Warriors VS. Lakers game thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Duckmyster, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Warriorsfan

Warriorsfan JBB JustBBall Member

argghhhh harrington had a good game, except for his TOs, he dribble too high or something and always gets picked

the only thing that made me happy was that nelson didnt play barnes and watching him cheer ont he bench lol

2. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, I usually don't blame the refs at all -- but tonight the Lakers shot 41 freethrows to the Warriors 20.

Biedrins had about three clean blocks taken away for fouls.

Pietrus would sneeze and pick up the foul on Kobe.

Kobe went to the line 19 times. The Warriors went to the line 20 times?

That's fucke_d up.

Sometimes this league is crap basketball

3. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

I bet you when they walk down the street and they get bumped a ref is there to blow the whistle too

4. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Meh. The calls were bad, but that's to be expected. And Baron wasn't having a particularly stellar night, so I don't think his leg cramp cost us the game either. Too many streaky, part-time players on this team who can't give a consistent effort not only game to game, but even quarter to quarter. As Jason points out, when their shots stop falling, they self-destruct and often can't recover before it's too late. Bottom line is we're 4-16 on the road, that's the 4th worst road record in the NBA.

5. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

The W's didn't lose because of refs. The Warriors kept taking outside jump shots. Can't expect to get to the line that way. The Lakers drove and attacked the basket.

But Cabbages was horrendous in this game. So many screw ups because of him. Can't really blame him because the team as whole kept turning the ball over in the 4th.

On a side note: Dunleavy had a good game...for the Pacers.

6. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight, this makes me sick.

7. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Gohn Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The W's didn't lose because of refs. The Warriors kept taking outside jump shots. Can't expect to get to the line that way. The Lakers drove and attacked the basket.

But Cabbages was horrendous in this game. So many screw ups because of him.

On a side note: Dunleavy had a good game.</div>

Thats not a valid excuse in this game, the Warriors outscored the Lakers in points in the paint 56-34 and we shot nearly 5% better on FGs while shooting about 10% lower on 3 pt FGs. We got in the paint a ton and just flat out got bent over by the refs. A lot of players made mistakes but it was enough to win, if the *edit* game was called accurately we probably walk away with a win.

8. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Rudeezy Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight, this makes me sick.</div>

Same, I'm friggen boiling here, this one hurts worse than the usual tough loss because it was the Lakers in LA.

9. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Thats not a valid excuse in this game, the Warriors outscored the Lakers in points in the paint 56-34 and we shot nearly 5% better on FGs while shooting about 10% lower on 3 pt FGs. We got in the paint a ton and just flat out got bent over by the refs. A lot of players made mistakes but it was enough to win, if the fucking game was called accurately we probably walk away with a win.</div>

The Warriors got a lot of lay ups and not REAL shots in the paint. Then they would've gone to the line more.

I agree there were some bad calls, especially the last one on AB, but we got to take control of the game more. Not just depend on our perimeter shooting when it counts.

10. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Thats not a valid excuse in this game, the Warriors outscored the Lakers in points in the paint 56-34 and we shot nearly 5% better on FGs while shooting about 10% lower on 3 pt FGs. We got in the paint a ton and just flat out got bent over by the refs. A lot of players made mistakes but it was enough to win, if the fucking game was called accurately we probably walk away with a win.</div>
    A lot of the points in the paint is due to fast break points. That's why that points in the paint statistic is as high as it is.

Gotta hand it the Lakers D. They stepped up the pressure. And the W's kept turning it over.

11. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

No -- there are a lot of times when fans will say "oh the refs screwed us" and I'll know it's just that they're pissed.

However, tonight, it wasn't so much that the refs screwed the Warriors, it was that they were so enamoured with Kobe and his little pack of cronies that they kept trying to cuddle up and smooch on the Laker players. The refs get into LA and they see stars.

One ref goes "Ooh, there's Jack Nicholson... oh man, The Shining is my favorite movie! Oh, I've got to give Brian Cook this pansy-ass call... hey Jack! *wave* this one's for you!" *blows whistle*

12. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I'm glad I'm not the only one complaining about foul calls. The game was over-reffed and especially catered to superstar players who get the special treatment. I agree with JV that we settle for outside jump shots becuase we still don't have anybody that can get down on that block reliably and finish or we don't know what to do in halfcourt situation.

Harrington was nice tonight, but he appeared to be slightly one dimensional... He took shots, but I don't really think he was that smooth going inside the post on halfcourt was he? I didn't get to watch the 2nd half much because of 24.

Fastbreak points should not count as "points in the paint" because nobody is actively there to guard them. Points in the paint should count as a statistic for when defenses are actually set in place.

13. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

They don't want us in the playoffs!!

14. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm glad I'm not the only one complaining about foul calls. The game was over-reffed and especially catered to superstar players who get the special treatment. I agree with JV that we settle for outside jump shots becuase we still don't have anybody that can get down on that block reliably and finish or we don't know what to do in halfcourt situation.

Harrington was nice tonight, but he appeared to be slightly one dimensional... He took shots, but I don't really think he was that smooth going inside the post on halfcourt was he? I didn't get to watch the 2nd half much because of 24.</div>

LOL. That's what I was going to say about AL, but didn't want to crap on him cause its his second game. "He's too one dimensional."

If he's going to try and be the go to guy, then he has to do more than shoot and score especially at the PF spot.

15. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Kobe could just take the ball and smack himself in the face and they'd call a foul on the closest defender. It's sad.</div>

I am telling you guys.... every possession that kobe goes in the lane or if there is a hint of contact the guy screams "hey" at the top of his lungs and more often than not gets the call..... I say the entire team adopt this strategy.... It worked for Magic Johnson for years.. I just want someone to put an elbow into his larynx and mush those vocal chords.... i bet his trips to the line drecrease

16. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The Warriors got a lot of lay ups and not REAL shots in the paint. Then they would've gone to the line more.

I agree there were some bad calls, especially the last one on AB, but we got to take control of the game more. Not just depend on our perimeter shooting when it counts.</div>

The Warriors only had 19 fast break points, other than that I can't see how many of those other points in the paint weren't "real shots in the paint" or whatever you're saying they are. None of this adds up; we got more points in paint, we shot a higher FG%, shot less 3's, and still shot half as many FTs, Kobe shot 1 less than our entire team. The players ****** a lot of plays up but overall play of the team was solid, they only shot 18 3's, shot 47% FGs, had a ton of points in the paint but got absolutely raped on FTs and beat fairly bad on rebounds.

The players screwed it up again but despite the poor performance their effort was enough to win if he godamn FTs were slightly more equal.

17. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

(Just adding off pervious comments)

I don't think Barnett likes that probability scale at all. He makes fun of it, especially in how it can change so quickly. So I don't agree that Barnett is particularly fond of that thing. Bob who is high on tracking FG%'s the whole game seems more into it, but he might show a little more interest in it because he is paid to.

Pietrus' travel at the end of the third quarter was tough. You have to give Pietrus a player to pass to when he has the ball in that situation. Monta must have already been up court or something, and I guess it's tough for Harrington and Azubuike to act that quickly with Pietrus. But I thought Pietrus played well. He tried to play Kobe tight in the second half as Jackson was guarding Kobe in the first I believe, but Pietrus got two fouls doing it, once on a fade away and the other time playing very close on Kobe like Pietrus did vs. Steve Francis about three years ago but got away with but pissed Francis off.

I still don't understand why people are so against Matt Barnes. What did I miss? I mean this is like Mike Dunleavy treatment and Matt Barnes has been huge this season. I don't understand.

Now for my take on the game:

There are three things that hurt the Warriors tonight. One was the officiating (I don't want to make it the only thing or the main thing but it was pretty big). Second was Sarunas. Third was Don Nelson (though this is related to the second point).

The officiating again was against the Warriors (about the third game in a row, twice at Staples). In the first quarter Baron went to the hoop and had some contact with Bynum but made the layup and there was no foul. I have no problem with that call too much until Kobe I believe encounters similar contact and it is a foul on the Warriors. Then Biedrins fouls out by doing the exact same thing Bynum did in the first quarter vs. Baron. The main player that gets screwed almost every night is Andris Biedrins. The Warriors call so many bad calls on him it's not even believeable. I agree somewhat with Jim Barnett in that the officiating was somewhat decent. But there are always seems to be a few more fouls against the Warriors in particular Andris Biedrins who is so important to this team that it just is so tough to take every night. I mean Baron Davis can't even get anything from the refs like Kobe, Wade, Tony Parker and others do. In the Cavs game that guy with the crazy hair totally pushes Harrington under the basket on that free throw and that Cavs ends up going to the FT line on the rebound. The thing that the refs do that kills Biedrins the most is blowing the whistle before there is any contact. I suppose they are used to slow, statue-like big men who don't move. But Andris is so elusive and quick unlike the other big men in the league, that if the refs were a bit slower or hesitant with the whistle I bet Andris doesn't get so many fouls.

Ok I went a little longer on that than I was planning. What I want to say about Sarunas and Nelson is that those two hurt the Warriors the most. Sarunas meant bad basketball all night for the Warriors. When Sarunas was out there was good defense and the pace was faster. When Sarunas was in there the defense was HORRIBLE, the tempo went to a halt, and the Warriors just crumbled. Why I mention Nelson is because I really believe that having Sarunas play so much, especially and in particular at the PG position hurt the team. If I am Nelson in this game I make Monta the PG because he plays and runs the team with the style that the team succeeds in. I also put in Azubuike as the off guard instead of Sarunas for more defense and ability to create turnovers and make plays off the ball. Sarunas doesn't get all the blame for having a slower paced game in the second half, but I put a lot of it on him and Nelson. I would rather have Stephen Jackson run the offense than Sarunas. Sarunas is just too slow and obviously there is no offensive system that he is running in the half-court game so there was no win in that situation.

Well I guess the Warriors are 19-23 now. They need to turn it on now.

18. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Fastbreak points should not count as "points in the paint" because nobody is actively there to guard them. Points in the paint should count as a statistic for when defenses are actually set in place.</div>

Agree and even if you do it that way we outscored them in the paint 37-23.

19. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The Warriors only had 19 fast break points, other than that I can't see how many of those other points in the paint weren't "real shots in the paint" or whatever you're saying they are. None of this adds up; we got more points in paint, we shot a higher FG%, shot less 3's, and still shot half as many FTs, Kobe shot 1 less than our entire team. The players ****** a lot of plays up but overall play of the team was solid, they only shot 18 3's, shot 47% FGs, had a ton of points in the paint but got absolutely raped on FTs and beat fairly bad on rebounds.

The players screwed it up again but despite the poor performance their effort was enough to win if he godamn FTs were slightly more equal.</div>

Actually, it was 13 out of 24 layups which included the 19 fast break points. The other PIP were two shots. You should get more fouls if you are shooting that much in the paint, but they were mostly lay ups.

The Warriors lost because they didn't really play well. If they could have continued outrunning the Lakers, then they could've done it -- just win baby even if it is ugly. But they couldn't do it from the perimeter.

20. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">LOL. That's what I was going to say about AL, but didn't want to crap on him cause its his second game. "He's too one dimensional."

If he's going to try and be the go to guy, then he has to do more than shoot and score especially at the PF spot.</div>

Crapping on no defense playing ballhogging one dimensional tweeners is my favorite pasttime, though. [​IMG]

He takes more shots than any other Warrior and luckily he wasn't shooting 4 for 19 this time. We'll just say we're still lacking roles in the frontcourt to add more power and dominance on the glass. If we get more power inside, maybe we're suddenly shooting 50% on posessions made against set defenses and getting the touch fouls because guys are actively using pump fakes and nice moves in the pivot. I think some shots inside are just forced or they just plain lose the ball. It's like there needs to be some measure of craftiness around the hoop and I don't think Harrington has it. It's only two games in though... but I'm reminded of how he played with the Hawks and Indiana. He wasn't all that IMO or more teams would be after him. The guy is a role player who shouldn't be taking that many shots, but fortunately he was hot tonight.