Warriors/Pacers 8 Man Trade?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Ming637, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Have you guys watched this trade get covered by national TV stations? Man, people don't talk about the Warriors at all, either on PTI on ESPN or NBA Daily on NBA TV. However Peter Vescey did hint to Josh Powell being a good player. He said something like, "notice how Powell got traded to the West?.." Does anybody know anything about Powell? Good thing Bird didn't hear recent comments from Don Nelson about Dunleavy. [​IMG] He seems to be high on Dunleavy's "IQ". The big thing is hopefully Harrington can take advantage of mismatches better than Dunleavy and Murphy could. I do see some concern about ball handling. Harrington doesn't have a good assist/turnover ratio at all. If the Warriors have Pietrus and Harrington in at the same time, I am thinking that would call for a two PG set. Hopefully Stephen Jackson can help in these situations as well. Both Pietrus and Harrington average about one assist to two turnovers per game. However if Al plays the PF then hopefully it won't be so much of a concern. The back-court could be interesting in how the rotation will be set up. The team has a lot of 2's and 3's.

The Pacers are going to be bummed out to have Dunleavy taking up so much cap space when they already have Granger playing the SF position. I forgot that the Pacers had Marquis Daniels, so maybe it won't be as big of a deal as I thought it might be, if the team was trying to get another SG. If the Pacers were able to add the Clippers into the deal to get Corey Maggette, then I think that team would be very strong. David Aldridge said that the Pacers are now in position to do more trades. I am not sure how Murphy or Dunleavy encourage more trades but I guess we'll see. I think the Pacers are a good draft pick away which would be a SG from being very good. Tinsley, Daniels, Granger, Murphy, O'Neal is pretty good and Ike and Dun are decent back ups.

2. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

People keep saying we got smaller, but we actually got bigger on average by an inch since Mcleod was listen at 6'2" and Powell 6'9". Besides, Murphy played like he was really 6'7" instead of 6'10" and the same can be said of Dunleavy. One of the articles I saw said to think of Powell as a Chris Taft player without the back problems. How nice would that be?

3. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

I think it's funny that, up till now, NOBODY in the media has said a word about Ike Diogu.

Now that he's in this trade, everyone's talking about him like he's the next 20/10 Elton Brand, lol. Where was Diogu's media-fan-club a week ago? [​IMG]

4. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think it's funny that, up till now, NOBODY in the media has said a word about Ike Diogu.

Now that he's in this trade, everyone's talking about him like he's the next 20/10 Elton Brand, lol. Where was Diogu's media-fan-club a week ago? [​IMG]</div>

Maybe because he's in the East now? [​IMG]

5. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Okay guys, I'm having buyer's remorse. I know this is Nelson's team, but damn I hope Ike will not be a 20/10 guy. That will be a big mistake... it'd be like giving up on Zach Randolph very early in his career. I think Ike could have easily seen improvement much like Ellis, Beans, and Barnes saw once they got more playing time. Those four all hustle and have some nice skills. They have more intangibles than Dun and Murph IMO.</div>

Sheesh. Ike didn't fit here. And Nelson said today, he'll always be undersized.

Ike didn't fit here. Ike was short. Write that down 500 times on the blackboard before you can go home.

6. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, it's definitely a trade to look out for, Kensaku. I think we get the better end of the deal short term. Sucks losing Ike though. BTW, I can't remember the thread that brought up that controversy/accusation where Nelson had this alleged bias towards the players you described.

I'm just bringing it up in case some people weren't there for that. They might not even understand your brand of sarcasm [​IMG]</div>

I can't find the thread, but yes people, I'm joking here.

Re: the trade. It seems that everyone is reiterating the same thing about this trade..."Ike Diogu was the deal-maker...IF he turns into a star PF, the Pacers come out on top."

People, first of all, no one even knew who Ike Diogu was. Second, he's only shown small signs of being productive, not starter material, and definetely not star material. I just feel that the W's reputation is so historically horrible that there will always be something negative to say about them, even before anything has happened!

This trade truly favors the Warriors. We give up three scrubs and one prospect that are paid more than three proven players + one no name (Powell). I'm actually anxious to see what Nelson can get out of Powell. He seems to bring out the best in the nobodies (i.e. Barnes).

7. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

BArkley on TNT tonight said the PAcers clearly got the best of the deal.... mostly because of Murphy .... and being a double double guy..."anyone that knows basketball knows the pacers got the best of this deal." said sir chuckster.

Interesting...RGM is reporting that Dunleavy may never suit up as a pacer as a deal may be in the works to swap him for MAggette

8. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

Oh the article also mentioned that the Warriors are still looking for more player dumping.... is that what we just did? i didnt think so.... but it mentions the possibility of moving sarunas J to the cavs.... as they have expiring contracts and need a point guard..... Only if they take Foyle with Sarunas... i know has to be sarunas straight up...

but sarunas for varejao and scot pollard ...works...

9. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Sheesh. Ike didn't fit here. And Nelson said today, he'll always be undersized.

Ike didn't fit here. Ike was short. Write that down 500 times on the blackboard before you can go home.</div>

What's with the condescending remarks? Did I ever belittle you and treat you like you belong in grade school?

All I'm saying is Nelson is worrying about short term success. I think we're not focussed on long term stuff yet. I'm saying that maybe in two years small ball will get tired and Nelson/Mullin will be out and they won't care anymore. That's all I'm saying. Once the uptempo style changes, we'll probably wish we had a 20/10 potential type big who can play halfcourt. It won't be a successful franchise if we don't establish some form balance on offense where we can go halfcourt and run the break. I mean we didn't even really see what Ike could do because Nelson was so biased against him. There's just not many skilled big men in the league today and I think he would have been an asset in a more balanced tempo.

10. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">boogielew Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Oh the article also mentioned that the Warriors are still looking for more player dumping.... is that what we just did? i didnt think so.... but it mentions the possibility of moving sarunas J to the cavs.... as they have expiring contracts and need a point guard..... Only if they take Foyle with Sarunas... i know has to be sarunas straight up...

but sarunas for varejao and scot pollard ...works...</div>

Man if we got Varejao, I bet Cavs fans would be pissed. But that sounds like a SF/PF that would work in our lineup.

Too bad Knicks don't want to give up David Lee. I like him a lot better.

11. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">What's with the condescending remarks? Did I ever belittle you and treat you like you belong in grade school?

All I'm saying is Nelson is worrying about short term success. I think we're not focussed on long term stuff yet. I'm saying that maybe in two years small ball will get tired and Nelson/Mullin will be out and they won't care anymore. That's all I'm saying. Once the uptempo style changes, we'll probably wish we had a 20/10 potential type big who can play halfcourt. It won't be a successful franchise if we don't establish some form balance on offense where we can go halfcourt and run the break. I mean we didn't even really see what Ike could do because Nelson was so biased against him. There's just not many skilled big men in the league today and I think he would have been an asset in a more balanced tempo.</div>

I'm not being condescending. Just saying you don't have to have buyer's remorse over this deal. We all had complaints about Murphy not playing D and being slow and his game had dropped. With Dunleavy, it was even worse complaints than Murphy. As for Ike, it was always why isn't he getting in the games. Well, we found some of those answers out.

The coach cannot change his style of coaching to always fit his players. He will have his way of doing things. That's what make Coach Nelson different from Coach Carlisle. However, they will adapt their game day strategies to fit the type of players that he has and this means allocating PT to the players he thinks will give him the best chance of winning. With Nelson, it was no secret that things were wrong. For example, Matt Barnes being our starting SF or MP playing some PF.

It always takes time to evaluate a trade, but let's face, we weren't doing well with the pieces we had. When your three highest paid front court players are sitting on the bench, then something had to be done. I was surprised that Mullin and Higgins got rid of Murphy and Dunleavy in one deal. That was huge and they deserve a tip of the cap and much credit for pulling a trade of this magnitude off.

I think the first game will show that the players we have now will allow us to play a more uptempo game with more passing and better shot selection. Cleveland will provide an excellent test for us. We still have players whom when they get frustrated tend to shoot the ball early in the shot clock, but if they aren't frustrated, then they will be able to make plays using the front court guys and not try to rely upon themselves so much.

You're always griping about team chemistry. Well, I think team chemistry just got better. It always does when players fit the the type of thinking the team was built on. In Warriors history, they always did better as a running team. That's the kind of team they were and still are known for. We tried the other type of game and it didn't work out.

12. DTKennedy

DTKennedy JBB JustBBall Member

I think this is a solid trade for us. We shed 2 of the 3 bad contracts we had for players that better fit the system, cost a little less and have shorter deals. The ransom was Ike. I like ike, he's a scoring machine in the post and i think he'll have a nice career. that said, his physical limitations will keep him from being more than a solid starter.

I really like adding Sarunas J as he is a legit PG and shooter. Baron shouldn't have to play 45 minutes a game anymore and with SJ's contract expiring at the end of the season, he's yet another valuable trade chip. Perhaps more importantly, Monta won't have to play the point much the rest of the season. His Assist/Turnover ratio screams that he is not ready for the job.