WARRIORS SOLD TO GUBER AND LACOB, NOT LARRY ELLISON

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38262946

Cohan fucks us again. I guess they did go all out and hit the 450 mark.

Anyone know anything about these guys? I'm gonna be pissed if they move the team to Vegas. ARe they competitive? I suppose its a good thing that Lacob is involved with the Celtics because he'll want a winner but how the fuck can you own two NBA teams? Seems dangerous.

2. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    I don't blame Ellison for not meeting Cohan's price. These guys wanted the Warriors more, whether that's good or bad, we will see.

I'm bummed.

3. Run BJM

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_15523454?nclick_check=1

BTW just read this isn't the Mandalay as in Las Vegas... its some entertainment group based out of LA. And this Lacob guy is a Stanford product and, like MTII says, is involved with a big investment company in Menlo Park (which is ironically where I am posting this from since I work here too lol).

A men for a new owner. Here's to hoping they want to win.

4. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I'd be surprised if he wasn't required to give up his stake in the Celts. No question that whoever these guys are, they will be better than Cohan, but that's a real opportunity that passed. Even if they have money to spend, it's going to hurt them while trying to attract talent. Would you rather come work for LARRY ELLISON or [anonymous group of absentee investors]? They also may have no interest in building a new stadium in a better location, something that Ellison surely would have done. So I'm not happy.

5. Run BJM

Agreed, Lacob being involved with the Celts is good. I agree he'll probably have to sell his stake in the Celts. But this Guber guy I'm not so sure about. Mandalay entertainment is involved in a lot of stuff including sports. But its all minor league teams and seems very oriented toward marketing and profits.

I'm confident Ellison would have done whatever it took to win, pay luxury tax out the ass, make GS a desirable place. Not sure these guys will.

6. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    Kawakami says that Lacob will be the head guy and Guber will be in a secondary role.

7. Run BJM

Seems like MTII says the same thing. Guber's wiki is interesting. Not sure what to make of him but he does all kinds of shit.

Some more info on Lacob:

http://www.freebase.com/view/en/joseph_s_lacob

Seems to own parts of a ton of companies and lots of green energy stuff.

http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?last=Lacob&first=Joseph

Supported Obama a lot and some other democrats. Random republican on there too though...

8. Run BJM

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...r-guber-not-larry-ellison-what-now/#more-8502

9. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Wow, I just heard. The news has not sunk in yet. This is a shocker for me. Cohan is gone, but it's not Ellison who's the owner. It doesn't feel like a win, but a wait and see with the new owners :p. Unbelievable.

I gotta think it was Cohan and his greedy tactics that's why Larry didn't bid any higher. What a last FU from Cohan!!!

10. Run BJM

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/press011806-lacob-ownership.html
    From when he joined Celtics in 2006.

11. Run BJM

Can't blame him for taking the highest price. He wanted 450 mils and as they say you're worth whatever someone is willing to pay for you. These guys wanted the team for that much and Ellison didn't.

12. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Aren't the Celtics a publicly traded company? He's probably just a shareholder and can easily liquidate those shares if necessary. I know you guys really wanted Ellison to be the new owner, but I guess at this point anyone is better than Cohan.

13. Run BJM

Yeah but we're going from one business man douche bag to another group of rich business men. Ellison is 12 times richer than Mark Cuban and has a competitive streak.

Its good to get rid of Cohan but we were so close to having the 6th richest guy in the world owning the team. A guy who wants to win at all costs. Now it looks like we just got more of the status quo- perhaps not as bad as Cohan but no different than your typical NBA owner.

I hope they prove me wrong. Obviously they really wanted the team. Hopefully they both want to put a great product on the court rather than just produce profits or have the team as bragging rights over other insanely rich guys.

14. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Before this all started to shape up, we were all saying we would take a half-eaten bag of Fritos corn chips over Cohan.

So, while the vision of the endlessly rich Ellision pouring millions and millions of dollars into the franchise seemed exciting, the truth is, I am just glad Cohan is gone.

I am glad that new ownership is coming into place, because that will mean new commitment, security, and identity.

And I say let's give this new group the benefit of the doubt. We know one thing for sure: Ellison really wanted GS, but these guys wanted GS even more than he did. That says something. And besides, who buys a new franchise and then says "No, we are not committed to winning, we are buying this just for profit, don't get your hopes up." You have to believe they have high hopes for this franchise.

We all thought Ellison wouldn't be stingy. Well, he was more stingy than Lacob. The first move we have seen by Lacob is that he's willing to spend. I mean, he paid apparently a lot more than the other offers on the table. He really wanted this to get done. I can't imagine he just saw it as a super business deal he couldn't pass up. In fact, given the lockout and the estimated value of the franchise, it might not have been the best business move. He probably over-paid.

So that's a very good sign to me, from a fan perspective. If Cohan were on the other end of this, as a buyer, he would've dropped out long ago with his penny pinching way for fear that he couldn't turn a profit.

This is a huge, gutsy move by Lacob, IMO, and I like his willingness to go for it.

Also, the fact that there are two names mentioned might be a good thing. I know Lacob is primary, but I like co-ownerships, sometimes, if both guuys are involved, like the Maloof brothers. They can keep each other in check.

Until evidence to the otherwise, I'm excited about these guys.

15. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

I agree with everything you said AO, but this feels like the Warriors all over again. We always seemed to get screwed from the best. It's like having the top 4 lottery pick but your ball comes out a spot early. Its like the warriors drafting Todd Fuller all over again, Ike Diogu, and maybe even Udoh. Clearly, this group might be better than Cohan, but as we all know, its hard to find someone better than Ellison

16. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    I understand Cohan, but I'm at a loss to explain why Ellison didn't bid higher. I wish he would be interviewed and explain. Then I would feel better. Maybe not. If Ellison says, I didn't trust Cohan and I felt like I was bidding against myself, then it would be worse. One last gigantic FU by Cohan!

If Lacob and Gruber can turn this franchise around, then it's all good. It doesn't matter it's not Larry Ellison. For example, I can't say billionaire Prokhorov is knocking everyone's socks off with his moves. Lacob sounds like a smart guy. Hope he's for winning.

17. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I agree with AO, this may not be as bad as it seems.

-- Ellison didn't outbid everyone, as he easily could have, which means he wouldn't necessarily be the "win at all costs" owner we thought he would be. Lacob maybe overpayed, but he got it done, isn't that what we want? (Plus, actually, considering the profit Cohan made on the franchise, these guys will surely cash in big time when they sell anyway, so $450M is not outrageous at all if you're not impatient).

-- Lacob appears to have a passion for basketball and has a track record of building a winner in basketball (witness bold moves like bringing in Garnett-Pierce-Allen). Ellison appears to have neither. He may have a passion for "winning", he has a passion for sailing, but not necessarily for the game of basketball. How many Warriors games did he go to? One.

Bottom line is this should be the happiest day in 16 years for Warrior fans, don't let the LE involvement get you down. I'm going to give these guys the benefit of the doubt for now, I'm anxious to hear Lacob speak about things and the real key will be who they install for GM, President, and head coach, that will tell us a lot. Oh and please please dump Fitz while you're at it too.

18. Doctor Kajita

Finance
  19. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    Did you hear what Ellison said?

Larry Ellison confirmed today he is not purchasing the Golden State Warriors.
    Despite Ellison making the highest monetary bid, current owner Chris Cohan has selected a different offer.

"Although I was the highest bidder, Chris Cohan decided to sell to someone else. In my experience this is a bit unusual. Nonetheless, I wish the Warriors and their fans nothing but success under their new ownership," said Larry Ellison.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...-Not-Buying-Golden-State-Warriors-1291044.htm

20. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    Unbelievable. The sale still has to pass league approval...

But, I don't think it matters. Ellison won't be the owner.