Politics War with Iran

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by The Professional Fan, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Here's a perfect use of a saying that I learned from my Army Basic Training Drill Instructor, Trump is the lawn and us voters are the lawn mower.

2. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

This somehow looks better than his actual hair.

yankeesince59 likes this.
  3. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

Ha ! I thought it was funny when Trump and Jong Un first met...two world leaders who also had the 2 worst hair-dos in the world, in the same room.

But what if they swapped hair-dos?

[​IMG]

Ugh...no worse, but no better either.

4. Lanny

Looks like the aftermath of the application of Trump logic.
    It also looks like a quagmire in the Middle East which began as a legitimate removal of the Taliban in Afghanistan who were supporting Al Qaeda who attacked us on 9-11.
    Iran would have been more manageable if we had stuck to our nuclear deal with them.
    Iraq would not have been nearly as bad if we had planned some adequate nation building so the the Shiites would not have shit on the Sunnis.
    Syria would have been better had we made a plan to remove al-Assad and stuck to it.
    Now look what we've got.

5. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Syria would have been better had we NOT made a plan to remove Assad, very popular with his own people as was Saddam.

As you should have learned in Vietnam, all the propaganda in the world calling someone a dictator, won't overthrow the system that the people overwhelmingly want to keep.

MARIS61 and bodyman5000 and 1 like this.
  6. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

You obviously didn't see that CNN reporter sniffing that backpack that was part of the chemical weapons attack.

If you don't want Assad killed after this....oh man

MARIS61 and jonnyboy like this.
  7. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Endless war talking points.

8. yankeesince59

1. Hitler was popular with his people too, well for awhile anyway.

9. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Dems silent on Iran protests as demonstrators blame regime, not Trump, for plane crash
    By Ronn Blitzer | Fox News

Democratic congressional leaders and presidential candidates
    who were unsparing in their criticism of President Trump for the escalation with Iran over the past two weeks largely have gone silent now that the protests on the streets of Tehran and beyond have turned their rage toward the regime — and not the Trump White House.

Even as videos emerged online Monday that purportedly show Iranian police and security forces firing live ammunition to disperse protesters, so far among the 2020 Democratic candidates only former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., have spoken out in support of the people.

IRANIAN SECURITY FORCES PURPORTEDLY FIRE LIVE AMMUNITION TO DISPERSE PROTESTERS

The protesters have railed against the government following the shoot-down of a passenger plane that the Iranian government initially denied involvement in — Tehran later admitted they downed the jet in a misfire during attacks against U.S. bases in Iraq, following Trump's takedown of top Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani.

Trump has issued statements supporting the demonstrations, but his political opponents have been almost entirely silent — after earlier criticizing the Soleimani strike and in some cases even faulting Trump for the fatal plane crash.

Journalist Yashar Ali, who is of Iranian descent and has friends and family there, called out the left for being silent when it comes to the protests, in a viral Twitter thread about the situation.

“I've gone through some of the most active and prominent liberal Twitter accounts and none of them mentioned the Iran protests today,” Ali tweeted Sunday. “These same people were actively tweeting about wanting to avoid war and attacking Trump for his decision.”

Ali continued, claiming that Trump’s critics have been using the situation in Iran to attack the president.

“In this context, Iranians are being used by certain people on the left (i didn't say all) as a tool to attack President Trump. But these same people don't seem to care to ... support their right to protest?” he said.

Ali implied that because the protesters were criticizing their own leaders and not blaming President Trump, “it wasn’t worth it” for liberals to talk about them.

TRUMP ISSUES WARNING TO IRAN: 'DO NOT KILL YOUR PROTESTERS ... THE USA IS WATCHING'

Other high-profile Democrats, such as House Majority Leader Rep. Steny Hoyer, D-Md., Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., House Democratic Caucus Chairman Rep. Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., and House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Rep. Eliot Engel, D-N.Y., have yet to make any statement regarding the protests.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was asked if she supported the protesters during an interview with ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday, and she responded by claiming that there were “different reasons” for the protests, including opposition to the U.S., despite being informed otherwise.

“The protesters are protesting as I understand, this brand of protesters about the fact that that plane went down and many students were on that plane and these are largely students in the street,” Pelosi said. When host George Stephanopoulos told her that the protestors were demonstrating against their government for lying to them and that they were calling for death to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Pelosi replied, “Well, whatever it is.”

The so-called “Squad” – freshman congresswomen Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass. and Ilhan Omar, D-Minn. – has refrained from speaking about the protests.

10. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    As was Obama.

Both killed many Jews.

11. yankeesince59

lol...so you're vainly trying to somehow lump Obama into the same group as Hitler, Sadam, and Assad?...seriously?

Try again...maybe, just maybe, one of these days you'll get something right...I doubt it, but hey, by all means, keep trying.

Lanny likes this.
  12. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Photos taken at Iraq base where US troops are stationed show scale of damage following Iranian airstrikes

By Greg Norman | Fox News
    The U.S. Air Force spotted Iran moving ballistic missiles ahead of their strike against two U.S. bases in Iraq.

American troops are in the process of clearing debris and rubble from an area the size of a football stadium Monday at a military base in western Iraq that was hit by Iranian airstrikes.

The attack on the Ain al-Asad base last Wednesday, where about 1,500 American and coalition forces are stationed, was carried out in retaliation for the killing of Iranian Revolutionary Guards Gen. Qassem Soleimani. An Associated Press crew touring the facility Monday saw damaged military trailers as well as forklifts lifting rubble and loading it onto trucks.

“There were more than 10 large missiles fired and the impact hit several areas along the airfield,” said Col. Myles Caggins, a spokesman for the U.S.-led coalition fighting Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria.

[​IMG]
    U.S. soldiers and journalists inspect the rubble at a site of Iranian bombing, in Ain al-Asad base in Anbar, Iraq, on Monday. (AP)

He added that the explosions at the base, which is about 110 miles west of Baghdad, created large craters, knocked over concrete barriers and destroyed facilities that house dozens of soldiers.

AERIAL IMAGES OF IRANIAN ATTACK ON IRAQ BASE

Although no troops were killed, Caggins said several were treated for concussions and are being assessed by professionals. Caggins also explained that troops received notification the missiles were on their way, thanks to early warning systems, and described those who lived through the attack as “warriors.”

[​IMG]
    U.S. soldiers walk past damage at the Ain al-Asad base on Monday. (AP)

The area at the base where rubble was piled up Monday is about the size of a football stadium, The Associated Press reports.

The Ain al-Asad base was first used by American forces after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion that toppled Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein and later saw American troops stationed there amid the fight against ISIS.

President Trump visited the sprawling airbase in December 2018, making his first presidential visit to troops in the region. Vice President Pence has also visited the base.

[​IMG]
    A bulldozer clears rubble and debris at the base. (AP)

U.S. Army Lt. Col. Antoinette Chase told reporters the night of the attacks the troops were in bunkers but could “feel everything shaking.”

“I had zero casualties and everybody is alive to tell the tale. So as far as I'm concerned, I couldn't be happier and I couldn't be prouder of the actions that the soldiers and the coalition forces took that night,” she added.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

13. Lanny

Most of the people in Syria wish he were dead. You're thinking of the minority population, Shiite.

14. yankeesince59

Yeah, no shit...that was AFTER Trump assassinated Soleimani...duh. Do you ever actually read the garbage you copy and paste?

15. bodyman5000 and 1

Where the fuck did he say it wasn't?

Where the fuck in the article does it say it wasn't?

If we are just making random unrelated to anything statments I spent way too much on Amazon last year.

16. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  17. bodyman5000 and 1

Why don't you point out what I missed?

Oh, you can't. Not surprised.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2020
  18. bodyman5000 and 1

Maybe you can help me then. This was right there in the article.

The attack on the Ain al-Asad base last Wednesday, where about 1,500 American and coalition forces are stationed, wascarried out in retaliationfor the killing of Iranian Revolutionary GuardsGen. Qassem Soleimani

Did I miss something?

19. yankeesince59

...it's pretty clear that you missed everything when put into context...do you know what context means, right?

...your mini-me never acknowledge that his post answered the very question he was posing...if you cannot keep up with the "context" to wit I was responding to, don't pretend that you even know what the convo was about.

20. yankeesince59

Hmmmm, I wasn't aware that someone could actually "comp" a room at HIE...hope you enjoyed the "complementary breakfast".