Warriors @ Blazers - 10/08/15 Game Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Oct 8, 2015.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I'd much rather see:

PG = Dame, CJ, Frazier
    SG = Crabbe, CJ, Henderson
    SF = Aminu, Harkless

Henderson's not part of the future (and as long as his hip is hurting, he's not even part of the present). Crabbe is a tad undersized for the 3, but he's perfect for the 2. As for the 3, I could see Aminu/Harkless being a perfect platoon for all 48 minutes.

Eastoff and BlazerCaravan like this.
  2. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Crabbe > Henderson.

Better shooter
    Longer defender
    Knows the system
    Cheaper going forward
    Younger

Hendo's injury was a blessing in disguise.

Darkwebs and BlazerCaravan like this.
  3. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

It'd be great if the two of you are right. But I think we're selling short Henderson's influence as a vet. I think when you have such a young team it's very helpful to have a couple of vets that can help keep an even keel. Too many young, inexperienced players on the court at the same time might not be best for their learning and development.

At this point (if/when Henderson is healthy) he's the only starting caliber SG we have. If Crabbe can EARN the starting spot, that'd be great. But I certainly wouldn't just hand it to him.

Eastoff, Draco, Blazers Roy and 3 others like this.
  4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Henderson and Cliff Alexander are going to add to the depth of this team..Henderson can slash and dunk with the best of them

UncleCliffy'sDaddy likes this.
  5. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Man I wish Hendo were actually Andre Miller, or that we could trade him for Dre. Then you'd have two ancient assistant player-coaches on the team who could mentor our young guards and young centers/forwards.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  6. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

He's pretty much earning it right now.

7. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Not in my eyes. If he outplays him, in a bench role, during real games, then he'll have earned it. Of course, if Henderson isn't healthy then Crabbe could very well end up the starter because of that - and if he proves capable then he can keep the position.

8. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    From GoldenStateofMind:
    and another tasty tidbit:

Eastoff, Darkwebs and Draco like this.
  9. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

So what exactly has Henderson done to earn his starting spot? Having incumbents on a young rebuilding team is just stupid in my eyes. The Wolves let Zach Lavine earn his starting spot in practice/preseason against Kevin Martin and he did earn. That should be what we do with Crabbe, and he's earning it so far.

Draco and Orion Bailey like this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Henderson is not very old in NBA years...he's a great guy to have on the team. I think he's 27..Batum's age.

11. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

You make a fair point, but I'm thinking Stotts is a bit more old school. Hendo is a proven veteran and as such, might get the push over Crabbe based solely on that. Or at least until Hendo has a chance to prove himself....or not. I'd hate for us to go into the season with a disgruntled (and talented) veteran who doesn't think he was given a fair shot because of an injury. We seem to have great chemistry and Stotts isn't going to want to mess with that. Having said that, Crabbe's apparent emergence would certainly make a guy like Hendo more expendable come the trade deadline (so it's important he has a chance to shine before then). While I get the reasoning behind the Lavine decision in MIN, you can't help but wonder how that's going to affect Martin's attitude and play, along with team chemistry. Unless they plan to unload him before the start of the season.

12. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Whoever wrote that must have stolen HCP's Kool-Aide.

;)

:cheers:

13. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Hendo is clearly not part of the future. Both Stotts/Olshey hardly acknowledge him and he's never mentioned as part of the Nic Batum trade.

14. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Haha. I just read the title to that article: "Blazers edge Warriors 118-101".

Yeah, they barely 'edged' out a 17 point victory. LOL

15. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I live in Austin and saw the game last night. League pass is $120 for the year. I saved a ton of money cancelled cable have internet that's $35 a month sling tv that's $20 a month and play it on a roku through a 70" TV.

Actually strangely enough the only games I can't watch live at home is NBAtv or if they play Spurs. So I either go to sports bar or wait until the next morning when the archive is available though league pass.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  16. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Okay, I just watched the game. Kick ASS, that was fun. What blew my mind was how much chemistry we had out there. We did not look like a bunch of young guys thrown together who hardly know each other. We looked like a well oiled machine. I think my favorite part was the Plumlee/Vonleh fast break. The Warriors were trying in the first half and we dropped 77 on them. Fuck, Curry had 30 points in 25 minutes and we still destroyed them. The question is, can we play like this on the road? I think Dame is the key to keeping the guys focused. I just offered a bet to HCP: $100 that the Blazers win 20 by the All Star break. He's THINKING about it.

Eastoff, 42N8Bounce, Darkwebs and 6 others like this.
  17. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Pop is a god. I swear he could take a shit on the court and somebody would marvel at the genius of his action.

He also put his team in a position where they needed a tough road win in the final game of the season for home court, which they lost. They benefitted from a historic year of one of the all time best big men, he has the best defensive wing in the game, many other good veteran role players and they lost in the first round. If it was any other coach last year would be a failure.

This summer they promised Aldridge he'd be the centerpiece of the offense, very un Spurs like. I'm not seeing them as the huge title favorites many are. Pop is a great coach but you put Doc Rivers or Steve Kerr or Jason Kidd or a handful of the better coaches with Tim Duncan and good supporting casts for 20 years they have a fistful of rings as well.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    holyorders likes this.
  18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This may be one of the most fun rebuild seasons ever

Eastoff and Orion Bailey like this.
  19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Whoa whoa whoa.. not so fast!! This s a retool, not a rebuild. Pretty obvious at this point isn't it? ;)

riverman likes this.
  20. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Hendo missing games, Aminu missed one, Harkless out last night. I'd say odds of all 6 of those guys always playing is low. It might take a week or two once Hendo comes back but there will be plenty of minutes for him to eventually show he deserves a spot. There is a lot of positional versatility since every player can slide to two or three positions.

Pinwheel1 likes this.