Warrick says he's going #9.

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by upsidedownside7, Jun 16, 2005.

1. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't believe the Warrick rumor for the same reasons I don't believe the Frye rumor. They're both seniors and it's still to early for teams to be giving promises.

But this Warrick one especially doesn't make sense to me because he's no better than the 4th best power forward on any team's draft board (Vazquez, Diogu, and Splitter all have to be ahead of him). I've also got May and Simien (and Andriuskevicius if I could convince him to stay in) ahead of Warrick on my own irrelevant pf draft board.

I'd also prefer to trade back 5-10 spots and grab Blatche if they were going for a long, athletic big man.

2. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kwan1031:</div><div class="quote_post">This is second straight years that we know who we are going to draft way before the draft comes. Is there a spy in our upper management or something?</div>
    St. Jean was the one who always played the draft close to the vest. Now that he's gone it seems pretty clear that Mullin has a different way fo doing things.

Still, I can't believe this rumor is true.

3. Duckmyster

Duckmyster JBB JustBBall Member

I personally never heard of Warrick until today but, going by the reports on him I could see why Mullin might draft him. Mullin probably sees Warrick coming of the bench with Pietrus and Fisher to give the second Warriors unit a more frenzy defensive attack. The part that makes no sense to me is the Warriors making a promise to any player unless some other team wants him and the Warriors are planning to draft him for somebody else and get an extra pick or player or the Warriors are just planning to throw some teams off track with this rumor.

4. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Duckmyster:</div><div class="quote_post">I personally never heard of Warrick until today but, going by the reports on him I could see why Mullin might draft him. Mullin probably sees Warrick coming of the bench with Pietrus and Fisher to give the second Warriors unit a more frenzy defensive attack. The part that makes no sense to me is the Warriors making a promise to any player unless some other team wants him and the Warriors are planning to draft him for somebody else and get an extra pick or player or the Warriors are just planning to throw some teams off track with this rumor.</div>
    Warrick can be a bit of a steal, but he's not worth it at 9. I think that B-Diddy, J-Rich, Pietrus, Warrick, adn Biedrins can be a very fun unit to watch off the bench. Pietrus and Warrick are both freakily athletic and can be very good to us.

Also, I don't see Fisher as a good defender, he's more of a let 'em by type of guy

5. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

I actually like that pick, because if you guys want to get rid of dunleavy jr. this guy who has apparently had some great workouts, can play the 3 or 4 position. Then GS could see which one they want him to play and they could grab a free agent sf or pf like Stromile Swift, Tyson Chandler, Udonis Haslem(even though I hope he wont leave Miami, Bobby Simmons, Kyle Korver, or Bonzi Wells.

6. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting playmaker31:</div><div class="quote_post">I actually like that pick, because if you guys want to get rid of dunleavy jr. this guy who has apparently had some great workouts, can play the 3 or 4 position. Then GS could see which one they want him to play and they could grab a free agent sf or pf like Stromile Swift, Tyson Chandler, Udonis Haslem(even though I hope he wont leave Miami, Bobby Simmons, Kyle Korver, or Bonzi Wells.</div>
    I'm not for the idea o f getting a PF free agent unless we can get Udonis Haslem cheap. The rest are going to be very pricey. I'm not sure who would start at SF though if we got rid of Dunleavy.... I'm not ready to throw it to Warrick

7. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I wouldn't like to see us pick Warrick, he is not just a tweener but has no real postition. Jamison could play two positions effectively at least, this guy cant do that. I assume that if Granger isn't around when we pick, Graham would be the next SF on our short list, followed by Wright, then maybe Warrick. He may be an athletic freak but Granger is athletic and Graham is freakishly strong and athletic. He could be a good pick if we trade down and Blatche, Diogu, Bynum, Graham, and Vasquez are gone.

8. Map1986

Map1986 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting playmaker31:</div><div class="quote_post">I actually like that pick, because if you guys want to get rid of dunleavy jr. this guy who has apparently had some great workouts, can play the 3 or 4 position. </div>

it's not that he can play the 3 or the 4, which dunleavy can, it's that warrick can do some things a 3 does and some things a 4 does, but can't do some things a 3 can do(dribble) and some things a 4 can do(man up down low on a big)...

9. YugoRocketsFan

YugoRocketsFan BBW Member

Never, dont ever get a PF, you already have Troy Murphy averaging 16 and 10. Why another power forward, it will just ruin his minutes and Troy Murphy is pretty underrated too and he averages a double double, Either Draft Martynas Andriuskevicius or someone else that is predicted in the first round at the Center position, Adonal Foyle isnt good enough to start but he can block, so thats why you would need him off the bench. My prediction is try and get Channing Frye.

10. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting YugoRocketsfan:</div><div class="quote_post">Never, dont ever get a PF, you already have Troy Murphy averaging 16 and 10. Why another power forward, it will just ruin his minutes and Troy Murphy is pretty underrated too and he averages a double double, Either Draft Martynas Andriuskevicius or someone else that is predicted in the first round at the Center position, Adonal Foyle isnt good enough to start but he can block, so thats why you would need him off the bench. My prediction is try and get Channing Frye.</div>
    You obviously do not follow the WArriors at all. Murphy may average a double-double, but most of his points are from the perimeter. Also we need some back-up pretty soon

11. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

A real fun question is this-What will Murph be when the season starts? Will he show up bulked,aiming to be a C,a better power guy on offense,will he show up with better quiclness and lift,aiming to be a more complete F,even if a fewlb lighter?

If Warrick or Diogu is our pick,a similar tradeoff between bulk/power and quickness/spring applies. Warrick can gain 10lb or more,but that might lessen his major talent,the sudden drive to the basket. Ike was back to 255 at the Chicago camp,showed muscle but his speed did not test real good. He was about 245 in season and at 240-245 would have the quicks to get some SF use,while still having his PF game. An Ike-Lite would be a mutha posting up lanky SF's. If Murph adds more C ability to his PF game,Ike would be a great PF sidekick,adding an element we lacked as a power guy in the paint.

Granger is showing up pretty high on some mocks....I shoulda bad mouthed him,I guess. We still may have a shot. Graham is interesting though his package is so much like Pietrus/J Rich.

Martynas Andristarvinmartyn had the wingspan of a parakeet and similar power in the bench press. I guess he's gotta make it on the basis of his basketball SKILLS [​IMG]

Mullin promised he'd pick me in round 3 or 4 if my vertical improves to 6" [​IMG]

12. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Well, despite the fact Martynas A. has alligator arms and a neck longer than his wingspan (j/k), he's got a good reach of at least (9' 4 1/2").

What does bother me is he's freakin' weak. The fact he can't even bench 80% of his own body weight is pretty pathetic and I'm sure the amount of weight he can squat is also pretty subpar. His legs don't look anything like the tree trunks of the Yao's or Illgauskus' so I don't see him even being able to handle power forwards defensively. If he's one of these one-dimensional scoring types that like the perimeter a lot, it's tough for our franchise because we don't need players like that.

13. Run BJM

Marty A. = Skita plus 3 inches but probably not as good at shooting.

14. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">Marty A. = Skita plus 3 inches but probably not as good at shooting.</div>
    The 3 inches part is probably all in his neck.

11 more days to draft and things have been both quiet and ridiculous. We still don't know how many first round draft workouts the Warriors have had so far (seems kind of odd we haven't taken a look at Antoine Wright, Martell Webster, Blatche, or Bynum) and we've heard some ridiculous rumors that the Warriors are drafting either Frye or Warrick (collge seniors who obviously aren't going to pull out of the draft). I don't think we even looked at Petro either.

15. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">The 3 inches part is probably all in his neck.

11 more days to draft and things have been both quiet and ridiculous. We still don't know how many first round draft workouts the Warriors have had so far (seems kind of odd we haven't taken a look at Antoine Wright, Martell Webster, Blatche, or Bynum) and we've heard some ridiculous rumors that the Warriors are drafting either Frye or Warrick (collge seniors who obviously aren't going to pull out of the draft). I don't think we even looked at Petro either.</div>

I'm pretty sure that the media doesn't often know when teams work out underclassmen, which may explain why we havent heard of workouts for some these prospects. I'm also sure Mully and his scouts were watching some of the workouts in Chicago during the pre-draft camp.

16. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

You can forget about Webster. He had a awesome workout in Portland where he played better than McCants and another college kid. Nash was raving about his defense, his handle and his shot. John Nash used the term "lights out". Nash also said they are definitley looking into picking him at 3. I don't know how Webster would fit here but I would love to take him. Forget about Webster slipping.

17. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

M Anrdrisinnyass shot 31% from the FT line this year,making him as likely to hit a 3 as Stevie Wonder.

18. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">M Anrdrisinnyass shot 31% from the FT line this year,making him as likely to hit a 3 as Stevie Wonder.</div>
    Of course shooting a three point shot is a bit different from shooting at the foul line (See Antoine Walker), but mainly the guy hasn't shown much except for a few flashes of Euro-Shaq when he dunks two handed, some long range bombs, and some displays of nice interior passing where he backs his man down then throws the ball one-handed around the defender to a teammate. Everything else, his game and body could be fixed if he eats his weaties and starts hitting the weights and keeps working out with Ardvyas Sabonis on his inside game.

I think Stevie Wonder could actually give Marty a run for his money at the 3 point line and if not, certainly it would be the bench press with at least being able to do 185 lbs once. What's funny is that JRich and Bdidy weigh in about 225 or 230 and Marty A. weighs like 227. If the guy is anything like Joe Smith, he will not fill out, but at least Joe Smith was a stronger 225 lbs.

19. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting upsidedownside7:</div><div class="quote_post">You can forget about Webster. He had a awesome workout in Portland where he played better than McCants and another college kid. Nash was raving about his defense, his handle and his shot. John Nash used the term "lights out". Nash also said they are definitley looking into picking him at 3. I don't know how Webster would fit here but I would love to take him. Forget about Webster slipping.</div>
    I guess Nash can afford to rave about anyone since he's #3 in the draft and #1 and #2 are pretty much going to be either Bogut or Williams, but maybe he's looking for a trade down if he can still get the player he wants and maybe dump some bad contracts if its possible.

20. AA13

AA13 JBB JustBBall Member

I actually agree with hiim. Warrick's draft stock has skyrocketed over the last month. The Warriors need a quality big man so I have no problem with them going after Warrick.