Warriors New Starting 5

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Big D, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Big D

Big D JBB JustBBall Member

What do you guys think the starting 5 will be for the new look Warriors? There are very few holdovers from last year, when they looked like a great up-and-coming team loaded with potential.

Here's my guess:
    PG - Van Exel (Unless he's traded. In that case, I'd go with Speedy Claxton. You have to wonder how this guy's feeling. After impressive play in the Finals, he was a hot commodity, and he chose GS, presumably so he could finally start on a team. Now, he's backing up a guy who doesn't even want to be there.)
    SG - Richardson (He wants out too now though. This position points to another reason I question this franchise. They have a good, young player at the 2 in JRich, so they go and draft another 2. What sense does that make?)
    SF - Dunleavy (I think he'll get the starting nod, since they're officially in rebuilding mode again. If he doesn't live up to the hype, there's going to be some serious backlash though. The team invested a high pick in him, and so far, he's been a bust. This is the year he needs to show something. Having Cliff Robinson to mentor him should really benefit him, both on offense and defense.)
    PF - Troy Murphy (Fun player to watch. This guy is a worker. He'll fight under the basket for those boards. He reminds me of a Charles Oakley type guy. One of those guys willing to do the dirty work to help his team.)
    C - Dampier (I think he's an underrated center. He can hold his own against most of the Cs in the league. And with a quality backup like Foyle, GS has a respectable duo.)

So, what do you guys think? Am I off at a particular postion? Do you have any comments of the NVE/ Speedy situation? Is it to early to consider Dunleavy a bust?

2. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

That sucks for Speedy. Dunleavy is not a bust he could be most improved player next season. I think Foyle is better than Dampier in my opinion. If J-rich leaves that will suck because i watch Pietrus and he was not impressive at all.

3. Raindrops

Raindrops JBB JustBBall Member

I would start Cloff Robinsom instead of Dunleavy.

4. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kid Canada:</div><div class="quote_post">That sucks for Speedy. Dunleavy is not a bust he could be most improved player next season. I think Foyle is better than Dampier in my opinion. If J-rich leaves that will suck because i watch Pietrus and he was not impressive at all.</div>

I've watched Pietrus and I liked what I saw. He moves very well without the ball and is a good slasher. I saw him in summer league.

5. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">i watch Pietrus and he was not impressive at all.</div>

You must not like JRich either then because Pietrus is basically a clone of JRich.

6. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Your lineup looks solid Big D. I don't think the Warriors are going to enter the season with their current players, but as of now those are the likely starters. NVE and/or J-Rich could be gone by the start of training camp.

7. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

If the Warriors enter the season with this lineup, I think that they have a very good chance of making the playoffs. I know, I know, I must be stupid or something right? But if NVE and Dunleavy play as well as I think they can, the Warriors have a high-scoring lineup with a deep bench. Hopefully, Pietrus can help them on the defensive end, and Foyle and Dampier will continue being top-10 in the league in blocks.

8. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kobeonfire:</div><div class="quote_post">If the Warriors enter the season with this lineup, I think that they have a very good chance of making the playoffs. I know, I know, I must be stupid or something right? But if NVE and Dunleavy play as well as I think they can, the Warriors have a high-scoring lineup with a deep bench. Hopefully, Pietrus can help them on the defensive end, and Foyle and Dampier will continue being top-10 in the league in blocks.</div>

Playoffs won't happen, look at the trouble this team faces...

An unhappy Van Exel and J-Rich

Speaking of J-Rich, he still needs to refine that jump shot, because it's still terrible.

They lost Earl Boykins, who was Mr. 4th Quarter for them last year.

Losing a 20 point per game scorer is not easy to replace (Jamison)

And oh yes, the Wizards have a new starting point guard. (Arenas)

Is Mike Dunleavy Jr. still a wuss?

They lost a lot of talent, and did not even get close to matching that in return. Long season.

9. Raindrops

Raindrops JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">Playoffs won't happen, look at the trouble this team faces...

Speaking of J-Rich, he still needs to refine that jump shot, because it's still terrible.

They lost a lot of talent, and did not even get close to matching that in return. Long season.</div>

Your comments are so true! Mike Dunleavy was grabbing all kinds of boards in the summer league so that might answer your question. If I was Chris Mullin, I would trade JRich and Van Exel. I would not want players on my squad who are not happy with the team.

10. jbbKing James

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Raindrops:</div><div class="quote_post">Your comments are so true! Mike Dunleavy was grabbing all kinds of boards in the summer league so that might answer your question. If I was Chris Mullin, I would trade JRich and Van Exel. I would not want players on my squad who are not happy with the team.</div>

Dunleavy can grab all the boards he wants in the summer leagues, that nothing compared to NBA time.

11. kobeonfire

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">Playoffs won't happen, look at the trouble this team faces...

They lost a lot of talent, and did not even get close to matching that in return. Long season.</div>
    If you just called Dunleavy a wuss, I have nothing else to say because you just proved that you know NOTHING about the Warriors. Are you serious? NVE and Speedy Claxton are a DROP-OFF in talent from Gilbert and Earl Boykins? [​IMG] And when you add accomplished veterans in Cliff Robinson and Calbert Cheaney, as well as account how good Dunleavy can/will be this year, it actually IS pretty easy to replace Jamison. You say J Rich was a terrible shooter? He shot 37% from 3 pt. land. If you think that's terrible, it's another indicator of your basketball knowledge...

12. jbbKing James

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kobeonfire:</div><div class="quote_post">If you just called Dunleavy a wuss, I have nothing else to say because you just proved that you know NOTHING about the Warriors. Are you serious? NVE and Speedy Claxton are a DROP-OFF in talent from Gilbert and Earl Boykins? [​IMG] And when you add accomplished veterans in Cliff Robinson and Calbert Cheaney, as well as account how good Dunleavy can/will be this year, it actually IS pretty easy to replace Jamison. You say J Rich was a terrible shooter? He shot 37% from 3 pt. land. If you think that's terrible, it's another indicator of your basketball knowledge...</div>

You are free to express your opinions toward me in that way. However, I am not herer to impress you, only people that matter here.

I did not say that Van Exel and Claxton were a drop off to Arenas and Boykins. Van Exel is un happy there, and we know what his attitude can be like when he is unhappy, that was my point. Dunleavy got the rookie jitters last season, and I am all for him getting over them. Jason Richardson like many NBA players, has no mid range jump shot, point there.

*yawns*

13. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

J-Rich might shoot 37%, but he is a streaky shooter. He also does not have the a realible mid-range jumper to help set up his driving ability. Of course he will improve his game, but he has stated he will not be back with the Warriors. The two starting guards are not committed to the team, and it's going to be very hard to get everyone on the same page. A similar situation occurred with the Clippers last season. No one knew where they would be this year, so they all played selfishly to get the big pay day in the free agent market. I predict the Warriors to have a similar situation this season. They have 5 players who will be free agents after this season, Van Exel will demand a trade all season long, and J-Rich & Murphy are both up for extensions. Fortunately for Golden State, they have a great head coach and he has the ability to get players to play well for him. The situation in Golden State is horrible, and if they get off to a slow start, it's going to be a very long season for this team.

14. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I don't think the Warriors will do anywhere as near as bad as people say.NVE will average 20 and 7 for GS..Speedy was great for us last season in the playoffs...Although he had injury problems..still a good player to have on your team.J-Rich will give GS team 15 a game..Cliffy will give much needed points off the bench....Murphy had a great year last season...one of the most improved players....Mike D I feel will play a very good season this year...Foyle and Dampier are good shot blockers and will both have good seasons again..Do I think playoffs? no..but I don't think they will be half as bad as people think...

15. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

i don't think they'd be too bad, but i don't think nve will get 20 7.

16. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I don't see why he won't...He averaged 21 and 8 in Denver...So As a starter again I see it happening.

17. kobeonfire

To everyone who said that Van Exel wouldn't play for the Warriors or that he'd demand a trade all season long... Van Exel says that he's "excited" about playing for GS and turning this team around.

18. T_WOLF_DAWG

T_WOLF_DAWG JBB JustBBall Member

I think they have a pretty good line-up this year.

19. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kobeonfire:</div><div class="quote_post">If the Warriors enter the season with this lineup, I think that they have a very good chance of making the playoffs. I know, I know, I must be stupid or something right? But if NVE and Dunleavy play as well as I think they can, the Warriors have a high-scoring lineup with a deep bench. Hopefully, Pietrus can help them on the defensive end, and Foyle and Dampier will continue being top-10 in the league in blocks.</div>I agree with you. I'm a big time Warriors fan. If they can keep all the current players, and some how keep them happy, they should make the playoffs. They would have made it last year if it wasn't for their lack of defense. This should be an exciting team to watch this season!