Warriors Next Season!

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by SIXPAK GQ, May 13, 2007.

1. SIXPAK GQ

SIXPAK GQ JBB JustBBall Member

I'd make Baron Davis a franchise player. He better retire from the Warriors.

2. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">HiRez Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I would get rid of Mikael Pietrus unless he can be resigned cheaply (unlikely) and put that money into signing Matt Barnes (not to a huge overpriced contract, but a good one of hopefully not more than 3 years because he deserves it). And I still think they need another athletic, dominant front-court player who can rebound. And not someone like Dampier who is only a defensive presence. One of the Warriors great strengths is being able to get scoring from every position on the floor, which makes it very hard to defend them and almost impossible to take out of their game by targeting one superstar to shut down. After watching these playoffs I'm not so sure I wouldn't offer up Monta Ellis in a deal for KG (maybe with Harrington). I love the kid but I don't know if he brings enough to the table that the Warriors need. Damn I wish they could find a way to get Elton Brand but that'll never happen.

Anyway:

Baron
    JRich
    SJax
    KG
    Biedrins

That is a pretty sick starting lineup that no team is going to want to face. KG deal is probably unrealistic though, without also giving up JRich or Biendrins. Of course if you trade Monta, you need to acquire a reliable backup PG and beef up the bench, which is a bit thin (you have Barnes though which is a nice start). I'd still like to see Zarko come back and play under Nellie's system, theoretically he should do very well in it. I think Azubuike can contribute more with more PT as well, I want to see him stay. Get rid of POB, this guy has "Bust" written all over him and I have never seen anything remotely positive from him -- kill this project.</div>

Hmm...Kevin Garnett... How 'bout JRich (I'd hate to do it), Harrington (gonna upset Baron possibly), Monta Ellis (upset even more people), and Sarunas for Kevin Garnett and Craig Smith or draft pick. Or if it takes Harrington and Monta Ellis, then maybe Harrington (or Jason Richardson?), Ellis, Foyle, and Sarunas for KG; though that seems to be playing it a little too optimistic for the Warriors.

But I still say the Warriors need another PG for next season. I like what I hear about that Fin PG (better in the second round eve). Though he is extremely young.

3. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Hmm...Kevin Garnett... How 'bout JRich (I'd hate to do it), Harrington (gonna upset Baron possibly), Monta Ellis (upset even more people), and Sarunas for Kevin Garnett and Craig Smith or draft pick.</div>

no no no no no no!

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Baron and KG on the same team? Heck I'd do it. Solve interior defense and rebounding at the same time + we keep Biedrins + Sjax + draft a swingman this year. If we want somebody like Jrich (only not as good of course) get Desmond Mason.

I think we just need a ready-now center. Haven't had one until Dampier's contract year... If we get a center and a quality power forward, we can contend with whatever the Jazz throws with us... I mean let's abandon small ball if we can't hit the free throws or keep the rebounding disparity lower...

AH can't rebound jack which means he's not a quality power forward in most lineups. Biedrins can't keep from getting shoved off the block from guys 20-30 lbs heavier. Let's stop playing small and try to play big for once so we can actually win these matchups. The Jazz know that size always wins down the stretch. It's about halfcourt inside/outside presence when there's no transition game going.

5. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">We figure Ellis will become a pretty good backup point with more nba seasoning and will be an instrumental role much like Leandrinho Barbosa is to Steve Nash.</div>I want to believe this, but after watching Monta in the playoffs, I'm not sold on it. He really did not show any kind of growth at all during this fairly long playoff stretch. If he can't blow by people and get to the rim, then his value is severely decreased. What if he doesn't get better? What happens if teams figure out what the Jazz did in the playoffs and what the Clippers did earlier this season, that if instead of trying to stop Monta from driving, you wait for Monta at the rim and you can block his shot pretty easily. Can he develop a devastating midrange jumper? I'm very skeptical about that, as I am about his ability to ever develop those great PG abilities such as court vision and handles that may not be possible to develop (innate). I would seriously look to package Ellis, JRich, and Harrington this offseason for a stud PF. I know that sounds nuts, but their trade value is high right now and while this team can get to the playoffs, they are more than just a tweak away from being a deep playoff threat. I just don't know if Monta brings enough of what the Warriors need and KG, while aging and highly-priced, is looking more and more tempting.

6. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">HiRez Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I want to believe this, but after watching Monta in the playoffs, I'm not sold on it. He really did not show any kind of growth at all during this fairly long playoff stretch. If he can't blow by people and get to the rim, then his value is severely decreased. What if he doesn't get better? What happens if teams figure out what the Jazz did in the playoffs and what the Clippers did earlier this season, that if instead of trying to stop Monta from driving, you wait for Monta at the rim and you can block his shot pretty easily. Can he develop a devastating midrange jumper? I'm very skeptical about that, as I am about his ability to ever develop those great PG abilities such as court vision and handles that may not be possible to develop (innate). I would seriously look to package Ellis, JRich, and Harrington this offseason for a stud PF. I know that sounds nuts, but their trade value is high right now and while this team can get to the playoffs, they are more than just a tweak away from being a deep playoff threat. I just don't know if Monta brings enough of what the Warriors need and KG, while aging and highly-priced, is looking more and more tempting.</div>

Playoff rookies need seasoning. Just look at Kirk Hinrich and Ben Gordon and some of those other guys. It's a different game. The playoff experienced are the guys that usually make the big plays. Take Fisher for instance with some of his huge shots or Ginobilli and his regular season 15 ppg.

7. Duckmyster

Duckmyster JBB JustBBall Member

Isn't Phoenix in a bind because of the luxury tax? If the Warriors are willing to upgrade and don't stand pat, Players like Shawn Marion or even maybe Amare might be available for our draft pick plus a combination of players. If the Warriors want to be an elite team and not just a playoff team or even worse a one year wonder, they have to address their biggest weekness which as a lot of you allready know is a scoring/rebounding treath from the post. I just happen to believe that we have to go with a season veteran for that position. if we have to give up this year pick or anybody besides Baron Davis We have to pull the trigger.

8. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Duckmyster Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Isn't Phoenix in a bind because of the luxury tax? If the Warriors are willing to upgrade and don't stand pat, Players like Shawn Marion or even maybe Amare might be available for our draft pick plus a combination of players. If the Warriors want to be an elite team and not just a playoff team or even worse a one year wonder, they have to address their biggest weekness which as a lot of you allready know is a scoring/rebounding treath from the post. I just happen to believe that we have to go with a season veteran for that position. if we have to give up this year pick or anybody besides Baron Davis We have to pull the trigger.</div>

Problem is that we are also in a bind with luxury tax. Also, we do not have any expiring contract to trade, and Foyle and Davis are only two contracts with two years remaining. If we assume that we will not pay luxury tax (or even assume that we will pay little bit), the only way to upgrade our team is via trade, draft and minimum contract while having any hope of retaining both Biedrins and Monta...

9. AlleyOop

<div class="quote_poster">Kwan1031 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Problem is that we are also in a bind with luxury tax. Also, we do not have any expiring contract to trade, and Foyle and Davis are only two contracts with two years remaining. If we assume that we will not pay luxury tax (or even assume that we will pay little bit), the only way to upgrade our team is via trade, draft and minimum contract while having any hope of retaining both Biedrins and Monta...</div>

I love how Kwan breaks it down so simple -- and grim!

Well, on a separate note, we've done some drafting and some trading, I wonder if GS can't look "in house" to find a good rebounder to add to that short rotation.

I mean, has Nellie already decided POB is a bust? Or will that guy be able to turn himself into something (under Nellie).

I just keep thinking about Milsap for Utah -- if GS had one more man in that rotation, a strong rebounder, this series would've been entirely different.

Can Nellie find that rebounder in house? I hope it's Powell - he's got a good mid range jumper, long arms, tough under the basket, and can block shots. I like him.

I think Nellie would have expanded his rotation if he had a guy he thought could contribute.

Kwan, what do you think: POB, Azibuike, Powell, Zarko -- are any of these 4 players someone who could become a solid contributor in Nellie's "shortened playoff rotation" for next year? Or are they ballast?

10. Custodianrules2

Kwan is awesome, isn't he, Alley Oop? [​IMG]

11. Clif25

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I love how Kwan breaks it down so simple -- and grim!

Well, on a separate note, we've done some drafting and some trading, I wonder if GS can't look "in house" to find a good rebounder to add to that short rotation.

I mean, has Nellie already decided POB is a bust? Or will that guy be able to turn himself into something (under Nellie).

I just keep thinking about Milsap for Utah -- if GS had one more man in that rotation, a strong rebounder, this series would've been entirely different.

Can Nellie find that rebounder in house? I hope it's Powell - he's got a good mid range jumper, long arms, tough under the basket, and can block shots. I like him.

I think Nellie would have expanded his rotation if he had a guy he thought could contribute.

Kwan, what do you think: POB, Azibuike, Powell, Zarko -- are any of these 4 players someone who could become a solid contributor in Nellie's "shortened playoff rotation" for next year? Or are they ballast?</div>

The Warriors still have Foyle...haha.

I still say that the Warriors need a PG more than they need another big. The Warriors have Biedrins, Powell, Foyle, POB, Kosta(if he comes next season), Pietrus (who did well this season at the 4, just not sure if he'll be around), and Harrington who is probably the long-run 4. The Warriors looked horrible as Baron's legs weren't at full strength which is every other week.

If the Warriors want to get a big, I still would go for KG. He brings rebounding, defense, athleticism, and he can score some.

Also this will be Nelson's first full offseason with this team in this term as head coach. I guess he'll get to know players like Powell, Azubuike, POB, and Sarunas better (and maybe Zarko...).

12. AlleyOop

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Kwan is awesome, isn't he, Alley Oop? [​IMG]</div>

Heck yeah! [​IMG]

13. Kwan1031

Haha, thanks for compliment, but sorry to say this one won't be simple. Because, I had hard time summarizing this one to one sentence [​IMG]

Well, since the season is over, I guess it's time to resurrect this thread...

First, we need a PF badly. Not that Boozer is a bad player or anything, but he looked like Shaq against us. In 5 games, he averaged 24.2 pts, 14 rebounds and 60.8% from the field. To make things worse, 6’8”, 245lb rookie Millsap averaged 6.8 pts, 6 rebounds including 3.4 offense rebound, 51.9% from the field while averaging only 16.6 minutes. We were lucky that Mavs didn’t have athletic and strong PF. But we weren’t so lucky against Jazz, and they thoroughly abused our inside. Ideally, we would like to have athletic PF, who can run the floor, stands against powerful PFs and secure rebounds. Players like Warrick type of player would be nice, and we saw how Nelson dislike skilled, but undersized and below athletic PF in Diogu. But then, we were able to unload both Murphy and Dunleavy because of Diogu, so I am not complaining. And, little bit of luck, we may be able to get that type of PF in the draft. Also, Nelson never hesitates to pull a big deal. Sometimes, it went right, and sometimes, it went horribly wrong. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if we actually bid for KG or O’Neal.

Second, resign Biedrins when the price is cheap. I mean, if Mullin was willing to resign Dunleavy in his 3rd year, Biedrins should be secured as soon as possible. He will only get better, and right now, I don’t think he will command more than Kaman received last year, which is 10 mils per year. If we don’t resign Biedrins this year, and he blows up next year, he will possibly command max. In other hand, even if he completely bombs out, he will still get at least 6-8 mils, just because of his age and athleticism. Despite our financial problems, I believe this is a good gamble.

Third, we need to restock athletic swingmans. One good thing about Nelson’s system is that basically everybody benefits from his system. The only problem is that once players become FAs, their value will be inflated. Both Pietrus and Barnes are no exception. We will probably offer qualifying offer to Pietrus, but they both will probably get at least MLE, and that’s something we cannot afford. So, we have to look for a draft or dirt cheap FAs. Can we get another Boykins, Cardinals, and Barnes in next year’s training camp?

Fourth, I seriously doubt that we can maintain this pace in the regular season. First, it’s just way too hard to fuel yourself with emotions throughout the season. At some point, you will sleepwalk or go through the motion. Then, there will be injuries. We were lucky that we didn’t have any significant injury in 30+ games stretch. But, we know that Davis will not play full season, and nobody is free from injuries. That’s why I don’t see this team becoming more than 6th seed unless we really upgrade our team. PO will be a different matter though.

Now for the nasty part…

Mullin did a great job turning garbage to gold. No matter how volatile and inconsistent Jackson can get or how Harrington may not be our ideal PF, there is no question that we are much better off with that trade. But, that doesn’t mean we are safe from the financial problem. Next year, our salary will hit 61 millions with Davis, Richardson, Foyle, Harrington, Jackson, Cabbage, POB, Biedrins and Monta. If we offer qualifying offer to Pietrus and he takes it, that will make our salary 64.7 mils. Then, this year’s draft picks will probably take roughly 2 mils, which make our salary 66.7 mils. This year’s luxury tax threshold was around 65.3 millions, and I really don’t know how much it will increase (maybe like 3 mils?). Then, two years from now will be a nightmare, because only Davis, Richardson, Foyle, Harrington, and Jackson’s salaries will take 55.5 millions, and we have to resign both Biedrins and Ellis by that time. So, that means it would be very hard for us to add another contract to improve the team until 09 offseason. And, at that time, we have to decide the fate of Davis, because his contract runs out at 09.

If we do not pay luxury tax (or pay just a little), the only remaining way to upgrade our team is via draft and trade. And, it’s very tough to get a legit big man that way. Some people may demand Cohan to pay up, and that would be very nice. But then, only 4 teams will pay more than 10 millions luxury tax, and only 6 teams are paying anything significant luxury tax. All teams are bunched up right around luxury tax threshold. Cohan is a serious businessman, and I doubt he will go nuts with luxury tax. That would be nice though.

So, do we have enough chips for the trade? Well, we have picks. But, we would love to test our lucks with athletic swingman or PF. Unless that pick becomes a part of a big trade or be used to dump Foyle’s contract, I don’t see it going anywhere. How about players? Ideally, we would love to unload Harrington for legit PF. But then, you have to ask yourself, why would any team do that? Harrington has 3 years remaining with roughly 9 mils per year. Not a bad contract, but not a contract you would love to have either. And, I seriously doubt that we will trade either Davis or Jackson. Soooo… Do we cash in Richardson? Should we package Richardson, Harrington and Monta for something big? Like KG? Even though that trade will leave us with only Davis, Jackson, KG and Biedrins? And, we heavily rely on our depth? Quite frankly, I would hate to break up Richardson-Jackson combo, because both players complement each other very well. Richardson complement Jackson’s inconsistency very well, and Jackson covers Richardson’s individual defense. And, both players can do number of things very well. But, as I mentioned, Harrington + anything probably won’t give us anything special. Should we trade either Biedrins or Monta for immediate gain? To me, Biedrins is untouchable. He is a center, who can average double-double and two blocks without having a ball in his hand due to his quickness and excellent hand. Once he learns any offensive moves, he may be devastating. Monta? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm… In one hand, Monta is already lightening quick, and he will only get better. In other hand, he is not PG, and making SG to PG is the hardest thing to do in NBA. That’s why I am little bit open for trading Monta if we can get KG. Also, there is incoming financial problem as well. Other than that, he also should be leveled as untouchable.

So, in my opinion, we have 4 ways to improve the team.

1. Blockbuster trade involving Richardson, Harrington, Monta and extras.
    2. Trade Harrington + extra for better PF (unlikely).
    3. Get lucky in the draft.
    4. Find another Boykins, Cardinals and Barnes.

Other than that, I don’t think we can improve our club that much…

14. Kwan1031

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    Kwan, what do you think: POB, Azibuike, Powell, Zarko -- are any of these 4 players someone who could become a solid contributor in Nellie's "shortened playoff rotation" for next year? Or are they ballast?</div>

POB is definitely a wild card. He can be like Biedrins and come out from nowhere or he will pursue being a cook after his rookie contract run out. Still, do I see POB and Biedrins in the same line up? The way Nelson handles the team, I think that's extremely unlikely. And, I also don't believe that exchanging Biedrins with POB will solve our inside problem. POB may be a good player someday, but I don't think he will solve our inside problem next year, unless he and Biedrins magically become perfect twin tower.

I think Azubuike has a good chance being a next Barnes. And, he will be dirt cheap anyway. If you are half way athletic and can shoot from outside, Nelson's system will definitely benefit you. Buike has a great chance to flourish next year, espeically when both Pietrus and Barnes will most likely leave. And, Buike would be fool not to return.

Powell... He hustles and can knock down shots from outside. But, he is already polished big man, and he didn't get any chance when we need inside help desperately. Unless he upgrade himself significantly, I don't think he will do well with us. And, I don't think he will be back anyway.

Zarko? Nelson cannot even remember his last name. So, I doubt Nelson will try next year either. If any, I think he will go back to Europe...

15. Clif25

<div class="quote_poster">Kwan1031 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Zarko? Nelson cannot even remember his last name. So, I doubt Nelson will try next year either. If any, I think he will go back to Europe...</div>

lol yeah, he probably thinks he is the team's ball-boy... no...but I remember Nelson being frustrated with Zarko in the preseason. Zarko would be good as a PF, since I think he is a better rebounder than Harrington. But he's probably not much of a solution. If the Warriors need to fill their roster with a player, he may just make it - but probably not.

As far as POB, he looked good as a shot blocker in the paint. I saw some Andris Biedrins in him, at least defensively. Offensively he's very different from AB. Rebounding was a weakness of his, but I know he started to get a lot more in the D-League as time went on. But I don't think Nelson will play AB and POB at the same time either. At least not in any meaningful minutes.

But I like Azubuike. He is a cool, smart, solid player with great ability. I can't wait to see him play big minutes. Azubuike was the smart, fundamental member of the 3 stooges between Pietrus, Barnes and himself. He just doesn't have as much experience. But hopefully next season will be different.

16. AlleyOop

Wow, Kwan -- that's a CR2 type post right there -- I didn't know you could type so fast!

Okay, well, the reason why I am having trouble is because I am trying to forsee two different roster-types: MY ideal roster, and the roster that I think Nellie would actually play.

I mean, if we had Boozer, do you think Nellie would even play him? Okay, that was a joke, but it's true he shies away from big men who can't shoot from outside or run the floor. I just wonder what targets the team will go after based on what Nellie wants.

Does he want a big, strong, athletic PF who can rebound? I know I do! I'd love to have Milsap at the PF, but would Nellie? Personally, I like Powell's game -- I really think he can be something at the PF. But will he ever get a chance?

That's why I'm wondering about what we have in-house. Who will be the next Boykins/Cardinal/Barnes... I think Azibuike could be a plus, but I'm most curious about POB and Powell. What is the team planning for the 7-foot sous chef with the funky sky hook? Could he be a legit big for Nellie, most importantly during the playoffs? Or is it going to take 4 or 5 years to find out?

Once they've decided how they want to groom the reserves for next year, we'll have a better idea of how to tinker with the roster. The only reason I wouldn't trade AL is because he seems to have excellent chemistry with BD, SJax, and JRich. Those 4 seem to have a lot of swagger, and it might be a blow to them if AL is traded. Also, I think he's a good guy, and like his heart. But yeah, if it could get us a legit rebounder at the PF (THAT NELLIE WOULD PLAY!) I'd do it in a heartbeat.

As far as Beans, no trade no way! Just look at my profile.

Monta... that's also tough. What GS fan in their right mind would want to part with that little magic jumping bean? We go nuts every time he gets a steal and dunks. I don't see it.

Assuming we can resign them at some point, then I think focus shifts to the draft.

What good is it drafting guys if Nellie won't play them. I mean, we had a good high pick last year, and we picked a guy who at one point I thought was just going to get waived. I hope to hell POB becomes starter-type player, but who knows?

If we can use our picks to package Foyle + picks for either Expiring or starter PF, I'd do that. I mean, the pick is sexy, but if it means getting rid of Foyle, that to me is sexier!

Bottom Line: I really hope Nellie/Mully and staff work to develop/groom/resolve the reserves. We had a TON of guys NOT PLAYING AT ALL in the playoffs, and if GS is going to run like this, they need more depth, and rebounding. #1 priority should be finding at least 1 solid rotation player out of Powell/Az/Zarko/POB and do it quick. That will affect how everything shakes down.

17. Kwan1031

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">lol yeah, he probably thinks he is the team's ball-boy... no...but I remember Nelson being frustrated with Zarko in the preseason. Zarko would be good as a PF, since I think he is a better rebounder than Harrington. But he's probably not much of a solution. If the Warriors need to fill their roster with a player, he may just make it - but probably not.

As far as POB, he looked good as a shot blocker in the paint. I saw some Andris Biedrins in him, at least defensively. Offensively he's very different from AB. Rebounding was a weakness of his, but I know he started to get a lot more in the D-League as time went on. But I don't think Nelson will play AB and POB at the same time either. At least not in any meaningful minutes.

But I like Azubuike. He is a cool, smart, solid player with great ability. I can't wait to see him play big minutes. Azubuike was the smart, fundamental member of the 3 stooges between Pietrus, Barnes and himself. He just doesn't have as much experience. But hopefully next season will be different.</div>

I don't know what's going on with Zarko though. We all expected mini-Dirk from Zarko at begining of the season, but he turned into Taft. I just don't see him getting a second chance with this club.

Azubuike played quite well in limited minutes. In this season, he averaged 7.1 pts, 44.5% from the field and 43% from 3 pts line while averaging 16.3 minutes. The only problem is that he won't be as good of rebounder or defender than both Barnes and Pietrus. Still, I would definitely choose Buike with less than 1 mil per year than Pietrus or Barnes with MLE...

18. Kwan1031

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Wow, Kwan -- that's a CR2 type post right there -- I didn't know you could type so fast!
    </div>

For some reason, when it comes to Warriors, I can fill 5 pages, 12 fonts, with double space in an hour. Now if I can only type that fast in real world... And, of course, I am nowhere near to CR2, who can probably fill out 10 pages, single space, with font 8 within 30 minutes [​IMG].

So far, I don't think Nelson will start marginally good PF, who can somewhat rebound, defend and score like Milsap. That's why I believe getting athletic PF, who can run and jump out of the building will be important. Throughout Nelson's career, Nelson always plug in players who can't score at center. And, that position is already filled with Biedrins. And, Nelson never liked undersized, skilled, and not-so-athletic PF like Diogu. Unless we get Nelson's PF, I don't think there is any reason to get PF. I mean, Nelson won't change his style, just because Boozer abused us in this PO.

Trading picks are bit dicy. I mean, I would love to dump Foyle's contract with this year's first rounder, and if we can do that, we definitely should do it. But, that means we will basically stay put or even downgrade our team. After this season, I don't know if Mullin can downgrade this team no matter how the trade will improve financially...

19. scania612

scania612 JBB JustBBall Member

How about a trade for Gasol....the poor man's KG.

Memphis could use some playmakers, and we have a crap load. Give them monta, harrington, pietrus and some picks for gasol and earl watson. That would shore up the backup PG spot....and give us a legit SF who can rebound.

BD, JR, Gasol, Jackson, and Beans would be a good starter....with watson, azibuike, and company coming off the bench.

20. scania612

scania612 JBB JustBBall Member

maybe we could get terrence kinsey out of that also....that guy killed us. But i think kinsey and buike are the same player