Warriors 105 Blazers 87

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Trail_Blazer76, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

Preview: Warriors @ Blazers

Please only discuss the game from the Blazer's perspective. If you want to discuss it from the Warrior's POV go here: Link

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]

<font color="Red">Blazers: 17-23 (Won 1)</font> <font color="DarkOrange">Warriors: 17-25 (Lost 2)</font>

<font color="Red">By Trail_Blazer 76</font> and <font color="DarkOrange">Rudeezy</font>

When: Saturday, January 24th
    Where: Rose Garden
    Time: 3:30pm ET

Probable Starters

[​IMG][​IMG] Damon Stoudamire/Speedy Claxton
    [​IMG][​IMG] Derek Anderson/Jason Richardson
    [​IMG][​IMG] Rasheed Wallace/Mike Dunleavy Jr.
    [​IMG][​IMG] Zach Randolph/Clifford Robinson
    [​IMG][​IMG] Vladimir Stepania/Erick Dampier

Key Matchup
    Rasheed Wallace vs Mike Dunleavy Jr.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Since the trade rumors "ended" Sheed has brought his A-game every night. With him out of the line-up the Blazers suffered, and regardless of Randolph's breakout this year the Blazers can't win if Sheed doesn't play well. Tonight there isn't a mismatch size-wise (they are the same weight, all Sheed has is two inches on Dunleavy) so Sheed will need to use his superior post game as a way of intimidated Dunleavy early in the game.

Dunleavy is an excellent outside shooter, but doesn't have a scorer's mentality. With Van Exel being out on the IL, Dunleavy will need to pick up his scoring to help make up for Nick's explosiveness. There is no way that Dunleavy will be able to contain Sheed in the post, so he will need to find a way to force outside shooter, and prevent Sheed from establishing position.

X-factors
    Ruben Patterson & Brian Cardinal
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Ruben Patterson may very well be given the assignment of guarding JRich. Although his fg% says otherwise, Richardson is a mediocre shooter. He is one of those players who only hits outside shots once he gets his confidence up by getting some dunks and lay-ups. Although Ruben has been giving us a lot of scoring lately, tonight we only need him for his defense. The loss of Nick means that JRich will be getting more touches. Tonight the Kobe-stopper will have to be the Jason-stopper.

Brian Cardinal. He is still recovering from the flu and is trying to gain some of his lost weight back. This guy has been key for the Warriors all year and he must get back to that guy.

[​IMG]<font color="Red"> The Trail to Victory</font>

The Blazers won't have to do much to win this one. As I've said many times, the Blazers do best when there isn't a mismatch at pg. Stoudamire's inability to play defense wont matter in this game (as much), and he should be able to score more easily than normal. Both Randolph and Sheed should be able to score at will, and the Warrior's don't appear to have any offensive threats or mismatches tonight.

[​IMG] <font color="DarkOrange">Winning the Battle</font>

The Warriors will have their hands full in Portland. For the Warriors to have a chance, they must rebound rebound and rebound. 2nd chance shot opportunities will be key in this game. The Warriors have given up way too many offensive rebounds during their road losing streak. If Dampier continues his dominance in the paint and gets a little help on the boards, the Warriors will be in great shape.

***Prediction***

These teams have two things in common: both are excellent at home, and both are horrible on the road. Unfortunately for the Warriors this game is at the Rose Garden. Oh yeah, and Nick-the-quick won't be playing tonight.

Blazers by 7.

2. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

I love the avatar TB, lol. I think that the Blazers will win by 10 since it's at home, they are a completely different team at home and on the road.

3. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

Good Preview guys... I like Blazers in a close contest. I agree they are a totally different team at home... Rasheed looks like he actually involved in games at home rather than on the road.

4. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

The Blazers are gonna take this one, hands down, mark my words. Rasheed is going to kill them, plus they have Mr. MIP, Zach Randolph. Derek Anderson has been playing really hard and really well as of late, he will undoubtly play some good ball. Hopefully Davis and Sheed can hold down the defensive end amongst themselves. It's great to see Claxton starting, I hope NVE gets better soon. Blazers by 9. Good luck everybody!

5. Trail_Blazer76

I think the Blazers will manhandle the Warriors for the first three quaters and start the fourth with a big lead. Then they'll allow the Warriors to go on a run. In the end the Blazers will prevail, but Cheeks will have some gray hairs by the end of the game.

BTW guys, please take the time to respond to this preview in Rudeezy's forum from the Warrior's perspective here.

6. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

Damon vs Speedy Claxton will be good to watch. Two tiny Point guards will good speed going at it. I saw the Warriors win this one by 4. I think Cliff Robinson will do a good job on Randolph and Sheed.

7. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">Tonight the Kobe-stopper will have to be the Jason-stopper.</div>

lol, I hope he does a better job as the "Jason-stopper" than he was as the "Kobe-stopper"...

Good preview TB...Considering the blazers are such a good home team, and the warriors are such a bad road team, I'm picking Blazers by 12.

btw, is that Blazers lineup their new starting lineup? or is it temporary...

8. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting notMuchgame:</div><div class="quote_post">btw, is that Blazers lineup their new starting lineup? or is it temporary...</div>

I'm not sure, in fact I'm not even sure if DA will be starting. Normally it would have been Mcinnis, but he's gone now. The only other options at sg were Patterson or Dmiles. I don't see Cheeks starting Patterson, and it is Dmile's first game. However I think there is a good chance that this lineup will be commonly used after the allstar break.

Edit: I just read an article where Cheeks said that Davis will not be starting tonight. Go here to find out why!

9. jump

jump JBB JustBBall Member

Good preview.I think it will be close, but I say Blazers take it in the end.

Blazers by 5

10. Trail_Blazer76

Ok the game just started, and Cheeks ended up starting Patterson. So our starting 5 looks like this: Mouse, DA, Patterson, Randolph, Sheed.

Warriors up 6 to 3 early.

11. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

I'm thinking GS is going to upset Portland. Look for a big game from Richardson and I don't Sheed will be able to keep his hot streak going. Warriors by 10

12. Blinger0723

Blinger0723 JBB JustBBall Member

1st quarter is over. Miles came in gave a huge spark he got 4-1-1 so far he is looking posised this the miles i have been wanting to see! GO MILES.

13. Trail_Blazer76

It's halftime and the Warriors are up by 6, 58-52. The Blazers have yet to have the lead in this game, while the Warriors were leading by 14 at one point.

JRich has gone 7-9 and has 17 points, also 3-3 from downtown. Dampier has given the Warriors 12 points of 5-7 shooting.

Randolph leads the Blazers with 16 points on 8-10 shooting.

Dmiles is having a solid first game in Portland with 6-2-2 3 for 4 shooting.

14. Blinger0723

Blinger0723 JBB JustBBall Member

Miles played really good. Blazers got the loss, still i havent seen miles play like that in a while, playing defense getting offensive rebounds hussling for loose balls dunking posting up and making shots.

15. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting notMuchgame:</div><div class="quote_post">lol, I hope he does a better job as the "Jason-stopper" than he was as the "Kobe-stopper"...</div>He wasn't the "Jason-stopper" today.[​IMG]

Jason Richardson was 7 for his first 7 from behind the arc and finished with 31 points. Dampier had monster game with 18 points and 20 rebounds. I said that the Warriors would need to control the glass and they did just that.

On a positive note for the Blazers, D-Miles looked pretty good. Hopefully he has finally found a new home.

16. Trail_Blazer76

The most amazing part about Miles' performance is the fact that he had 4 assists.

Blazers still fell. As I predicted they fell asleep in the 4th quarter. We went into the fourth down 4, and ended up losing by 18. Unacceptable.

Box Score

Here's your first look at Dmiles in a Blazer uni:
    [​IMG]

17. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

The Blazers inconsistant play continues.

How do you beat Kings in arco then come back home and lose to a team without two starters?