Warriors 2007 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by jason bourne, May 25, 2007.

1. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Now that the draft positions have been settled, the 2007 NBA Draft is a little over a month away on June 28, 2007. Let the discussion for the draft picks and draft day trade ideas for the Warriors begin [​IMG] !!!

Key Dates to remember
    May 29 NBA Pre-Draft Camp begins
    June 18 Deadline for early entrants to withdraw

NBA Draft Information
    What: 2007 NBA Draft
    When: June 28, 2007 (ESPN, 7 ET)
    Where: Madison Square Garden, NY
    Rounds: Two rounds

2. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Projected 2007 NBA Draft Order

Round One
    1. Memphis
    2. Boston
    3. Milwaukee
    4. Phoenix (from Atlanta) - (1)
    5. Seattle
    6. Portland
    7. Minnesota
    8. Charlotte
    9. Chicago (from New York) - (2)
    10. Sacramento
    11. Atlanta (from Indiana) - (3)
    12. Philadelphia
    13. New Orleans
    14. L.A. Clippers

Lottery on May 22 will determine the order for picks 1-14

15. Detroit (from Orlando)
    16. Washington
    17. New Jersey
    18. Golden State
    19. L.A. Lakers
    20. Miami
    21. Philadelphia (from Denver)
    22. Charlotte (from Toronto via Cleveland)
    23. New York (from Chicago) - (2)
    24. Phoenix (from Cleveland via Boston)
    25. Utah
    26. Houston
    27. Detroit
    28. San Antonio
    29. Phoenix
    30. Philadelphia (from Dallas via Golden State and Denver

Round Two
    31. Seattle (from Memphis)
    32. Boston
    33. San Antonio (from Milwaukee)
    34. Dallas (from Atlanta)
    35. Seattle
    36. Golden State (from Minnesota)
    37. Portland
    38. Philadelphia (from New York via Chicago)
    39. Orlando (from Sacramento via Utah)
    40. L.A. Lakers (from Charlotte)
    41. Minnesota (from Philadelphia)
    42. Portland (from Indiana)
    43. New Orleans
    44. Orlando
    45. L.A. Clippers
    46. Golden State (from New Jersey)
    47. Washington
    48. L.A. Lakers
    49. Chicago (from Golden State via Phoenix, Boston and Denver)
    50. Dallas (from Miami via L.A. Lakers)
    51. Chicago (from Denver)
    52. Portland (from Toronto)
    53. Portland (from Chicago)
    54. Orlando (from Cleveland)
    55. Utah
    56. Milwaukee (from Houston)
    57. Detroit
    58. San Antonio
    59. Phoenix
    60. Dallas

NOTE: With respect to the ties between Portland and Minnesota (36 and 37); New York, Charlotte and Sacramento (38, 39 and 40); and Philadelphia and Indiana (41 and 42): since the order of selection in the first round for each set of teams may change based on the results of the Draft Lottery, the order of selection in the second round cannot be determined until after the Draft Lottery is conducted on May 22.

Key
    1 - To Phoenix (Protected 1-3)
    2 - Chicago can swap picks with New York
    3 - To Atlanta (Protected 1-10)

Overall
    No Picks: Cleveland, Denver, Indiana and Toronto

1st Round No Pick: Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Indiana, Orlando and Toronto

1 Pick Other Than Own: Atlanta (Indiana)

2 Picks: Charlotte (Own, Toronto), Detroit (Own, Orlando)

3 Picks: Philadelphia (Own, Dallas, Denver), Phoenix (Own, Atlanta, Cleveland)

2nd Round
    No Pick: Atlanta, Charlotte, Cleveland, Denver, Houston, Indiana, Memphis, Miami, New Jersey, New York, Toronto

1 Pick Other Than Own: Minnesota (Philadelphia), Philadelphia (New York or Utah)

2 Picks Other Than Own: Chicago (Denver, Golden State via Phoenix, Boston and Denver), Golden State (Minnesota, New Jersey)

2 Picks: L.A. Lakers (Own, Charlotte), San Antonio (Own, Milwaukee), Seattle (Own, Memphis)

3 Picks: Dallas (Own, Atlanta, Miami), Orlando (Own, Cleveland, Sacramento)

4 Picks: Portland (Own, Chicago, Indiana, Toronto)</div>

ESPN NBA 2007 Draft Order Link

Warriors have 3 picks: #s 18, 36, and 46

3. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Wow, so the Warriors get three draft picks? If we add those three players (and assume they make the team's roster) along with adding the three rookies from last season (POB, Azubuike, and Kosta), then this team gets younger, which is unthinkable. However it is kind of exciting to see how it all might turn out.

In this draft I think the Warriors should go in hoping to get a PG, perhaps a replacement for the free agents of Barnes and Pietrus, and since this draft is rich in PF's and C's perhaps they can land one of them too. I think the main goal is to get the best player available, and if the first two doesn't include a PG, then take one with the final second round pick.

4. oaktank88

oaktank88 JBB JustBBall Member

this may seem kinda high, but i think at 18 we should draft rodney stuckey. this guy will be a star in this league. he is underrated for being on the team and conference that he is in, but this guy has lottery pick game. He is perfect for our system as well. He's a 6' 4 1/2" combo guard in the mold of D-Wade and Arenas. He can handle, run, pass, shoot, rebound, defend, has hops/strong athleticism, and is a leader out on the floor. Whoever gets this guy will be getting the steal of the draft. I just hope we don't resign pietrus and maybe even barnes and pick up stuckey.

5. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

I'd like to see the Warriors go after Jared Dudley with one of their second round picks (it'd probably have to be #36). Based on what he did at the Orlando pre-draft camp, he looks like a perfect insurance policy/replacement for Barnes and/or Pietrus. Here's what draftexpress had to say about him:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Our staff?s unanimous MVP, Jared Dudley embodies exactly the type of underrated role-player that NBA teams can seek out here to help them win games. He did a terrific job showing off the many facets of his game, crashing the boards with 14 rebounds in 40 minutes over the last two games, pushing the ball up the floor with terrific poise, dishing out some excellent assists, playing very smart, tough defense at the small forward position, and shooting the ball extremely well from 18-22 feet out. He played unselfish, winning basketball?shooting 60% from the field and 89% from the free throw line?showing outstanding leadership skills amongst his teammates and carrying Team Four on his back late in the last game when they needed some clutch points to pull off the victory. As it turns out, he didn?t lead the strongest conference in America in points and rebounds while shooting 56% from the field and 44% from behind the arc and dishing out 3 assists per game for nothing. Who would have thought?

While most ACC player of the year award winners wouldn?t come anywhere this event if not for the physical only portion of the camp, Dudley was here showing NBA executives how he can be of service to them next year. He certainly has his limitations?shot-creating ability, a lack of explosiveness around the rim, lateral quickness?but to his credit, he is very much aware of them and wants to be drafted by a team where he can minimize them in an effort to compliment other players and win games. He clearly has the basketball IQ to do so, already having ?figured out? how to get the most of his skills. Now that he?s figured out that he needs to abandon the college mentality of outmuscling the competition to outquicking them (he?s already lost over 12 pounds), he?s already improving his physical attributes, with even more room to go. His teammate Craig Smith at Boston College was underappreciated by draft gurus (DraftExpress included) similarly exactly one year ago, and went onto be one of the best rookies in the NBA this past season. We learned our lesson not to dismiss the non-prototypes even if they don?t physically look exactly like most NBA superstars?will NBA GMs do the same? </div>
    link

His stock is way up right now, but I think it'll come back to down by draft time.

I remain very confident that the Warriors are going to get a player with the #36 pick who'll be in the rotation by the end of the year. My favorites are Sean Williams, Glen Davis, and Dudley. The problem is they all keep rising on everyone's draft boards, but I'm willing to bet that one of 'em will fall on draft night. I could also see them going after Dominic McGuire and maybe even the local product DeVon Hardin (who really needs to back to Cal for another year).

6. AlleyOop

"Big Baby" Glen Davis would be a hoot in Nellie's system. I actually like his game, but can he run the floor? He's almost 300 pounds, I think...

7. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

^Yeah, he's around that range.

I just don't think he'd be able to run in Nelson's system, unless he loses more weight.

8. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I actually think Big Baby would be a good fit in Nellie's system. He played at around 295 last season and played 35 minutes a game, from what I've heard hes working out more to get a bit more trim so that will help even more. Even back when he was well over 300 lbs he was much more nimble than most bigs and got off the floor and up to the rim quicker than most bigs.

Hes got the skills to fit very well in Nellie's system though. He likes to face up in the mid post area at the elbow or on the baseline and outquick the defender. Hes got a decent jumpshot out to college 3 and can score inside and out, gets to the FT line well, has a good handle and can push the break. Hes proven himself as a guy who can play well against NBA quality/sized guys when he got the opportunity at LSU and his position defense is pretty good although tall bigs can shoot over him easily. Hes a guy who likes to have plenty of freedom in the offense as he will often push the break, take a 3, or try a flashy pass and most coaches would probably bench him if he tried that. Nellie would gladly accept his flashy style of play and even condone it because its his versatility that makes Big Baby effective.

Of course with small, heavy big men you always run the risk of them being busts because they're just too small or unathletic to be effective in the NBA. However theres been a recent trend of athletic, undersized, bulky PFs coming into the league and being effective in a scrapper/rebounder role; Craig Smith, Paul Millsap, Jason Maxiel, David Lee, Chuck Hayes, Sean May, Ryan Gomes, Leon Powe (when he got minutes). Big Baby could be the next guy on this list. The only thing that I would be concerned about is his length though because most of those guys have long arms that help to make up for his lack of height.

9. AlleyOop

I like Glen Davis. He would instantly bring toughness, swagger, and power to our post game. He was a stud in college, and seemed to be the "alpha" male on the court.

I think it's definately worth a chance with a secound round pick, but keep in mind the NBA is an entirely different speed than college, and Nellie will probably demand that he cut serious weight, probably an unrealistic amount, such that it will only hinder his progress and possibly deflate his confidence. Better for him to get on a team like Detroit or the Knicks where he can play half-court and play heavy.

10. wtwalker77

The other guy I like at #46 is Chris Richard out of Florida. He's just another big body who can rebound and defend. I don't see him as a rotation player, but he'd be another body to throw out there against the bigger teams in the league like Utah and Detroit.

Of course, #46 may be too high for him, so he could be a training camp invitee. And, like with Davis, he's not the athletic type that fits Nelson's style (in fact, even less than Nelson), but he's the bulky type that makes the Warriors less suseptible to getting out rebounded 50 to 20.

In other news, one thing that really stuck out to me in the pre-draft measurements is that Jason Smith's numbers across the board were better than Joakim Noah. That's not to say that Noah's not a great athlete, Smith, apparently, just a bit better.

Here are the numbers:

<u>Smith.............................................Noah</u>
    6' 10 3/4"........w/o shoes............6' 10 1/2"
    6'11 1/2".........w/ shoes.....................7' 0"
    233.....................lbs.......................223
    6' 10 3/4".........wingspan..............7' 1 3/4"
    8' 10"...........standing reach.........8' 10 1/2"
    33 1/2"..........no step vert..............32 1/2"
    37 1/2".............max vert................37 1/2"
    15..............bench press reps................12
    10.96..............lane agility................11.79
    <u>3.29............3/4 court sprint...............3.47</u>
    8....................overall rank...................43

Two things the numbers don't reflect are Noah's heart and motor, which is why he's still going to be taken 6-12 spots higher than Smith, but still, Smith put on an impressive showing. Big men usually don't rank anywhere near the top 10 at the combine. Horford was 21, Noah was 43, Oden was 62, Hawes was 72, and Durant was 78.

A lot depends on workouts, and it's entirely possible that Smith wouldn't still be there at #18, and there's still a remote chance that the Warriors could work out a deal to move up and take Yi, but I really wouldn't mind having Smith on the team. I think he'd fit in very well.

Oh yeah, and Carl Landry came in as the 5th best athlete. I keep forgetting to mention him as a guy who I'd look hard at with the #46 pick.

11. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I've seen Smith play, and I just don't buy the hype surrounding him right now. I don't remember being blown away by his athleticism. He's not very fluid when he runs, and lumbers up and down the court.

He does do a good job of getting to the free throw line, but I don't think he's the right for this roster. The Warriors plenty of scorers already, they need someone can make an impact on defense. The Warriors already traded a similar player last season (Troy Murphy) with the same type of skills Smith has. At least Murphy played with some grit.

I agree with you Walker, Jared Dudley would be a nice pick up in round 2. He's NBA ready, he's a smart player, and has the versatility Nelson likes from his forwards. He'll be a solid role player for whoever ends up with him. I'm hearing he might have shown enough to crack the 1st round.

12. wtwalker77

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I've seen Smith play, and I just don't buy the hype surrounding him right now. I don't remember being blown away by his athleticism. He's not very fluid when he runs, and lumbers up and down the court.

He does do a good job of getting to the free throw line, but I don't think he's the right for this roster. The Warriors plenty of scorers already, they need someone can make an impact on defense. The Warriors already traded a similar player last season (Troy Murphy) with the same type of skills Smith has. At least Murphy played with some grit.</div>

That's my problem, I hardly had any time to watch any college ball, and there's no video of Smith out there. I dunno, if the Warriors don't move up and Thaddeou Young is off the boards, I don't know who the Warriors would go after with their first round pick. I don't like McRoberts, Splitter's probably not going to be able to come over this year, and I think #18 is too high for Sean Williams, despite what Chad Ford says. Who else is there that can provide rebounding and defense while being able to play in an up tempo offense?

Smith at #18 just seems like one of those picks that's been a match since the beginning because there just isn't a better fit. Even if the Warriors lose Barnes and Pietrus, they still have a log jam at the sg/sf with Jackson, Richardson, Ellis, and Azubuike. They need a pf/c or, at least, a rugged sf/pf.

13. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">wtwalker77 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">That's my problem, I hardly had any time to watch any college ball, and there's no video of Smith out there. I dunno, if the Warriors don't move up and Thaddeou Young is off the boards, I don't know who the Warriors would go after with their first round pick. I don't like McRoberts, Splitter's probably not going to be able to come over this year, and I think #18 is too high for Sean Williams, despite what Chad Ford says. Who else is there that can provide rebounding and defense while being able to play in an up tempo offense?

Smith at #18 just seems like one of those picks that's been a match since the beginning because there just isn't a better fit. Even if the Warriors lose Barnes and Pietrus, they still have a log jam at the sg/sf with Jackson, Richardson, Ellis, and Azubuike. They need a pf/c or, at least, a rugged sf/pf.</div>

Check out Herbert Hill out of Providence.

Here's a mock write up I did on him for our upcoming JBB Mock Draft.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><font color=""Blue"">Herbert Hill </font>- One of my personal favorite player's to watch this past season in the NCAA, Herbert Hill, brings excitement to the game. His vibe on the court is refreshing to watch, because Hill enjoys every minute he's on the floor.

"Providence’s program has thrived on finding and polishing hidden gems, as Gomes transformed under Welsh’s watch from a chubby post player into an N.B.A.-ready small forward." - NY Times

Herbert Hill is a lanky 6'10 foward, who runs the floor well, has a freakish wingspan, and has the lateral quickness to defend guards. His enthusiasm reminds me a lot of Kevin Garnett, and his production and efficiency is along the same lines as KG.

It was a breakout senior season for Herbert Hill, in which he averaged 18.1 PPG, and 8.8 RPG to go along with 2.9 BPG.

He put up some gawdy numbers all year long including a 20/20 effort against George Washington.

Right now Hill only lacks the exposure and confidence from scouts, who have only now had a chance to see him play. Being a late bloomer opens the door to criticism and uncertainty. Was his senior year just a fluke? What took him so long to play at this level? Is he really this good?

He'll have a chance to build some hype during the pre-draft camps, and could possibly sneak into the mid to late 1st round with impressive outings there.
    </div>

<u>Pre-Draft Overview Day 2, 3, & 4</u>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Herbert Hill had a pretty good game here, showing he can contribute in other ways when he isn’t getting as many touches in the post as he consistently saw at Providence. All Hill’s shots were of his standard variety, an array of hook shots and turnaround jumpers from about the five feet range. He still hasn’t showed much in terms of a mid-range jumper, so his entire offensive game pretty much lies in that five to eight feet range.

Hill did a good job on the defensive end today, showing off his timing, length, and athleticism in blocking some shots from the weakside, also getting a few blocks in a man-to-man situation against Ryvon Covile. Hill also pulled in a lot of rebounds, but he relies a bit too much on his physical tools in that area, lacking in fundamentals like boxing out his man, something he’ll need to really improve on at the next level.

Hill’s stock probably hasn’t changed much here in Orlando, as he was already viewed as mostly a project player outside of his arsenal of moves from the mid-post area. Hill will need to work on his defensive and rebounding fundamentals, develop a more consistent mid-range shot, and add some more strength in the weight room before he can make a significant impact for an NBA team. But given how he improved so drastically in his final season at Providence in terms of production, he’s probably capable of making many of those improvements.
    </div>

Source: DraftExpress.com

14. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Heres a link to all the draft prospect videos on Yahoo (they actually work this year [​IMG]).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/prospects?rank_type=1

I've never seen Smith play but he looks pretty athletic and skilled on the perimeter from that video. I'm not a big fan of him but agree with Wtwalker, who else is there to take at 18? He'd be a decent fit as he can get up and down the floor well, spread the floor, rebound fairly well if his stats are any indication. Plus hes a big body at 7' and 233 lbs. If hes there at 18 and no one slips then I'd be happy taking him.

Agree with you Shape, Herbert Hill would be a great player for our system. I only saw him play twice but I liked what I saw. Hes very long and athletic, very crafty around the rim and has some nice post moves. He rebounds well and alters a lot of shots. He might be a little weak to be a good post defender immediately in the NBA but his speed in our system would also give him a big advantage. He'd be a great pick at 36 for us.

15. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Heres a link to all the draft prospect videos on Yahoo (they actually work this year [​IMG]).

I've never seen Smith play but he looks pretty athletic and skilled on the perimeter from that video. I'm not a big fan of him but agree with Wtwalker, who else is there to take at 18? He'd be a decent fit as he can get up and down the floor well, spread the floor, rebound fairly well if his stats are any indication. Plus hes a big body at 7' and 233 lbs. If hes there at 18 and no one slips then I'd be happy taking him.

Agree with you Shape, Herbert Hill would be a great player for our system. I only saw him play twice but I liked what I saw. Hes very long and athletic, very crafty around the rim and has some nice post moves. He rebounds well and alters a lot of shots. He might be a little weak to be a good post defender immediately in the NBA but his speed in our system would also give him a big advantage. He'd be a great pick at 36 for us.</div>

I just don't see much from him in those clips. He isn't get those type of looks in the NBA because players are taller, stronger, and quicker at the next level.

He looked very similar to Chris Mihm when he played at Texas. Fairly mobile 7-footer who preferred facing up to the basket to score. Look at how Mihm struggles when he takes a bump from the defender. He loses his balance, and throws up an off-balanced shot.

16. wtwalker77

You're right about Hill. As I started looking closer at the big men, I'd always dismissed Hill because I thought I remember Ford saying something about him that really turned me off. Turns out I was confusing Hill with someone else. What I was thinking of was Ford's summary from May 18, when he watch Hill workout with Young, Julian Wright, and a few others.

Ford's assessment was pretty similar to yours (in other news, a blind squirrel found his nut...sorry...jealous...[​IMG] ). Anyway, he said he's a long, athletic hustle guy who rebounds and scraps. But, I still see him as more of a #36 guy than #18.

Oh, and in the world of freakish wingspans, I see you your Herbert Hill (6' 7.75" w/o shoes and 7' 2.25" wingspan) and raise you Chris Richard (6' 7.5" w/o shoes and 7' 4.5" wingspan) How do you have a wingspan 9" greater than you're height? I thought Leandro Barbosa has this most disparate wingspan in the league at 6' 3" height with a 6' 10" wingspan. I'm going to have to check out Richard. Now, he does have a pretty broad frame, so it's not just his arms, but still...

10 bonus points* to anyone who can think of any draft prospect that had a greater than nine inch difference in wingspan vs. height.

*<font size=""1"">bonus points are meaningless</font>

17. wtwalker77

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Heres a link to all the draft prospect videos on Yahoo (they actually work this year [​IMG]).

Agree with you Shape, Herbert Hill would be a great player for our system. I only saw him play twice but I liked what I saw. Hes very long and athletic, very crafty around the rim and has some nice post moves. He rebounds well and alters a lot of shots. He might be a little weak to be a good post defender immediately in the NBA but his speed in our system would also give him a big advantage. He'd be a great pick at 36 for us.</div>

Thanks for the link Run!

18. Shapecity

They should wait a year and draft Cal's Ryan Anderson.

I'm not sure the Warriors even need their pick. Moving up to draft Yi makes sense, and maybe packaging the pick along with Foyle, to a team desperate to get in the draft makes more sense.

19. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">They should wait a year and draft Cal's Ryan Anderson.
    </div>

I don't see how another Troy Murphy type player will be any different from when they had the original version [​IMG]

I think the Warriors should look at getting a swingman, Bellinelli or Rudy Fernandez with their 1st rounder, then in the 2nd they should look to get big men. The quality of the big men in the 2nd fit the W's system much better than McRoberts, Gray, and Jason Smith. They could land Sean Williams/or DeVon Hardin for the shotblocking C and a Herbert Hill/or Lasme who can be the C with small lineups.

20. AlleyOop

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">maybe packaging the pick along with Foyle, to a team desperate to get in the draft makes more sense.</div>

That would make sense. Foyle has two years left on his deal, although he has a "team option" in 2009-2010 for $10 mils, so if he keeps playing out of his gourd GS might be forced to make the offer and retain his services [​IMG]

But my question is: How does one assess the value of a draft pick? Like, you can't trade a $4 mils contract for a $9 mils contract, you have to get within 25% or something.

But with a draft pick, can you trade a $5 mils contract for a #9 pick straight up, for instance?

Or, can you trade Foyle($9 mils) + #18 pick for #48 pick + ($5 mils contract) ?