recent Thursday night, Wagner looked good in another victory for his team. He scored 31 points, hitting 13 of his 21 shots, and dished out nine assists on a team, which includes his former Camden High and University of Memphis teammate Arthur Barclay. </div>
    Source

2. VinsanityVC15

VinsanityVC15 JBB JustBBall Member

I remember he scored like 100 in High School right?

3. SupraJames

SupraJames JBB JustBBall Member

yep, he scored 100 in hs before. Man that sucks for him though, he was the #6 pick in 2002..

4. NTC

NTC Active Member

I hope he can make a comeback, it sucks he had all those medical problems, because he would probably be a very servicable player in the NBA today.

5. dakeem1

dakeem1 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah feel sorry for him. How bout Jay Williams? I used to love him in Duke

6. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">NTC Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I hope he can make a comeback, it sucks he had all those medical problems, because he would probably be a very servicable player in the NBA today.</div>

I don't think he would have been that great even without the medical problems. Even before his colon started acting up, he struggled on the professional level because of his inability to run the point. He's just not smart enough to handle running the offense. He was a prolific scorer in high school, but at 6'1", he's not going to be playing two-guard in the NBA.

7. NTC

NTC Active Member

Well he averaged 13.2ppg over 47 games in his rookie season, so I dont think it would be much of a stretch to believe he could be putting up 18.0ppg today, if it were not for the problems he has had to overcome.

8. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">NTC Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well he averaged 13.2ppg over 47 games in his rookie season, so I dont think it would be much of a stretch to believe he could be putting up 18.0ppg today, if it were not for the problems he has had to overcome.</div>

The way you're presenting those stats is misleading. He averaged 13.2 ppg, but he shot 36.9% from the field and as a point guard only racked up 2.8 apg, playing for a team that finished 17-65 on the season. If he played enough minutes to put up 18.0 ppg in today's game, he'd be shooting in the low 30%'s, leading the league in turnovers, and driving whichever team he's on straight into last place.

9. NTC

NTC Active Member

Well I could also argue that he could've matured in that time, and possibly even developed more of a game at the 1, but of course this is all speculation.

10. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">NTC Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well I could also argue that he could've matured in that time, and possibly even developed more of a game at the 1, but of course this is all speculation.</div>

It wasn't that he lacked maturity though. Rather, he lacked the mental capacity. The guy's dad is a good friend of mine, and I helped run an invite-only basketball camp with him last summer, so I'm not just bashing him blindly, but he struggled learning the most basic of plays that Cleveland was running. He was actually otherwise very poised with the ball, not immature, out of control, or anything like that.

11. jbbZards

jbbZards JBB JustBBall Member

I remember Golden State picked him up at the beginning of the season but they eventually cut him a couple week later.. I still think Wagner has a very good chance to make the NBA, and he is a top scoring talent.

12. ILLmaculate

ILLmaculate JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">dakeem1 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah feel sorry for him. How bout Jay Williams? I used to love him in Duke</div>

Yeah what happend to Jay Williams? I heard he was trying to make a comeback last season. Haven't heard anything else about him.

13. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class="quote_poster">ILLmaculate Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah what happend to Jay Williams? I heard he was trying to make a comeback last season. Haven't heard anything else about him.</div>

He tried out and was cut by the Nets in training camp last year. I think that he may be on Chicago now, not entirely sure however.

14. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Well he made at least around 10 million dollars just from his NBA contracts, so I don't feel too bad for him.

Also, he might have been able to improve that percentage VC. He had a shot to be a spark off the bench.