Waive and stretch turner

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by beast crnjo, May 6, 2019.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I found the text messages from Olshey to PA when he got ET.

[​IMG]

2. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Firstly, we are stuck with them this offseason. Half of the league are FAs, making it about the best time ever to have $$$. Teams with space aren't going to take on huge salaries, even with a 1st rounder as a sweetener. It's theoretically possible that some team that missed in FA and is under the min. salary level will take one of them off our hands for a draft pick. Unlikely, but possibly worth it to get under the tax.

Secondly, @James lamphear is on to something here. They will have value at the next trade deadline in the middle of next season. However, one has to ask: are they worth more to us as expirings at that point than what other teams would be offering?

3. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Teams with cap space would probably prefer to offer big deals to mid-range free agents like Brogdon and Randle, hoping they accept them rather than absorb salary to get a late first rounder. It doesn’t help that all hopeless teams from this year will probably expect to be decent next year with the exception of Cavs and maybe Bulls, Pelicans and Grizzlies (the last two will have no cap space left anyway).

Suns, Knicks, Hawks and Mavs will want to be good and not spend much longer tanking.

4. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    It almost entirely depends on what player would be coming back in the trade. Depending on what happens this summer we might not have cap space in 2020 anyway so it's hard to say quite yet.

I will say though that acquiring certain players that were traded this year for example like Kristaps Porzingis, Otto Porter, or Tobias Harris is likely way better than anyone we could sign with cap space. You just don't want to trade expirings for a crappy player like Nic Batum unless the Hornets gave us something extremely valuable along with him (Bridges/lottery pick/etc.).

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  5. Hey

Hey Active Member

The guy should be getting zero minutes at this point. He used to have a somewhat dependable ugly short turn-around jumper. Now he bricks everything horribly. Give more minutes to Rodney, Curry, or even put Layman out there to spread the floor.

6. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

He is literally worth nothing. All that he offers is depth if there is injury but normally you can find it cheaper.

With the cap situation though even if we get rid of him we cannot sign anybody unless we renounce players so it won't make any dif. I guess just hold one more year.

7. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Your try to trade Turner/Meyers during the draft, but it probably won't happen. I expect them to be dealt at the trade deadline. Thing is, less and less teams are going to have space

8. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Atlanta is the only team with cap-space and their GM has already said he's not interested in another 2019 first since he already has two. Maybe that was a tactical statement, but this draft may be the worst in a long time in terms of teams attaching picks to bad salary. Once again, Portland has bad timing

Chris Craig likes this.
  9. wizenheimer

the bad thing about stretching Turner is it doesn't give Portland cap-space. Even worse, it doesn't give the Blazers enough margin to use the full-MLE. It's a lose-lose

the only reason to do so is if Jody Allen says minimal tax next season and ET needs to be stretched in order to re-sign Kanter and Hood while minimizing tax

Chris Craig likes this.
  10. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    The Hawks aren't under the cap. No team is enough below to help us until the new league year begins.

Chris Craig likes this.
  11. wizenheimer

you're right...I forgot about the 25M on the books for Melo.

Chris Craig likes this.
  12. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

It really what there offering and I wouldn't take on anyone that not expiring too and upgrade our roster. So basically we are probably stuck with the whole season.

13. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

Layman is 6 for 21 in his last 10 games he has played and shot from 3. I think Denver would be happy to have Jake out there shooting 3's. Plus as soon as he did come in in game 2 they attacked him on defense until Stotts had to take him out because he was getting burned so bad. Jake needs to stay on the bench.

14. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

This would be part of a bigger plan to retain hood, curry and kanter.

Trade our 1st for Meyers relief
    Trade HARK for a 2nd
    Waive stretch turner
    Let aminu walk

We'd have 19 mil in cap plus mle.

15. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    First of all, you don't get the MLE if you go below the cap.

2nd of all, as I've stated numerous times there isn't a single team that can take Harkless or Leonard before the new league year starts without giving us close to equal salary in return. Once free agency starts teams are going to be trying to pursue free agents, not wasting their cap space on our crap. By the time teams would possibly be willing to use cap space for the trades you suggested free agency is practically winding down.

Kanter, Hood, and Curry aren't restricted free agents. They aren't going to wait around for 10-14 days in hopes that Portland might be able to open up some room while other teams spend all their money.

I'm not saying those guys are definitely gone but the only way they stay is if they accept below market value.

16. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

Well..maybe we should unload cj. I don't think we'd miss him much. Lakers have a lot of space and want a star. Trade him for their #1, or have them take Meyers. Let Simons and hood take over.

17. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    can't happen.