Warriors @ Blazers - 10/08/15 Game Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yes Hendo is way to old to have any shot of being a part of the future; he was drafted 12 months before Aminu and Davis.

2. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I swear posters around here treat Hendo as if he's 37. The dude is in his 20's just entering his prime.

riverman likes this.
  3. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

4. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm all for an open competition. If Crabbe is playing well he can start, or play major minutes at SG. Hendo will have to earn a roll and prove he deserves to keep it just the same as any other player on the team outside of Dame.

5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Not talking about age--talking about upside. Henderson has already started 292 games in his career and has a career PER of 13.8. I think it is fair to say that we know what kind of player he is. Aminu and Davis are still considered relatively unknown quantities in terms of what they might be able to bring. Not to mention, that we have Aminu and Davis locked up for four and three years respectively, whereas Henderson is a UFA after this season. They're completely different scenarios.

Sure, it's possible that Henderson surprises everyone this season and becomes an integral part of our core. But does anyone really think it's likely?

Eastoff and BlazerCaravan like this.
  6. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I think it's likely he becomes a productive roll player who can play defense, slash to the hoop and hit the corner three. Having one or two of those guys on the bench who can start in an emergency is a huge benefit. On a title contender he could maybe fill a Harrison Barnes role from last years Warriors but at the 2/3 instead of the 3/4. No he doesn't have the all star potential we hope some young guys might have but he doesn't have bust potential either.

Last year we could've really used a bench player like Hendo and it's very possible 3 years from now we could really use a player like him. So let's see how he plays and how much a new contract costs and how much cap space we are left with in the summer. He certainly has an opportunity to be a part of the team long term.

7. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

I'm not saying I wish Hendo were Dre because Hendo is old. I'm saying it because I'd rather have Dre.

Eastoff and blue9 like this.
  8. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I don't think it matters whether he's part of our future or not - that doesn't have any bearing on whether or not he should start. I think that having him in the starting unit will help ALL of our young players develop, by putting them in appropriate situations for learning and success.

A starting line-up of Dame/Crabbe or CJ/Aminu/Leonard/Plumlee leaves Dame as the SOLE experienced player. When he gets trapped I want someone with experience to help guide the rest of the team through the motions - Henderson is going to do a better job at that than Crabbe/CJ. Why put Dame on an island by himself? That doesn't do him, or his teammates any favors. A few bad mistakes can lead to lost confidence.

(And to your first point, there have been a lot of players who've started 292+ games, didn't look like anything more than decent players, and later went on to be key pieces on Playoff/Championship teams. Most people around here thought Z-Bo would never do anything other than put up numbers for a loser. Writing off Henderson at this point is kinda silly.)

Draco likes this.
  9. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I don't know, blue. They're young, but Plumlee is hardly inexperienced. He played in Team USA. Also, Aminu started in the playoffs last year. And Leonard is a three year vet who showed up in the playoffs last year. Dame didn't look like he was on an island last night. I almost felt like we could've won without him last night.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  10. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Just got done watching the game. Thanks for the link that was provided by the way! Great game. This team is hungry. I hope it stays that way (don't see why it won't). A lot of positives. One thing I will mention, some people were saying Pat should be the cut because he looked horrible previously. Well he looked very good in this game. He is losing the nerves the more he plays. He is a keeper imo. Writing is already on the wall for Pressey and Omari Johnson from the looks of it. Sure Montero is an option but I don't see a reason we have to make that move (yet).

11. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I'd love for you to provide an example. Sub-14 per after 250+ starts and age 27 or older, then later is one of the top 8 players on a title team.

You find one, I'll make my avatar or signature whatever you want.

Darkwebs likes this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Gerald Henderson needed stability..he's had like 6 coaches in 5 years and a revolving door roster since he's been in the league..he stayed loyal

13. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Well, I don't give a shit about PER so I'm not gonna look that up. But the point was that there have been plenty of ho-hum players early in their careers, who later went on to be great players. Z-Bo, the entire Larry Brown Pistons team with the exception of Sheed, Steve Nash, Danny Green, etc. Perhaps Henderson is a bit further into his career than I originally thought, but it's still a little early to write the book on him - Iggy was a loser his entire career until he was finally a difference-maker on a Championship team!

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  14. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Yeah, that might even be better. 3 for 18 is just piss poor shot selection. The guy is starting off where he left off last season,
    jacking up those threes with a prayer. Prayers not answered.

15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Did you watch the game?

16. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Marazul has an illogical hatred for our only star.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  17. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Radio.

18. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

If you like that, then ask him to explain the A/M stat. ;)

19. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    His A/M isn't even good if you only count the missed three pointers.

Frazier is sure working up a good one though, so far this season.

20. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

So if you only listened and didn't watch, how do you know they were poor shots? How do you know he wasn't triple teamed? ( IO a shot while being triple teamed is usually a poor shot. A wide open one, even missed, is a good shot)

Though Dame didn't have a good shooting night, I did not SEE Dame chucking up. Many of his misses were contested layups where he was fouled.

42N8Bounce and rasheedfan2005 like this.