Warriors/Pacers 8 Man Trade?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Ming637, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Its official, Bird has the conference on NBA.com

BTW, our cap situation looks so much better as long as we dont blow it on a contract extension for Barnes or something. I hope Mullin can let the market dictate the value then make a decision if that price is worth it or not...We could be monsters in the 09 FA market! LOL

2. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">Schaddy Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Does anyone else wonder why the Warriors made this deal? They now have as thin a frontcourt as there is in the NBA [​IMG]</div>

Are you kidding? We may not be better than PHXs front court of Diaw-Amare-Marion, but AL-AB-MP matches up! Then we got SJax who can take guys down low unlike a certain SF we used to have. He can make his perimeter shots, too. And Sarunas (keep wanting to call him Rooney from the Sarunas Marciulionis days) will be gunning from outside.

Go watch a few games and then come back and post.

3. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Its official, Bird has the conference on NBA.com

BTW, our cap situation looks so much better as long as we dont blow it on a contract extension for Barnes or something. I hope Mullin can let the market dictate the value then make a decision if that price is worth it or not...We could be monsters in the 09 FA market! LOL</div>

Did he say Dunleavy will be next Larry Bird yet? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Warriors face the Pacers on Monday, Feb. 5th. That's going to be weird!

5. YayAreaFanatic

YayAreaFanatic JBB JustBBall Member

I like the trade. I just read Kawakami's blog and its the first time ever that I agree with him. On the other hand, reading some of the messages posted under his blog made me think. Will I miss cheering for Murph, Dun and Diogu...? Well, if you asked me that last year, YES. However, I don't even remember seeing those three on the floor together. Dun stepped his game up from last year, but he was still only equalling his play from the year before. Murph looked lost and Diogu didn't really have a chance to play with the emergence of Beans down-low.

All in all, I like the trade. However, I have a feeling Mullin has another trade in the works. And like we all learned today, there's no use in reading rumor mills, Mullin likes to drop blockbusters from nowhere.

6. AlleyOop

Here's Hollinger's Insider Take:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Trade analysis: Pacers may hit home run in long run

By John Hollinger
    ESPN Insider

Whoa … Where'd that come from?

Even the most brazen rumormongers were taken by surprise Wednesday when the Warriors and Pacers agreed on an eight-player trade that sends Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, Ike Diogu and Keith McLeod to Indiana for Al Harrington, Stephen Jackson, Sarunas Jasikevicius and Josh Powell.

On the surface, this looks like a classic "grass-is-greener" trade.

Contrary to the expectations of many, Dunleavy and Murphy haven't meshed with new coach Don Nelson and his wide-open system, though Dunleavy has raised his level of play.

Meanwhile, the mutterings about chemistry problems in Indiana long have centered on Jackson -- especially since his arrest on felony charges in October -- and Harrington has endured an unexpectedly bumpy ride in his first campaign since rejoining the Pacers.

Look a little deeper, though, and you'll see this more as a Trojan horse deal.

Why? Because, while Jackson, Dunleavy, Murphy and Harrington are the four names in all the headlines, the guy who could make the trade a home run for the Pacers is Diogu.

The 6-8 second-year forward has had trouble getting minutes in Nelson's perimeter-oriented, smallball-friendly system. But while he's averaged just 13.1 minutes a game in 17 appearances, Diogu has played brilliantly when given the chance.

Per 40 minutes, his numbers jump off the page -- 22.2 points, 11.4 rebounds and 2.0 blocks. He's shooting 53 percent from the floor and 79.6 percent from the line, with the last number particularly important because he draws so many fouls in the low post. Overall, his PER of 18.8 is easily the highest of any player in the trade.

Based on his rookie season stats from a year ago, this season's numbers don't seem like a fluke. Diogu's rookie year PER of 15.8 also beats the 2006-07 rating of anyone else in the deal, as his percentages were nearly identical and his 40-minute numbers (18.8 points, 8.9 boards) weren't too far off.

So why didn't Diogu play more? Nelson's system obviously had a lot to do with it, but so did Diogu's defense. He can block shots, but he's a bit short for a power forward and, like most other young players, he struggles at that end of the floor. Paired with another developing big man in Andris Biedrins, Diogu had nobody to cover for his mistakes, so it was easier in many cases to leave him on the pine.

As a Pacer, however, he'll be paired with one of the best frontcourt defenders in the league in Jermaine O'Neal, and when O'Neal checks out another elite defender, Jeff Foster, will check in. As a result, Indiana should be much better positioned to mask Diogu's defensive shortcomings than Golden State was.

Also, the Pacers' post-oriented attack is much more in keeping with Diogu's skill set than the freewheeling system Nellie ran in Golden State. So if anything, his already prodigious output may increase now that he's joining the Pacers, at least on a per-possession basis.

There might be other dividends for Indy as well. With this deal, the Pacers have an even bigger logjam in the frontcourt, with O'Neal, Foster, Murphy, Diogu, Maceo Baston and David Harrison. A trade of one of them for a wing player would be the obvious follow-up to this move.

And if Murphy's jumper can find the net consistently, he may provide spacing for O'Neal to go to work down low.

Golden State fans will point out they didn't come out of this empty-handed, either. For starters, Jackson and Harrington are better defenders than Murphy and Dunleavy -- the difference isn't huge, but it may prove important given how horrid the Warriors' defense has been of late.

The Warriors also got themselves into better shape contract-wise. The deals that GM Chris Mullin handed out to Murphy and Dunleavy had become notorious albatrosses in Oakland, while the contracts of Harrington and Jackson expire a year earlier and are slightly less onerous.

And Golden State upgraded the point guard position behind Baron Davis by getting Jasikevicius (to replace McLeod), an important consideration given how injury-prone Davis is.

Nonetheless, it's shocking to see the Warriors include such a talented prospect as Diogu as a throw-in, especially considering a year earlier they wouldn't budge on putting him into a deal for Ron Artest.

It's not like including him was necessary to balance the scales. Going by 2006-07 PER, the three highest-rated players in this deal all went to Indiana. In fact, Murphy has outrated Harrington in five of the past six seasons. And while Jackson is preferable to Dunleavy on talent, he is a huge question mark in the chemistry department -- not to mention a guy who has to stand trial in Indianapolis in February.

So if you take Diogu and Powell out of the trade, this deal starts looking a lot more reasonable -- Golden State upgrades the backcourt a bit, gets a slight improvement in the cap situation, takes on a bad apple in the locker room and makes a slight downgrade from Murphy to Harrington. That seems fair.

But to throw in Diogu on top of it? That's absurd. Or it's genius, if you're looking at it from Indiana's perspective.

The other names are nice and all, but 10 years from now I have a feeling that we'll be looking back on this deal as the Ike Diogu trade. And if you're a Warriors fan, you probably won't be looking back fondly.</div>

Hollinger's Insider Article Link

I will definately miss Ike. But that's the way it goes.

7. bayareafan85

bayareafan85 JBB JustBBall Member

This is one of the trades that, on paper, should help both teams. The pieces that were traded should fit with their new teams better.

I'm glad that Dunn and Murphy are gone, they just didn't seem to fit into Nelson's system. I thought they would have good years under Nellie and we would be able to trade them in the future. I guess the future is now and we did get talent back.

I think Dunn, Murphy and Ike will be good players in the East. The Pacers play a more half court set and with O'Neal at the five they could win a lot of games. Also, getting Dunn out of here was a good thing. Dunn was never going to live up to being the "number 3" pick in the draft and now he gets a fresh start. I like what Ike brought to the W's but now they don't have to wait for a return in their investment. My concern about Ike was he just didn't seem to know where to be on the court. Hopefull that will change for him.

The W's have a little more cap room and now have a direction. They are a running team with very little rebounding. Having them drive inside and kick it out to either J-Rich or Jackson will be fun to watch as long as they don't just settle for the outside shot. Hopefully Nelson and Baron can keep Jackson in line for the good of the team and winning. If not I know that Nelson will sit him down or send him home.
    In watching the Pacers press conference it seems that Harrington is a better PF. If Jackson works out will he play the two with J-Rich sliding down to the three? I really don't know much about SJax or Powell to comment on them but it is good to see that Nelson is having a positive impact on Mully.

8. AlleyOop

I think Jackson will play the 3 and JRich will stay at 2. Or, Monta at 2, JRich at 3 and Jackson off the bench. Jackson is a physical defender who can mix-it up inside. I remember a few games where he really took JRich out of his rythm.

I still don't want Jackson on the team long-term, though. I've got a very, very bad impression of him. Maybe that'll change ?

9. YayAreaFanatic

YayAreaFanatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Here's Hollinger's Insider Take:

Hollinger's Insider Article Link

I will definately miss Ike. But that's the way it goes.</div>

Hmmm, Hollinger makes it sound like the W's just made another Joe "The Aircraft Carrier" Barry Carroll trade....

10. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

*sigh* I am definitely going to miss Ike. But in the end, I think the price was worth it. Mullin did what he had to do. I think Yay might be right that the deals aren't done either. I think the Warriors got a little better with the trade (considering Ike was being misused/underused), but the team is still imbalanced. Look at the Pacers too, what's up with that? A bunch of PFs and no real SG, they're probably not done either. Anyway, there is joy in my heart knowing I'll never have to watch Murph and Dun trot out on the court together in Warriors unis ever again. Heck, I might even tune into some Pacer games just to cheer me up. Good luck to you in Indy, Ike. Guess I'll have to change my avatar now. [​IMG]

11. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah everyone knows Ike was considered collateral damage. He was the lesser evil. It was either lose him, Biedrens or Ellis. I think we all agree at this point we would rather lose Diogu even though in the long run he may be better than Biedrens and we had such high hopes for him filling a whole in the position that has not been filled since Chris Webber left. Good luck Ike...

12. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Sucks to lose Ike but considering we moved Dun and Murph with him it was worth it. Harrington seems like a perfect 4 for Nellie, hes kind of a tweener but his shot has been nuts this season; 46% from 3, 46% from the field, he can post up, score inside, handle the ball a bit, hes not a answer to all of our problems but I'd say he helps with pretty much everything. Jackson is a flat out idiot but he can play, pretty good shooter, has a post game, can get to the hoop, maybe he'll bring some Artest-style craziness that will intimidate.

I think the acquisitions of Sarunas Jasiwhatever and Josh Powell are pretty underrated as well. Sarunas is a flat out bomber form 3, can shoot from anywhere and a GREAT FT SHOOTER. The guy is clutch too and has tons of experience from Euroleague, he can legitimately run a team and let Baron rest a bit and ghes a great fit in Nellie's system. IMO he totally solves one of our weaknesses which is backup PG play, now Baron won't have as much PG duties to handle and Ellis won't turn the damned ball over 10 times a game. Powell is a very athletic PF who is a scrapper and can do a bit of everything. He can be a solid bench player to hustle, play defense, run the floor, and finish inside.

Overall this trade makes us much more athletic, much better at finishing on the inside, and even much better shooting from the outside. We were a running team that lacked explosiveness and guys who could hit shots, I think after this trade we have a ton of firepower and athleticism that is probably top notch in the NBA. Also helps the cap situation with Sarunas' 4 mil/year deal expiring after next season, Harrington and Jackson make a bit less per year than Dunleavy/Murphy and their contracts are a year shorter. It really is pretty amazing that we got rid of Murphy and Dunleavy in one trade and didn't have to give up an 07 first or Biedrins or Ellis. I think Diogu can be great in the east, Murphy will benefit from playing with JO, I don't know how Dunleavy will fit but Carlisle will have his hands full with all these guys who can't play defense.

Our new lineup will probably look something like this:

Baron/Sarunas/Monta
    Monta/Pietrus/Sarunas/AZ
    Pietrus/Jackson/Barnes
    Harrington/Barnes/Jackson/Pietrus/Powell
    Biedrins/Foyle/Powell

Wow we have a TON of swingmen, once JR comes back he'll probably start. Mullin will probably look to move of or two of those guys for a bit more frontcourt depth, Pietrus seems like a prime candidate even though hes our best defender since hes FA this offseason and I don't see anyone taking on Jackson.

13. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

Great trade for the Warriors. Ike is a great player, and I'm going to miss him, but he is limited to scoring in the post and can't defend or play up tempo play. He should suit Indy well. Murphy is a f*cking ass wipe glad that ***** is off our team. He stalled the ball movement like hell, can't shoot unless the Warriors are losing, is a horrible defender, a weak player, and his big rebounding averages from 2 years ago came from playing next to Adonal Foyle and Mike Dunleavy. That's going to help you get a ton of rebounds. Dunleavy was a nice player, but he's so damn inconsistent, very weak emotionally, but he should be a poor man's Mullin in Indy. McLeod sucks. If you were a Warriors fan and you liked him, get your head checked, because he is a horrible defender, goes over screens all the time, he can't shoot, and makes horrible decisions.

Harrington is going to be great for Nelly ball, he can post up, he can shoot, he can handle the ball a bit, he can rebound, he can play big, he can score and he can muthafukkin run! Sarunas is going to be great off the bench, we need a shooter and we got that in Sarunas, Stephen Jackson can be controlled by Nellie I think, and he is a good shooter, a good defender, and he should be huge for the Warriors while we have J-Rich down. Powell should be a good player for us, he can rebound, and we need some hustle. Great trade for the Warriors. I expect to see this lineup a lot now:

PG: Baron Davis // Sarunas
    SG: Monta Ellis // Stephen Jackson // Kelenna Azubuike
    SF: Mickael Pietrus // Stephen Jackson // Al Harrington
    PF: Al Harrington // Matt Barnes // Josh Powell
    C: Andris Biedrins // Adonal Foyle // Patrick O'Bryant // Al Harrington

14. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

wow Cabangbang.... and Murphy is your favorite player... What do you think of the players you dont like?

15. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

The Murphy thing was from like two years ago.

16. Legacy

Legacy Beast

I can't believe it, we got rid of Dunleavy and Murphy, but we also lost Ike. [​IMG]

On the other hand we got a player as good as JRich who could fill his roll until he comes back and we got a good big man.

Overall we got the much better end of this deal.

17. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

18. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ah8F...ov=ap&type=lgns

Holy crap!!!! This should be all right (for the time being)

I'll miss Ike, but in these kinds of trades we needed to give up something. I know Ike will get revenge on us though once Jermaine O'neil is finished beating us up.</div>

Yeah, too bad we couldn't trade Pattycakes instead of Ike... Ike will do great in Indiana and will totally kill us.

Am I the only person looking forward to watching Dunleavy getting posterized by JRich/Davis?

19. Legacy

Legacy Beast

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Am I the only person looking forward to watching Dunleavy getting posterized by JRich/Davis?</div>

I can't wait either. [​IMG]

20. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

What do we do about defense and turnovers though? Also, this probably makes Stephen Jackson our best free throw shooter... groan.

We'll see what happens. We definitely got NBA vets that are decently athletic and can put the ball in the bucket. Plus, they have playoff experience. Something we need in order to at least say we're in contention for an 8th spot.

Also, this trade still doesn't help inside scoring. We'll probably still shoot a record number of threes.