Warriors vs. Spurs Nov. 23 7:30 on FSN

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Nov 23, 2005.

1. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

Zarko does not look smooth and fluid even at his best,yet he is more in control than he appears and I like that he will drive inside. Dunleavy? He's missing shots he was making as a 15 year old kid. He's blowing layups I could make...and my game has gone downhill the last 20 years...if Dun was a walk-on like Miles,he'd be at the Greyhound depot tonight with a one-way ticket. Pietrus is out for a while...and now Dun has to prove he should play ahead of Zarko or Cheany. I don't understand it. I'd expected Mike Pete to beat out Mike Dun,but I still assumed Dun would be a good player. I figure he will,at some point,deserve his minutes,but for now,yuck.

2. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Custodian, I undertand what you're saying. I see that if the kid grew a pair, he'd be a solid player. But the way he was playing when I left, so tentative, camping out, pulling the chain and running back instead of following his shots. Coach K would've benched him for a short time, just to let him know that he's not using his head or his heart. Honestly, I think the last few games Cheaney would've out played him. At least he'd step in and take the 15 footer. I just don't get it. What happened to him? I went to that pre-season game against the suns when he was so fluid. It brought back memories of #17. That was the last time Dunleavy's shown up for a full game. I think he should play 20 minutes from the pine next game and urge him to take it at the hoop.

3. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kwan1031:</div><div class="quote_post">Forget his new extention or anything. When will this slump end? I mean, it's not like he is playing below his usual self so that we can call this stretch as a slump. He has been playing absolutely horrendously for 12 out of 13 games, and he can't even utilize extended garbage time well, when guys like Diogu, Zarko and Taft are playing extremely hard. We say this will end sooner or later, but exactly when? Based on 13 games, I won't be surprised if he pulls Chan Ho Park on us.

For positive news, Diogu looks quite impressive. He was quicker and more nimble than I thought. Hopefully, we can see his post up games next time as well. Taft was impressive and Miles ran the team well...</div>

That is a good question. Here is the thing. He changed his stroke. Why? I dont know. He seemed to shoot pretty well at the end of the year last year. Personally I would have stayed with it since it was working pretty well.

Just like Tiger Woods changed his swing that was working quite well for him Dunleavy decided to change his stroke. How long did it take for Woods to start winning again? A few years right? Lets hope it does not take that long for Dunleavy. Personally I would go back to my old stroke if I was him...

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CohanHater:</div><div class="quote_post">Custodian, I undertand what you're saying. I see that if the kid grew a pair, he'd be a solid player. But the way he was playing when I left, so tentative, camping out, pulling the chain and running back instead of following his shots. Coach K would've benched him for a short time, just to let him know that he's not using his head or his heart. Honestly, I think the last few games Cheaney would've out played him. At least he'd step in and take the 15 footer. I just don't get it. What happened to him? I went to that pre-season game against the suns when he was so fluid. It brought back memories of #17. That was the last time Dunleavy's shown up for a full game. I think he should play 20 minutes from the pine next game and urge him to take it at the hoop.</div>
    Cohanhater, I feel sorry for Dunleavy, but tough for him. That's why he and they get paid the way they do, because they have to deal with B.S. outside pressure all the time and they're trying their hardest to perform and be a team player. But they have to be like business executives. Nobody cares what the deal or excuses are for them, they just need to deliver results and get things done to please all who are concerned.

Dunleavy cannot start out the game shooting a long jumper. He should be banned from doing that. He's proven over and over he can't hit it for now. He needs to drive the lane and pull up for a closer shot or go for layups like how Rick Barry used to start out. If Dun's too slow to do that, then why the frick did we re-sign him if he has no capability to beat defenders and has no capability to get down low in that block. I mean I've seen Pietrus deliver more than Dunleavy does in one minute of playing time. I could care less if we used a lightweight shooting guard to play small forward that plays with a low bball I.Q.. As long as he can drive the lane, get fouled, put the ball in the basket off a catch, score at a good time and defend, we've got a real player for the mean time.

Dunleavy is just so overrated as a starter if he can't come in cold and bury the basket. The minute we drafted a duke jump-shooting player I kind of knew it was all over. We try to be hopeful, but damn. With Dunleavy I feel like I'm watching the WNBA's worst player. Things need to change soon. It's been 13 games already. Not even Jrich or Murphy struggled this long, I think.

5. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting wtwalker77:</div><div class="quote_post">The key to this game, and pretty much the key to any game the Warriors play this year, is how they shoot from the 3. They've become the Celtics, circa 2001, a total "live by the 3, die by the 3" type of team.

San Antonio is pretty good at defending the 3 (12th in the league in 3P% defense at .321%). That doesn't really matter though, because the Warriors have so many 3 point threats that no defense can shut them all down. It's not like Pop can send Bowen out to shut down Richardson or Davis and that's it. When the W's go small with Davis, Fisher, Richardson, Dunleavy, and Murphy, all 5 guys are 3 point threats. So it's really up to the Warriors to make shots or not.

But...

...San Antonio is one of the best rebounding teams in the league with a +3.5 rebounding margin and the Warriors are one of the worst at -4.6, so the Warriors aren't going to get many offensive rebounds. If the Warriors aren't making shots, or are just average, those long rebounds on missed 3's are going to turn into a lot of fast break points by Parker and Ginobili.

I dunno, I think we could analyze it all we want, but what it all boils down to is that the Spurs are the better team. But when the Warriors are hitting from 3, they can beat any team in the league on most nights. If the Warriors have a night like they did in Milwaukee, they're going to win. If they don't, the win one, lose one, trend will continue.</div>

That's why I didn't make a preview btw. No point. [​IMG]

6. Warriorfansnc93

Ok guys lets take a deep breath and put this into perspective a little bit, ok?

Dunleavy is struggling right now, that much is obvious. But before we start talking about how crappy his contract is lets put this into perspective along with some of our other "crappy" contracts.

Fisher was a disappointment to us last year. He had a shoot first mentality that alienated the other players on the court. He came into camp this year in amazing shape and is really kicking some butt out there. His contract looks justified so far this year compared to last year.

Foyle also was a huge disappointment last year. He came into camp out of shape and got injured early which set him back even further. He came into camp this year in the best shape of his career and even though he is not putting up a lot of points; he is getting some garbage points. Not only that, but he is gobbling up rebounds on most nights and playing great defense.

Murphy was a slight disappointment last year mainly due to multiple injuries. He is healthy this year and playing pretty darn well; even on defense!

Jrich went from a player who could not solid performances from one game to another. He was the most consistently inconsistent player on our team. He had a better year last year but it did not start off so hot. Now he is the most consistent performer on our team.

I have no doubt that Dunleavy will turn it around. The question is how long will it take. Even if he does not play well this year, there is a chance he could get stronger and do whatever he needs to do in the offseason and come back stronger than ever next year. Lets just give him some time. I know we are growing impatient but what else do we have to lose?

7. Warriorfansnc93

The one thing I have noticed from watching the highlights on TV and online is we had no defense. I know that is obvious, but what I mean is our guys did not even get their hands up to contest a shot or pass. The only one that did was Foyle. Murphy? No. Dunleavy? No. Baron? No.

I can understand a guy scoring over you sometimes, but you gotta at least get a hand up to distract him!