Warriors #6 Draft Pick -- Short Breakdown with Videos -- Who do You Take?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by AlleyOop, May 22, 2010.

1. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    I don't see Monroe as a true center though. He's 6'11" 247. That's big but not NBA center big; plus he doesn't play big. Warriors could really use a BIG center that has some skills. But I guess if Monroe is the best available, you have to take him. The more and more I think about it, after 5, the picks are very vanilla. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

2. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

The more I think about it, the more hope I have because everyone is saying its a "5 pick draft."

Well, how many times have we heard that before? "Its only a 2 pick draft"; "its only a 4 pick draft." Last year it was a 1 pick draft, Blake Griffin and then whatever. Well, Tyreke was the ROY, but Curry was the best long term player (we'll see about Griffin.)

Even the LeBron draft, look at who came after him, 'Melo, Wade, Bosh. Who thought Bosh was going to be an All-Star (I do not think he's a superstar)?

I am even starting to think that Monroe could have a better career than Favors or Cousins. He's a smarter player who makes his teammates better. When I hear about Favors I think Tyrus Thomas.

Someone good is going to be available at 6 and I hope the Warriors get him. Think about Kendrick Perkins, that guy is a player and he went what 27. He's exactly what the Warriors need. A strong inside presence and good low post defender.

3. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    It's strange that the Wes Johnson talk started after the Cousins and Favors workout. I doubt the Nets take Johnson when they can get Favors. He would be the BAP at #3 imho. They just want Kahn to give up a pick in order to swap picks with them. Kahn reminds me of Garry St. Jean. BTW Minny's swap for 16 for 25 and 28 didn't make sense to me either. Wouldn't you want to see how the draft was playing out before pulling the trigger?

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Here's an excerpt from the draft discussion between Chad Ford and Bill Simmons, after they had the first 5 picks going Wall, Turner, Favors, Cousins, Monroe, and then GS getting Johnson:

5. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    I'm guessing if Johnson is there, they take him. Otherwise they take Henry (Maybe drop back if possible). He'll fill the 6th man role that Maggs did, without the salary. If that happens, look for Buike and/or Ellis to get moved at the all-star break.

6. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Chad Ford, ESPN Insider:
    I like Wes Johnson. He does one thing that is a predictor of success in the league ... he averaged nearly 2 steals and 2 blocks per game. That screams elite athleticism and perhaps a Josh Smith-like career ... I'd take that with the sixth pick in this draft.

Sarcasm?

I also don't see what the hype is surrounding Wes Johnson. The Warriors have a lot of players who can score the ball. They need some size on the inside and a guy who will bust his butt even though he might not see many plays run and limited touches. Greg Monroe probably fits the bill and still like Udoh. If the Warriors want to gamble why not go for Paul George?

7. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    Yeah, I heard Cousins and Monroe were both moving up into top 5 rumors, too. The SI guy had Wall, Turner, Johnson, Cousins, Monroe and the Warriors get Favors.

Favors would be BAP at #3 imho, so we would be getting a potential future all-star. Extremely athletic and huge upside.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ian_thomsen/06/23/mock.draft/index.html

8. AlleyOop

I don't think he was being sarcastic, Johnson did average 1.8 blocks and 1.7 steals last year -- he is explosively athletic, actually IMO the Josh Smith comparison is pretty fair and something I had never thought of. Fair if he pans out, of course. I don't see Johnson being a "scorer," per say -- I see him being a finisher around the basket to feed off Curry. But if he can play the 3, that's a lot of length and athleticism there. Have you seen some of the clips of Johnson? (there's some highlights in the OP). I don't think anyone else here is hyping Wesley Johnson -- it's just me. I could be wrong, I just have a feeling about him and I have learned to trust my basketball instincts (not that you should trust me lol).

I have a feeling that Turner will be mediocre at best.

I have a feeling Johnson will be the 2nd best player after Wall. I think he'll turn into a star. I think he has a fire about him that you need to be a star. Watch me be totally wrong, it won't be the first time lol.

9. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    You still like Epke Udoh? I can't believe both draftexpress and nbadraft have the Warrior picking Udoh now. I was wondering if Monroe could be physical enough in the NBA, but Udoh looks like a bust. It's why people want athleticism and upside. If Favors, Johnson, Cousins or Monroe is there at #6, we grab him. Likely Johnson or Monroe. Udoh is probably smoke.

I hope Monroe didn't have a workout for the Warriors like this.

[video=youtube;AkuWCAvQe9M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkuWCAvQe9M[/video]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  10. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Lol only watched the first few mins of that vid but you gotta wonder why NO would release it...

I think Udoh is a good player. Wouldn't mind ending up with him.

11. Run BJM

Seems like all of a sudden everyone has sources claiming the W's are taking Udoh if Cousins isn't there. Just a few minutes ago nbadraft.net is claiming its actually Aminu they want. Are these legit or smokescreens? I don't think nbadraft has any legit sources. Likewise a lot of the Udoh-to-Gs reporters are bullshitters but there are a lot of them reporting the same thing.

Beans/Gadz to Denver for Kenyon Martin seems to have some legs. Martin is an expiring 17 mil contract. He doesn't excite me at all as a player but I guess you have to give him credit for playing on a lot of winning teams.

I'm also reading some rumblings of GS moving up to NJ's 3rd pick. Wonder what it would take to get up there and if we do get up there would we take Favors over Cousins?

12. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    That's a horrible trade for Beans unless you're Denver. I'm getting sick of all the terrible trade rumors, but I suppose it's Riley's fault. He's been really incongruous in what he's saying after the Corey Maggette trade. It could mean that he's going to dump more salary instead of getting players back.

I'm okay with GS trading down to get Henry or Paul George, but it could be another salary dump :p. I'm not as crazy about Aminu. Stay away from Udoh.

13. AlleyOop

Seriously, maybe NO thinks he's going to be awesome so they took a bad part of his workout and made it public to scare other teams away from him so they can snag him at #11.

I still wouldn't draft him myself. I almost put him in the same boat as Cole Aldrich. Potential NBDL careers.

14. Run BJM

Yeah part of me thinks "why the hell would NO release that? They wouldn't kill this kid's stock for no reason and if they really don't like him wouldn't it be beneficial to let teams above them take him so other good players fall further? If Udoh's stock takes a dip hes in NO's range..."

Then the other part of me says DAMN Udoh looked bad there. Who was guarding him in that workout? We should draft that guy lol. It did look like it was the tail end of a rigorous workout too.

As for the rumored GS-NJ swap, its being reported that NJ likes Monroe and is very willing to move down. I don't see how they could take Cousins and Monroe could get past Sac though...

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Udoh looked exhausted and was probably a clip taken near the end of his workout. In his defense Udoh isn't a one-on-one player and probably tests higher in five-on-five workouts. I like him because he brings a lot of intangibles and has a great feel for the game. Those one-on-one skills can be developed at the pro level. Rondo had similar struggles in individual workouts, but blew scouts away when he got to run a 5 man team.

16. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

We already have too many guys like Udoh, it would be a terrible pick at #6, not so bad at #10+. I'm going to be really upset and depressed if they pick Udoh at 6.

The Warriors order should look like this:

Wall
    Turner
    Cousins
    Favors
    Johnson
    Monroe

That's it, if they don't trade. They are guaranteed one of those guys and if they go outside of that they are idiots IMO. If they are really stuck on someone like Udoh or Aminu or Henry or whoever then they need to trade down and get something extra for it. Word is Detroit, picking #7, wants Monroe, so that's an easy one right there.

17. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    Agreed. Udoh is redundant for the Warriors. It's not even drafting for need. At least with Monroe they get a player that does other things.

18. Run BJM

I'm not completely sold on Monroe doing anything better than Udoh. I think Udoh is clearly the better athlete, defender, and probably rebounder. They both pass well but I would give the edge to Monroe. From everything I read it seems as though Udoh actually has the better jumpshot. Shape made an excellent point that Udoh is more of a team player than a one on one guy. The same can be said for Monroe though.

However I am intruiged at how many GMs seem to like Monroe. I like to use that as a barometer. I didn't buy it last season when Kerr and D'Antoni were begging to get Curry (and Nellie/Riley wouldn't budge). Turns out they were all spot on in thinking Curry was a stud.

I am thoroughly confused as to who to take at 6. Seems like recently Monroe has distanced himself from the pack that remains after the top 5. Seems like he has higher value than most other guys available. I suppose if all else is equal hes got great size, skill, value, and hes young. At the same token if they took Udoh I would reserve judgement to see how he does before ripping the pick. I like Udoh. I also wouldn't mind them taking George or Henry if they believe in those guys.

19. AlleyOop

P.S. I take it back I think Evan Turner could be very good after all. It's hard to tell, I had him pegged as disappointing, but after seeing additional footage, he's got some pretty nifty moves with either hand, so...

Either way, we have Udoh, and that kinda sucks yall.

20. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    I take back the part about drafting for need. That's exactly what the Warriors did. So, let's see how this pans out.