Warriors Next Season!

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by SIXPAK GQ, May 13, 2007.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Sorry I got confused with Jason Smith and another guy. Jason Smith might be okay pick. Maybe similar to Splitter, but the knock on Smith I heard was he's not that tough, he's not super athletic, and he's not really developed. Yeah... I don't like that pick already, but I've already read Wtwalker's reasoning with the buyouts on Splitter. How about just pick Thadeus Young over both those two? I know... he's a big question mark as well with all those perimeter game weaknesses... Or if we try to find rebounding in the second round, see if we can get a nice midrange marksman like Nick Young? I'm clueless as to which guys we should pick because I would love another ballhandler, but we need rebounding a lot more... The question is, is there a dominant rebounder in this draft that can do more than Troy Murphy did for us on defense?</div>

Its unlikely that Thad Young will be there at 18. He did have a good freshman year and his upside is huge, come draft time he should go in the lotto around 8-14 IMO. He could slip but I don't think he'd fall all the way to 18.

I'm really high on Nick Young personally. Hes not a great ballhandler but hes capable. Hes mostly just a scoring 2 with a great mid-range game and some Kobe-esque fadeaway mid-range shots that is money for him. Hes also got pretty good range out to 3 and ability to penetrate, can rebound welll, and plays solid defense. Its mostly more of what we already have but neatly wrapped up into a single player instead of having various guys with different skills. His court vision isn't anything special and his handle is not great at this point, though its solid.

As fas as finsing rebounding the 3 options we'll probably have are Splitter, McRoberts, and Smith. I would tend to stay away from Smith because he sounds a lot like Murphy. He can rebound fairly well though but hes also a horrible defender and "rarely makes the blue collar play" apparently hes crafty on the perimiter but also has no inside game. His best case scenario is probably Mehmet Okur but more realistically he'll be Troy Murphy.

Splitter is a more traditional defensive big man. Good position defender, rebounds well, has some scoring ability and isn't completely lost on the inside like Smith is. He doesn't block shots though and has buyout issues. I've heard hes pulling out again this year.

McRoberts is a guy who can handle like a 3 and pass like a PG. His rebounding is solid, he blocks a good number of shots, he runs the floor very well. His scoring game isn't developed that much, he can score inside off of feeds but you can't just give him the ball on an iso play and expect him to score. If he develops a jumpshot he could be Dirk-like except with a much better handle, court vision, and probably a little quicker. He would excel in an open court game like we play because of his Biedrins caliber athleticsm and lack of strength. I would be satisfied if we took him at 18 and tere wasn't someone who slipped like Thad Young on the board.

2. jzblaze

jzblaze JBB JustBBall Member

what's the free agent list look like? UFA's and RFA's?

3. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Tarence Kinsey is an unrestricted FA from Memphis -- he TORCHED the Warriors for 28 points (14-15 FT) on April 6 -- he could be a cheap pick-up...

Also, is Melvin Ely any good? He could be a cheap PF/C...

Primo Brezec has always been an interesting big -- a 7'1" center who averaged 13pts and 7reb two yeasr ago. He had an off year in 07, he's UFA -- maybe he'll come cheap?

5. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Tarence Kinsey is an unrestricted FA from Memphis -- he TORCHED the Warriors for 28 points (14-15 FT) on April 6 -- he could be a cheap pick-up...</div>
    I would love to have that guy on the Warriors. The guy was awesome at the end of the season. But the problem is that he plays SG. Warriors don't need anymore. If only he was a PG.

6. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Gohn Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I would love to have that guy on the Warriors. The guy was awesome at the end of the season. But the problem is that he plays SG. Warriors don't need anymore. If only he was a PG.</div>

Who says a shooting guard can't pass like a point guard? We need more Ray Allen or Mike Miller or Joe Johnson type guys.

7. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Who says a shooting guard can't pass like a point guard? We need more Ray Allen or Mike Miller or Joe Johnson type guys.</div>
    That's a good point. Those guys would be great. But do you think they could handle the PG duties when Baron sits?

I guess they already do that with Jackson and have Monta defend the PG. It works okay, but he's too turnover prone.

Maybe it'd work better with those guys that you mentioned. They'd at least be better than some scrub PG, ie someone like Dean Oliver. But in the end I'd be more happy with a decent backup for BD.

8. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Well, if we're looking at the FA market, we really don't have any weight to push around. Only the MLE. So I was looking at cheap training camp additions, like Kinsey or Ely. Low risk additions that won't cost anything. Our real improvement will have to come via trade, or more likely the draft.