Warriors make 5 year, 90 million dollar offer to Brand

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Jul 2, 2008.

1. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Elton Brand and Baron Davis had some some sort of arrangement. Baron wouldn't risk going to LA just to see Brand leave.

2. Legacy

Legacy Beast

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Joker @ Jul 3 2008, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Elton Brand and Baron Davis had some some sort of arrangement. Baron wouldn't risk going to LA just to see Brand leave.</div>
    Which is what I fear. I don't think he will sign with the Warriors, but you never know.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Joker @ Jul 3 2008, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Elton Brand and Baron Davis had some some sort of arrangement. Baron wouldn't risk going to LA just to see Brand leave.</div>
    Completely disregarding the Brand angle of this scenario, the Warriors flat out were not going to give Baron anything near 5 years, 65 mils. Its a no-brainer for him to take that contract at this point in his career. Oh yeah the team that offered it resides in LA, thats more than just a perk for a guy like Baron who is addicted to Hollywood.

There's no risk for Baron. He'd be bummed if Brand didn't end up on the team but he still does that deal every day of the week because in all likelihood that's the best contract offer he would get for the rest of his life. And, again, its in LA. I think Brand and Baron both want it to happen but in the end, money talks. They've got separate agents and the money for Brand is way off right now. I could very well see Brand still going to LA, in fact I'm expecting it, but I do like the Warriors' chances.

4. kobe23

kobe23 JBB JustBBall Member

College Undergrad
    Brand would have to 'not' want to win a championship if he signs with the warriors. The current best case scenario for him to win one is to stick with the clips.

5. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Eh, Clippers and Warriors are in the same situation without having Brand.

Super-short take:
    Clippers: Baron, Kaman, Thomas, Mobley, Thornton, Gordon, Knight. Obviously some free agent signees via MLE
    Mobley/Baron are a bit old but still good for 1-2 years, Kaman is solid and Baron can only make him better, Thomas gives you a solid 11+ pts a game but nothing superstar level. Young guys Thornton and Gordon are promising. Clear lack of bench depth now especially at the wing due to Maggette's departure, but fairly solid up front if Brand re-signs. Mobley and/or the rookies can be considered trade bait, the rest would be unwise to move if they want to win now.

Warriors: Ellis, Biedrins, Jackson, Harrington, Wright, Randolph, Belinelli, Watson?, Azubuike?, Perovic?, whatever they can pick up in free agency
    Ellis' development is the x factor, whether he can handle PG duties or whether it'll force us into getting one, but he's great as a scoring guard already. Biedrins is pretty solid at a young age, still improving his offensive game. Jackson and Harrington are pretty reliable at this stage of their career, at least as reliable as Mobley/Thomas at their positions. The rookies are all promising, though still too early to tell for sure. Could use a PG/backup, but solid at the guard/wing positions otherwise. Would be set up front if Brand signs. Harrington/Jackson or any of the rookies could be valuable trade bait if we want to win now.

Basically the Warriors have a lot of room to grow but are already decent. The Clippers have a little room to grow, and have a smaller window due to age. Warriors will have more cap room in 2009 (depending on what they do, either 8 million or at least 3 million more in cap space) and also in 2010, even if Brand happens to sign. As a W's fan I'd call it a toss up if Brand was signed with the W's, plus the Warriors have more youth and flexibility and trade pieces. Even if you call the Clippers better, you can't deny the business side of things - bleak Clippers future unless they pull of major trades.

6. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I doubt Brand will sign with the Warriors but who knows? This is to force the Clippers to the table and sign-and-trade for Baron. I wouldn't mind the Warriors extracting big PG Eric Gordon from the Clips.

Clips sign Gordon (in order to trade to Warriors)

7. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I don't think the addition of Baron, even with Brand, is the difference in getting the Clippers to a championship anyway, or even the Finals IMO. If the Warriors could sign Brand and somehow flip Harrington for Artest, they would be quite scary, but of course that is a very longshot dream. If the Ws don't get Brand or Arenas, they might as well just go into full rebuilding (read: tank) mode and draft a young stud PG. I'd hate to sacrifice another year and more $ only to fall just short of a playoff berth once again. The only problem is I don't think Jackson or Nelson are going to be very happy with that.

8. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Brand probably had an understanding with Baron and the Clips that it could be a package deal, but not a firm agreement. Unlike Boozer, he never gave his word, just a feeling. He's covered because he never thought that the W's would give him max money. He probably thought he would have to take a discount given the ruptured achilles.

9. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

FWIW Stephen A. Smith just said that hes been told that Mike Dunleavy Sr. planned this whole thing to get Baron and Brand in a package deal. When Brand's agent (Falk) found out he was furious and went to the W's who offered the max deal. Brand is now reportedly incommunicado with anyone and everyone.

10. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jul 3 2008, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>FWIW Stephen A. Smith just said that hes been told that Mike Dunleavy Sr. planned this whole thing to get Baron and Brand in a package deal. When Brand's agent (Falk) found out he was furious and went to the W's who offered the max deal. Brand is now reportedly incommunicado with anyone and everyone.</div>

Cool, that means there is some disagreement in the Brand camp which could lead to him going to the W's.

11. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

If that Brand trade happens, then maybe Mullin could pull the trigger on the Hinrich deal for Harrington (if that's something the Bulls would do). We'll miss Harrington's outside shot, but we accomplish 2 things. We add depth at the point guard spot. We can convert Hinrich or Ellis into a two guard. We've suddenly got three talented power forwards in Brand, Wright, and Hendrix. Talk about improving our inside scoring and rebounding over night. We could also finally set some hard picks and tough screens now. I'm loving this team already if something like that went down.

pg: Kirk Hinrich - C (Cj Watson)
    sg: Monta Ellis (Marco Bellinelli)
    sf: Sjax - C (re-sign Kelenna Azubuike, Anthony Randolph)
    pf: Elton Brand - C (Brandan Wright, Richard Hendrix)
    c: Andris Biedrins (Kosta Perovic)

Free agents to look at: Ricky Davis, Bonzi Wells

12. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

There's been a lot of buzz on the radio shows out here in LA. The additional $20M the Warriors are offering Brand has him strongly considering their offer and sources in the Clipper organization are worried.

Another scenario presented was the Clippers making another trade to free up money to match the Warriors offer to Brand and the money they will pay Baron.

Brilliant move by the Warriors, but they better have a contingency plan in case they lose out on both Brand and Baron.

13. Custodianrules2

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shapecity @ Jul 3 2008, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>There's been a lot of buzz on the radio shows out here in LA. The additional $20M the Warriors are offering Brand has him strongly considering their offer and sources in the Clipper organization are worried.

Another scenario presented was the Clippers making another trade to free up money to match the Warriors offer to Brand and the money they will pay Baron.

Brilliant move by the Warriors, but they better have a contingency plan in case they lose out on both Brand and Baron.</div>

Thanks for the news, Shape. This is getting good. [​IMG] The worst case scenario is we have to play Wright, Hendrix instead of Brand, Wright. If the Chicago offer for Harrington is a possibility, I would like to grab Hinrich. Out of the two who has the biggest potential to be an all-star? What if Ellis gets hurt or Bellinelli is a bust, we aren't totally screwed in terms of guard depth. The next move Mullin should go for is try to find somebody that can play a Jerry Stackhouse or Mike Finley or Eddie Jones role to pair up with a re-signed Kelenna Azubuike.

I would think Brand was aggressively pursuing anyone and everyone so he might not even go to us. Oh well. The dubs can offer the most and it is worth it IMO if his health checks out. He's a model of consistency and he's the prototype of what an all-star big man should be. He's very underrated.

14. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Money talks, and I think 20 mils got Brand's attention. I am sure there was a some sort of agreement among Clippers, Davis and Brand. Otherwise, neither of them would give up huge $ to test uncertain FA market. I thought we would have no shot at Brand, and I am sure his first choice is to go back to Clippers. But more Brand waits, better chance we would have. At worst, Clippers may have to increase the offer for Brand (screwing up their financial situation) or pay rather hefty price for Davis' sign-and-trade.

As for Brand, I don't think he is worth 18-20 mils/5 years. But, I guess it beats Lewis signing...

15. Shapecity

I'm not sure where the Hinrich rumors for Harrington generated from. I read about in Hollinger's ESPN Insider piece, but he said it was just an idea he had without any substantiated information.

I can't imagine why Chicago would want Harrington at this point because they are loaded with tweener forwards already (Gooden, Nocioni, Deng, Thomas etc.)

I do like Hinrich and I think last year was a fluke year for him. I'm not sure if he's the right PG for Nellie's system because he can't take over games offensively when needed.

Seems like Ellis is the future PG for the squad with their reluctance to re-sign Baron Davis and Ellis ability to push the pace and score in transition. I think SJax and Ellis is a viable backcourt in Nellie's system, because they can both create off the dribble.

The Warriors just need a couple of work horses in the post who care more about rebounding than scoring (Reggie Evans?) and a savvy defensive wing player.

16. Custodianrules2

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jason voorhees @ Jul 3 2008, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I doubt Brand will sign with the Warriors but who knows? This is to force the Clippers to the table and sign-and-trade for Baron. I wouldn't mind the Warriors extracting big PG Eric Gordon from the Clips.

Clips sign Gordon (in order to trade to Warriors)</div>

Nah, they probably made their available FA salary less. That's what happened. Rookie scale deals still count against the salary cap.

17. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwan1031 @ Jul 3 2008, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Money talks, and I think 20 mils got Brand's attention. I am sure there was a some sort of agreement among Clippers, Davis and Brand. Otherwise, neither of them would give up huge $ to test uncertain FA market. I thought we would have no shot at Brand, and I am sure his first choice is to go back to Clippers. But more Brand waits, better chance we would have. At worst, Clippers may have to increase the offer for Brand (screwing up their financial situation) or pay rather hefty price for Davis' sign-and-trade.

As for Brand, I don't think he is worth 18-20 mils/5 years. But, I guess it beats Lewis signing...</div>

Well it depends on which players you want to compared Brand and salaries with from my point of view. Jermaine O'Neal will make over 21 million dollars next season. Dirk is at 18 million dollars. AK 47 is at 15 million dollars. So 18-20 million dollars seems reasonable compared to some of these guys. But then I guess if you compare him to Amare and Gasol both at about 15 million dollars for next season, then perhaps the offering price is a bit high.

But I would like to see Elton Brand as a Warrior (a healthy one). I am not sure what his health status is. I think that would help me make a more decisive say if he's worth the money. I mean he did come back and play 8 games last season and did pretty well, including a game vs the Warriors. He is a 20/10 guy, blocks shots, and gets to the free throw line. I think these are things the Warriors could definitely use.

18. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwan1031 @ Jul 3 2008, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>But more Brand waits, better chance we would have. At worst, Clippers may have to increase the offer for Brand (screwing up their financial situation) or pay rather hefty price for Davis' sign-and-trade.</div>

How could a sign and trade even work? The salaries still have to match up right? The Clippers don't have 13 mil worth of players/contracts I'd want (aside from Brand). If we would have to take back that much salary I'd rather see him go for free.

19. Shapecity

Elton Brand is worth the money the Warriors are offering him, because he's a franchise caliber player. The Warriors would finally have a player to build around who can lead them night in and night out. Brand plays tough on both ends of the court regardless if he's getting touches or not.

The Warriors could actually increase the bid if necessary if the Clippers are able to turn this into a bidding war.

Mullin has to sell Brand on the fact the Warriors are committed to winning a title now (which Brand wants) and have the pieces in place to do it with him.

The only reservations I would have is Nellie's ability to maximize Brand. The only back to the basket player who had success under Nellie I can remember was a young Webber. It's a plus Brand can knock down 18 footers, but players can pick up bad habits in Nellie's open court offense.

I also think Biedrins production would vastly improve with Brand around. He'd benefit from all the double teams Brand gets in the post and could clean up weakside rebounds. One thing Biedrins does proficiently is grab offensive rebounds and send them down in one motion

20. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shapecity @ Jul 3 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I also think Biedrins production would vastly improve with Brand around. He'd benefit from all the double teams Brand gets in the post and could clean up weakside rebounds. One thing Biedrins does proficiently is grab offensive rebounds and send them down in one motion</div>

I couldn't agree more. Biedrins would clean up on the offensive boards. If the team could move Harrington for a pure 1, an Andre Miller/Hinrich kind of guy to split time with Ellis handling the ball, this team would have a lot of promise in the coming years. It'd buy time for the young twigs to eat and put on the weight they need to play a full season in the NBA.