Warriors Investigating Ellis' Injury

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by ToddMacCulloch11, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Oh I had two things I was going to say about Monta, but I must have only ended up with one (because I edited it out). My mind was a bit tired last night so I guess I had a brain fart on that comment. So now it doesn't make any sense!

This is what happens when I don't get home until late. I'm just so fried...

But I do think Ellis might act differently now that he could basically retire right now. Plus, he had to work really hard the past few years just to make sure he stayed in the league. He probably wanted to have some fun and got hurt doing something fun. I'm not a doctor so I don't really know what's going on, but I thought most basketball ankle injuries are sprained because of landing on somebody's foot or just not being very coordinated. Those are usually lower ankle sprains like right on the top of the foot/lower ankle.

2. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Your statement that "it doesn't matter..." is part of the entitlement. It does matter if you are the Warriors, because you guaranteed to pay the guy $66M, but with that came the contractual promise by Ellis not to do certain activities. You have now lost that guy for at least half the season plus you are getting someone who is different than what you signed. That's a huge issue. That's why a fine is appropriate.

3. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Let's be fair here. You're taking my words out of context. I get what you're saying. He did something irresponsible therefore he should be held accountable for it. But as fans, how is him getting fined really going to make your life and my life better? Let's say he gets fined 100k. That's not going to benefit our livelihood one bit. What will make my life better is that he gets back 100% and plays like he's supposed to AND learns from his mistakes and displays some humility. That's all we can hope for at this point, don't you think?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Well, really, I don't think there's much they can really do to make my life any better unless they want to give me some of Monta's $$ :)

But seriously, I think Monta's being fined does matter for the fans, because it helps suggest that ownership, management and coaching are running a tight ship. Believe it or not, despite the fact that these players are getting 50+ million over their careers, a $25,000 fine still matters to them.

For me, I want to know that the Warriors are holding their players accountable, whether it be for defensive effort, shot selection, or off the court decisions. And while a suspension and/or stripping of captain duties are also acceptable, taking a guy's money is a clear and concrete punishment.

I love what Monta Ellis means to the Warriors. This has been the worst case scenario (nearly) with what has happened with our new franchise player. But I want to know that this is still a team and that players still answer to a higher team collective.

Honestly I'm pretty disappointed that Monta and his agent haven't addressed the fans personally. I guess they're waiting for the team, or the investigation, or whatever, but this is not a good start to his new career here.

5. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    I don't disagree that Monta should be fined. I'm just saying the bigger issue is him getting back 100%. What's more important to you?

If he doesn't get back 100%, that fine doesn't mean squat, unless the fine is to void or re-negotiate his contract, which we all know is not going to happen.

A public apology or whatever it is that might make Warrior fans feel warm and fuzzy is not going to help him get healthy. None of that will matter if he doesn't get back to where he's supposed to.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  6. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Fining him is important because hopefully it leads to better conduct by Monta and other players; holding them accountable, in my estimation as an employer and fan, makes them a better team player. Letting them get away with things does not make them a better player.

7. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    Let's hope he makes a full recovery.

8. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Radman injured his shoulder snowboarding. Lakers fined him $500K

9. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    Kawakami thinks the Warriors will fine Ellis 2M.

10. Shapecity

Source: Marin Independent Journal

Latest update.

11. Shapecity

Sounds about right when you factor in inflation.

12. Shapecity

The fine should be calculated by the amount of money Ellis makes per game multiplied by the amount of games he misses because of his moped injury.

13. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    The money he gets fined should go toward manufacturing Monta Ellis bobbleheads, which should be handed out at every game until he returns.

14. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

With an inscription that says

"Wish you were here"