Warriors/Pacers 8 Man Trade?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Ming637, Jan 17, 2007.

1. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">YayAreaFanatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I like the trade. I just read Kawakami's blog and its the first time ever that I agree with him. On the other hand, reading some of the messages posted under his blog made me think. Will I miss cheering for Murph, Dun and Diogu...? Well, if you asked me that last year, YES. However, I don't even remember seeing those three on the floor together. Dun stepped his game up from last year, but he was still only equalling his play from the year before. Murph looked lost and Diogu didn't really have a chance to play with the emergence of Beans down-low.

All in all, I like the trade. However, I have a feeling Mullin has another trade in the works. And like we all learned today, there's no use in reading rumor mills, Mullin likes to drop blockbusters from nowhere.</div>

It will be an interesting game when the Warriors play Indy on February 5th. Got that marked down on my calendar.

I don't think I'll miss Dun or Ike but will miss Murphy. He was a fave of mine earlier in his Warrior career. With Dunleavy, it was high expectations of him being the #3 pick and then disappointment. I got over that and accepted Dunleavy as is. It's not Dunleavy's fault that he got all that money, but since he did, the expectations shot right back up again and he didn't deliver. In fact, I wasn't a Dunleavy boo bird when I went out to games but you couldn't help booing when his play sometimes started stinking up the Arena. It was a tough situation for him, he had to be great and mediocre wouldn't do. Lot of times he wasn't the leading scorer or anything. He contributed at times, but some times he just stunk up the place and you couldn't help but start to boo. The one thing I remember will be the time he stuck up for Pietrus and started swearing at that media person. It was really funny hearing it on replay.

As for Ike, he hardly played. The one game I'll always remember was his 27-pt performance against Detroit his rookie year. I saw at him at his best and at his worst that year. His worst was him playing center against Shaq when Miami came to town. That just goes to show how much of an idiot Monty was as an NBA coach. Ike must've been the shortest blooming starting center in the league.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Okay guys, I'm having buyer's remorse. I know this is Nelson's team, but damn I hope Ike will not be a 20/10 guy. That will be a big mistake... it'd be like giving up on Zach Randolph very early in his career. I think Ike could have easily seen improvement much like Ellis, Beans, and Barnes saw once they got more playing time. Those four all hustle and have some nice skills. They have more intangibles than Dun and Murph IMO.

3. Duckmyster

Duckmyster JBB JustBBall Member

I can't say anything that hasn't been said before, but what i want to know from everybody is are we now a playoff team? I feel that we sjould be good enough to at least get into the 8 seed.What do you guys think?

4. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

The Warriors are still a wild-card team along with 5 other teams fighting for the 7th and 8th spot. It's going to be a tight race between Minnesota (currently 7th), Denver (currently 8th), Golden State, the Los Angeles Clippers, Sacramento, and I won't count out New Orleans yet. The team that scares me most is Denver, when they get their roster back from suspension. Then it may be a fight for 8th among the rest.

Right now Utah, Phoenix, the Lakers, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston seem like locks for the playoffs. I see the Warriors being a .500 team still and I think it's going to take more than that to make the playoffs. Thus, until Jason Richardson is back to 100%, I wouldn't say this team is a playoff team just yet. They are in the decent spot in the standings but not so much health-wise. How many players are available for tonight's game? 4? Does anyone know for sure if these Indiana guys will be in? I know that there has been some crazy weather...

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">What do we do about defense and turnovers though? Also, this probably makes Stephen Jackson our best free throw shooter... groan.

We'll see what happens. We definitely got NBA vets that are decently athletic and can put the ball in the bucket. Plus, they have playoff experience. Something we need in order to at least say we're in contention for an 8th spot.

Also, this trade still doesn't help inside scoring. We'll probably still shoot a record number of threes.</div>

Defense probably won't be any worse, turnovers could be a problem but I don't think they will be affected heavily by this trade. And no, now Sarunas is our best FT shooter (and all around shooter) at 92%. Agree that these guys can actually put the ball in the hoop, get to the rim, score inside, shoot from outside etc. and all with consistency which Murphy and Dunleavy couldn't do. I think this trade DOES help inside scoring, Harrington can score inside pretty well, hes even got a solid post game, Jackson can penetrate and post up on guards. 3's could be a problem but Dunleavy and Murphy took their fair share so we may not see too much of a difference there either.

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Okay guys, I'm having buyer's remorse. I know this is Nelson's team, but damn I hope Ike will not be a 20/10 guy. That will be a big mistake... it'd be like giving up on Zach Randolph very early in his career. I think Ike could have easily seen improvement much like Ellis, Beans, and Barnes saw once they got more playing time. Those four all hustle and have some nice skills. They have more intangibles than Dun and Murph IMO.</div>

I think Ike will be very good in the east, maybe not 20/10 but its not out of the question. I don't know if he could succeed in the west, especially defensively, it sucks to trade him before we can know for sure but you've got to accept a trade that gets rid of Dun AND Murph without giving up Baron, JR, Biedrins, or Monta. He wouldn't have been able to achieve his potential here, he just didn't really fit and we made a move that got us some players that do fit. I'm rooting for him though. Maybe we can sign him once his contract is up, Indy has effed themselves pretty bad with the cap situation.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I can't say anything that hasn't been said before, but what i want to know from everybody is are we now a playoff team? I feel that we sjould be good enough to at least get into the 8 seed.What do you guys think?</div>

Its very tough to say since we haven't seen the team on the floor. I think we're in a better position but if Minny continues to play like they have been recently it will be very tough.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">How many players are available for tonight's game? 4? Does anyone know for sure if these Indiana guys will be in? I know that there has been some crazy weather...</div>

I'm pretty positive that the Indy players won't be playing. Mullin called up POB and some other guy from the D-League to sit on he bench, maybe some guys will come back for injury or just suit up so we don't have to forfeit.

7. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Am I the only person looking forward to watching Dunleavy getting posterized by JRich/Davis?</div>

OMG I didn't even think of that -- Or how about getting abused on the block by Roonie and Monta.

"Ellis backs down Dunleavy in the post... Ellis back to the basket, moving Dunleavy off the block... Ellis turns, just knocks Dunleavy off his feet and throws down a two handed jam! Wow!"

8. bayareafan85

bayareafan85 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Okay guys, I'm having buyer's remorse. I know this is Nelson's team, but damn I hope Ike will not be a 20/10 guy. That will be a big mistake... it'd be like giving up on Zach Randolph very early in his career. I think Ike could have easily seen improvement much like Ellis, Beans, and Barnes saw once they got more playing time. Those four all hustle and have some nice skills. They have more intangibles than Dun and Murph IMO.</div>

Giving up Ike could come back and haunt us. But in order to get rid of Dunn's and Murphy's contracts in one trade, one of our young guns had to go. Ike would have been my choice between Ike, Beans and Ellis. I am concerned that he needed so much help in the half court offense.
    He didn't seem to fit into Nelson's system this year but he still has a bright future. Just like a lot of W's fan I'm tired of waiting on potential and am glad they traded Dunn and Murphy for some pieces that seem to fit better into Nelson's system. This year they were bench players with huge contracts.
    Funny thing is that Harrington came to the W's after he signed for less money with Indy. So we save money all they way around.

9. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

Nellie now has some horses that fit his system.... I think the fun we thought we were going to have run run run is just starting... no more dead weight slowing us down..... and now we have athletic depth as well....

I am looking forward to the CAvs and these guys debut but what i am really looking forward to is watching Jacksons physical play ...disrupt the cry baby...scrubby bryant with the lakers coming up.... How many times will he scream "HEy!" in one game..... lets see.... everytime he shoots he yells..... right out of magic johnson's guide to get to the free throw line.... scream every time you go in the paint.

10. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

I'm not a fanatic who thinks this team is suddenly championship material. However, after thinking it over, I actually do think this team is a playoff team now.

If you look at how well GS has done without any significant contribution from Dun or Murph -- and now you bring in a very tough perimeter defender in Jackson, along with a very competent scorer in Harrington (a guy who can dow it now, tomorrow, every night, not like Murph who we may have been waiting all year for his "emergence"), I think this team suddenly became a lock for the 8th seed. Plus, factor in that Baron finally has swapped 2 players who he just doesn't play well with for two players who he would love to roll with. I think this trade is better for Baron Davis than it is for anyone else.

Lastly, Sarunas is going to be a big suprise to many fans here. He is pretty darn good. He is SO much better than McCleod, that swap is just a plain steal in that regard. Sarunas could be a starter on many teams. he will come here and FINALLY stabilize the PG position so that Baron can rest. You watch. He may have the greatest impact of all just because he'll allow Baron to rest and he'll play great while he's in. Unlike McCleod.

I'm bummed about losing Ike, but I'm thrilled about losing Dunmurphy. Add in the fact that we just got a tough, legitimate point guard to spell Baron, and I come up with the conclusion that this team is now a definate 8th seed in the west. It may take a few weeks to get it rolling on all cylinders, especially after JRich gets back, but it is going to happen. Woo!

11. Custodianrules2

I feel the same Alleyoop. So no more Dun Dun... Should I retire the sig and close the page on this chapter of what was the result of the 2002 draft?

12. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I feel the same Alleyoop. So no more Dun Dun... Should I retire the sig and close the page on this chapter of what was the result of the 2002 draft?</div>

It may be time for us to move on. I thought I'd never say that when it came to Dunleavy... it sure felt great.

Man, Mullin is a master at throwing cold water in our face when we're tired. He may not necessarily do a good job at GM'ing, but he's sure good at surprising us.

13. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">It may be time for us to move on. I thought I'd never say that when it came to Dunleavy... it sure felt great.

Man, Mullin is a master at throwing cold water in our face when we're tired. He may not necessarily do a good job at GM'ing, but he's sure good at surprising us.</div>

I'm sure Nelson had the last say this time, it's his team now. Mullin did well to let go, though.

We got a good personality SF/PF tweener like Al Harrington and a consumate nba thug swingman in Stephen Jackson.

I can't say I'm totally in love with this trade, but it's certainly interesting. I think because I disliked Murphy/Dunleavy combo so much I'm forgetting that we have some different problems now. But I guess for now, the grass IS greener on the other side! [​IMG]

I hope Indiana enjoys the marshmellow-like forward platoon. I'm sure they did the trade more for Ike, unless Indiana is one of those franchises that love slow, White dudes that are softer than charmin ultra.

14. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Whatever my sig, I'm glad to see the incoming Harrington because he lit us up when he was here and is still young with nodoubt talent. I'm confident Nellie can teach him some D.

I think SJax is a thug but he beat us and he's got a ring. Think back, not too many knucklehead thugs actually win a ring. I hope/think Nellie can get him back in line and respect Nellie.

DunMurph had simply run its course and was tired and old. A couple of years ago I thought Murphy was a true find, someone big who could get rebounds in traffic and score. Sadly, he regressed. Maybe he'll blossom in Indiana, I certainly wish him and Dunleavy well. Mike needs to go the Nowitzki way, long hair but no hairbands.

I think my lasting memory of Dunleavy will not be his 20-20 games but his failure to take advantage of Jason Williams in the post. One of the weakest offensive sequences ever.

15. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">philsmith75 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Whatever my sig, I'm glad to see the incoming Harrington because he lit us up when he was here and is still young with nodoubt talent. I'm confident Nellie can teach him some D.

I think SJax is a thug but he beat us and he's got a ring. Think back, not too many knucklehead thugs actually win a ring. I hope/think Nellie can get him back in line and respect Nellie.

DunMurph had simply run its course and was tired and old. A couple of years ago I thought Murphy was a true find, someone big who could get rebounds in traffic and score. Sadly, he regressed. Maybe he'll blossom in Indiana, I certainly wish him and Dunleavy well. Mike needs to go the Nowitzki way, long hair but no hairbands.

I think my lasting memory of Dunleavy will not be his 20-20 games but his failure to take advantage of Jason Williams in the post. One of the weakest offensive sequences ever.</div>

I feel the same way. Hopefully, for the Warriors' sake, the grass is greener for us. Maybe we can achieve some kind of balanced attack later on. I'm hoping for a running game/halfcourt game combo sometime once Nelson's style is getting tired. But we need a good draft with a sure thing at PF or C.

I'm going to keep my sig too. [​IMG] Go Dun!

16. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I hope Indiana enjoys the marshmellow-like forward platoon. </div>

Clearly, the only reason this trade went down is because of Nellie's dislike of African American big men...oh, and uhhh, two Caucasian big men...[​IMG]

Now that I think about it, I think Nellie just doesn't like big men who can't play the way he wants them too. Nice job of getting all three of them in one fell swoop ;-)

17. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Kensaku Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Clearly, the only reason this trade went down is because of Nellie's dislike of African American big men...oh, and uhhh, two Caucasian big men...[​IMG]

Now that I think about it, I think Nellie just doesn't like big men who can't play the way he wants them too. Nice job of getting all three of them in one fell swoop ;-)</div>

Yeah, it's definitely a trade to look out for, Kensaku. I think we get the better end of the deal short term. Sucks losing Ike though. BTW, I can't remember the thread that brought up that controversy/accusation where Nelson had this alleged bias towards the players you described.

I'm just bringing it up in case some people weren't there for that. They might not even understand your brand of sarcasm [​IMG]

18. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I read the reason Nellie was frustrated with Ike was Ike's inability to learn. He also didn't like Ike pointing the finger at others when he made mistakes.

19. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    CR2, You should make a sticky with predictions on Dunmurphike at the allstar game next season.

I predict Ike will flourish. He'll be a 15-9 guy in his first 1/2 season as a starter. Murphy will be a 12-10 guy this year and get moved in the offseason. Dundun will actually have his balls drop and become the 13-6-4 guy (Next Season) with a little more attitude. I think the trade is just what the doctor ordered.

All in all I think the Warriors got the better deal, Mully Dun good!

20. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

I really wish we had gotten Leon Powe, he'd be helpful at this point, he's like Ike in many ways. Instead we got some 7'2" dud that won't play in the NBA.... good one!

Welcome Sarunas!

[​IMG]