Warriors vs. Suns, 12/7/05 - 7:30pm (FSBay, NBALP, KNBR 60)

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Doctor Kajita, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I'm glad we lost tonight because this is a good wake up call to whoever put those darn lineups out there. We simply can't play the Suns style of game unless we have all starters and with a healthy Pietrus. We definitely could have used either Biedrins or Diogu on the glass tonight. It's a disgrace how Kurt Thomas almost got double digit offensive rebounds.

2. oaktank88

oaktank88 JBB JustBBall Member

and someone please tell me why baron averages like 10 threes a game when he's shootin 27% from 3 land? for gods sake michael redd only shoots like 3 or 4 threes a game, and he's hitting at a 57% clip

3. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Our rotation has no logic to it.

4. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting oaktank88:</div><div class="quote_post">and someone please tell me why baron averages like 10 threes a game when he's shootin 27% from 3 land? for gods sake michael redd only shoots like 3 or 4 threes a game, and he's hitting at a 57% clip</div>
    It's because the W's offensive movement is too static. Did anyone see how easy it was for the Suns to play those passing lanes? They sealed them all off whenever Baron went inside. They had a man in between every guy standing around waiting for the ball. You can blame Monty for the rotations, but I think he's putting in Cheaney, and all the Warrior non-favorites in because they actually study and know the plays to get open off the ball. That's the only reason I can think why Cheaney even plays. He actually knows the offense.

Still, we should have put in a real power forward at power forward and stop making Jrich play the 3. Who cares what the Suns do. We need big bodies that can keep everybody out and so we can get the boards.

5. Duckmyster

Duckmyster JBB JustBBall Member

I know that Murphy gets a bad rap as a so so power forward because he dosen't play much down in the post but, the man can rebound and he was sorely miss today. Hopefully he will be back on friday, because we are going to need him against the pistons.

6. Custodianrules2

What we could have used today is Ike Diogu or Biedrins at PF or C. Too many swingmen playing power forward. Only swing guys like Lebron, Marion or some other small forward with bulk and some freakass set of fast twitch muscles can get away with that. Dunleavy tried and did well on the boards, but man anytime an athletic dude sees Dunleavy inside the block or a smaller dude like Baron guarding the rim he's going right at them.

7. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    And the Clippers won again...bastids!

8. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">It's because the W's offensive movement is too static. Did anyone see how easy it was for the Suns to play those passing lanes? They sealed them all off whenever Baron went inside. They had a man in between every guy standing around waiting for the ball. You can blame Monty for the rotations, but I think he's putting in Cheaney, and all the Warrior non-favorites in because they actually study and know the plays to get open off the ball. That's the only reason I can think why Cheaney even plays. He actually knows the offense.

Still, we should have put in a real power forward at power forward and stop making Jrich play the 3. Who cares what the Suns do. We need big bodies that can keep everybody out and so we can get the boards.</div>

You're right. I don't know if putting blame on anyone is the thing to do at this point. The W's have little experience with good teams shutting down key aspects of their game, such as Baron Davis' passing. They need to start making adjustments and keep progressing. That is up to the coaching staff first and then the players to execute. Hopefully they will take one step back and two forward. Well, maybe after we lose to the Pistons...

Also, I just saw ESPN's NBA Fastbreak's assesment of the W's and it's apparent Greg Anthony and Tim Legler could give a rat's ass about them. First of all, Greg Anthony predicts the Lakers in the playoffs but put the W's as a "maybe," which is fair, I guess, but he is basing it off some weak points like "they are a 3 point shooting team only," which is true to some extent but they're doing a lot of things right that outweight their massive 3 point attempts per game. Tim Legler says, "yes," but then goes on to say that the only bench scoring the W's have is from Fisher...umm, what about Pietrus and Ike? They just don't get the pub and I could care less, but it's annoying to listen to narrow-minded mass media dribble.

9. Squishface

Squishface JBB Ministering Fools

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kensaku:</div><div class="quote_post">Also, I just saw ESPN's NBA Fastbreak's assesment of the W's and it's apparent Greg Anthony and Tim Legler could give a rat's ass about them. First of all, Greg Anthony predicts the Lakers in the playoffs but put the W's as a "maybe," which is fair, I guess, but he is basing it off some weak points like "they are a 3 point shooting team only," which is true to some extent but they're doing a lot of things right that outweight their massive 3 point attempts per game. Tim Legler says, "yes," but then goes on to say that the only bench scoring the W's have is from Fisher...umm, what about Pietrus and Ike? They just don't get the pub and I could care less, but it's annoying to listen to narrow-minded mass media dribble.</div>

I gotta say man, if you're not a huge, major-market media complex, the national guys don't give a crap about anything you do. The Lakers, hey let's cover Kobe's trial more than Congressional hearings about misgivings in Iraqi-American foreign policy, but if you're in Oakland, or Seattle (last season folks, last season), or the other Los Angeles team, or my boys in Beantown, or anywhere that's not LA, Miami, Detroit, or San Antonio, then what you do doesn't mean a thing. Three seasons ago, Detroit couldn't get a nationally televised spot, now they can't get away from 'em.

It seems to me that stations like ESPN need to keep away from the silly, misguided, and often overly simplified outlooks they seem to have on the entire league. Stick to what you know, and it seems the only thing you know is Shaq, Kobe, and champs. And you'll only know those champs for another two or three years, and then they'll be salivating over the next came and went. Never have I seen such lop-sided coverage, nor entirely inept reporting.

I can still recall when the Pistons beat the Lakers in the Finals, and everyone at the Network literally had to apologize to Pistons' fans for ignoring them. And some of us knew there wasn't a possibility of the Lakers winning that series. We all got a laugh, but it was clearly a sign of a far greater set of circumstances. An entire network actually hedged its bets and wrote off a team. A team that was clearly superior. They did this because the ratings would have been garbage had they not. And their apology was clearly to glean more numbers out of a proud group that would want to see them eat their words. Well, let me tell you, I shut that television off after the Finals, and I haven't been a regular viewer since.

10. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Squishface:</div><div class="quote_post">I gotta say man, if you're not a huge, major-market media complex, the national guys don't give a crap about anything you do. The Lakers, hey let's cover Kobe's trial more than Congressional hearings about misgivings in Iraqi-American foreign policy, but if you're in Oakland, or Seattle (last season folks, last season), or the other Los Angeles team, or my boys in Beantown, or anywhere that's not LA, Miami, Detroit, or San Antonio, then what you do doesn't mean a thing. Three seasons ago, Detroit couldn't get a nationally televised spot, now they can't get away from 'em.

It seems to me that stations like ESPN need to keep away from the silly, misguided, and often overly simplified outlooks they seem to have on the entire league. Stick to what you know, and it seems the only thing you know is Shaq, Kobe, and champs. And you'll only know those champs for another two or three years, and then they'll be salivating over the next came and went. Never have I seen such lop-sided coverage, nor entirely inept reporting.

I can still recall when the Pistons beat the Lakers in the Finals, and everyone at the Network literally had to apologize to Pistons' fans for ignoring them. And some of us knew there wasn't a possibility of the Lakers winning that series. We all got a laugh, but it was clearly a sign of a far greater set of circumstances. An entire network actually hedged its bets and wrote off a team. A team that was clearly superior. They did this because the ratings would have been garbage had they not. And their apology was clearly to glean more numbers out of a proud group that would want to see them eat their words. Well, let me tell you, I shut that television off after the Finals, and I haven't been a regular viewer since.</div>

Thanks for elaborating what was on the tip of my tongue...really. [​IMG]

Seriously, nice write-up there. It's all true. I use to be a fan of Ric Bucher but now he has fallen into the same trap...perhaps unwillingly [​IMG]. But, this, as you say "over-simplified" analysis of the "other teams" is really lame.

I appreciate the fact that we have Jim Barnett, as corny as he can be, as our color commentator because he really knows his stuff and points out quality aspects of the game rather than just the highlights.

11. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I just got back from the game, needless to say I'm pretty disgusted. How many matchups against the Suns will it take for Monty to find out that our small lineup isn't as good as theirs? How about at least putting Diogu in when theres no Baron or J-Rich, Diogu got 8 points in 9 minutes, alot of offensive rebounds, and he actually boxes out which provides rebounds for the rest of the team. I firmly believe that if we played Diogu 20 minutes we could have won, the guy was very productive in the short time he got (plus we played Zarko and Cheany in the fourth but no Diogu). Its not all Monty's fault though, Murphy would have helped alot on the boards as well as points, Foyle played like ****, Ellis and Cheany just arent different makers, and J-Rich didnt play as good as his stats suggest.

I have to give major props to the Suns though, they obviously know how to stop a PG who can drive and dish. All night they let Baron drive to the baseline, then trapped him and forced him to throw a bad pass or take a bad shot. I wish someone on the W's had the balls to knock Nash on his ass a couple times, not flagrant but a couple of hard fouls would at least make him think about driving.

The Warriors had a ton of crowd support but about half of the arena left after the couple of times where we didnt get a rebound late in the game. Overall dissapointing because we still havent beaten any good teams and this was a great opportunity to prove that they can beat some decent teams.

12. AnimeFANatic

I don't really see much structure to the Warriors offense or defense. It's like they don't practice many plays, not all the players are on the same page. I just see them hanging around waiting for Baron to do something miraculous for them. The only chances they have against good teams is streaky shooting and cold shooting from the opposing team.

13. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AnimeFANatic:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't really see much structure to the Warriors offense or defense. It's like they don't practice many plays, not all the players are on the same page. I just see them hanging around waiting for Baron to do something miraculous for them. The only chances they have against good teams is streaky shooting and cold shooting from the opposing team.</div>
    This is exactly what I'm seeing. Monty has some plays but none that are very reliable, tonight at the game I saw him signal the same play (and it was the same play) several times and both times pretty much we were looking for someone to be open but no one was resulting in a forced shot at the end of the shotclock. Plus if I can pick that up you'd think eventually some of the opposition would get it too and know what to expect their man to do. The defense is playing better but it still isnt that great, Monty doesnt switch to zone much or pack in the lanes or run traps which is what other teams that arent that gifted defensively do (Kings, Suns).

As you guys can tell I hate Monty but he did improve the D and making a major change now may screw up our playoff chances. Not to mention that maybe a coach that gets bitched around by the players is better for this team, I just wish he would get fired up sometimes and stop being so stubborn when his ingeneous lineups fail. Oh, and get in a refs face for christ's sake, we were the home team and getting some really bad calls.

14. AnimeFANatic

I think he wanted to go home and eat dinner, which is why he didn't contest calls.

Btw, what the hell happened to Taft? Where'd his ass go? I didn't see him at all.

15. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting AnimeFANatic:</div><div class="quote_post">I think he wanted to go home and eat dinner, which is why he didn't contest calls.

Btw, what the hell happened to Taft? Where'd his ass go? I didn't see him at all.</div>

I think he's on the inactive roster.

16. AnimeFANatic

Thats a bummer, I really like the kid too. Another victim of Monty's horrible rotation.

17. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

Foyle was the worst player on the floor. Murphy is out, it's his time to clean the glass and Thomas absolutely destroyed him. There was a period in the 3rd where Foyle got open look after open look and messed them all up. My anti-Foyle speeches have been plentiful but do not place blame on me, I call it like I see it. Foyle is not a starting center and this needs to be addressed. Outside of blocking shots, he is useless.

It's not a big deal we lost but Phoenix was not clearly better and we gave the game away. That pissed everyone off.....

18. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AnimeFANatic:</div><div class="quote_post">Thats a bummer, I really like the kid too. Another victim of Monty's horrible rotation.</div>

Relax. The guy is injured. That's why Ellis was activated.

Suns aren't as weak on D are they?

19. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting upsidedownside7:</div><div class="quote_post">Foyle was the worst player on the floor. Murphy is out, it's his time to clean the glass and Thomas absolutely destroyed him. There was a period in the 3rd where Foyle got open look after open look and messed them all up. My anti-Foyle speeches have been plentiful but do not place blame on me, I call it like I see it. Foyle is not a starting center and this needs to be addressed. Outside of blocking shots, he is useless.

It's not a big deal we lost but Phoenix was not clearly better and we gave the game away. That pissed everyone off.....</div>
    I'm with you on Foyle. We've got a low-IQ backup center with bad set of hands for a starter, but what can you do? Murphy doesn't really protect the weakside on D. We kind of need him. We need both until Diogu can prove he is better than Murphy in every way and Biedrins is ready to be a starter.

Too bad Monty didn't win with size. This lineup would have owned.

Biedrins
    Diogu
    Dunleavy (the hot hand)
    Jason Richardson (post up Bell or feed to Diogu or Dunleavy)
    Baron Davis

Fisher was hot tonight but we need him for the bench. He wants to shoot it all the time and tries to manufacture too much on his own. I'd rather have Ellis run around lose to set people up and do the best he can before Fisher tries it.

I don't care if Cheaney was right on the money with the lob pass to Zarko the guy shouldn't have played power forward tonight.

20. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm with you on Foyle. We've got a low-IQ backup center with bad set of hands for a starter, but what can you do? Murphy doesn't really protect the weakside on D. We kind of need him. We need both until Diogu can prove he is better than Murphy in every way and Biedrins is ready to be a starter.

Too bad Monty didn't win with size. This lineup would have owned.

Biedrins
    Diogu
    Dunleavy (the hot hand)
    Jason Richardson (post up Bell or feed to Diogu or Dunleavy)
    Baron Davis

Fisher was hot tonight but we need him for the bench. He wants to shoot it all the time and tries to manufacture too much on his own. I'd rather have Ellis run around lose to set people up and do the best he can before Fisher tries it.</div>
    Agreed, if we put a lineup in with a legit C and a legit PF we would have owned the glass but there was never a combonation of Foyle, Diogu, and Biedrins in at the same time. Ike is the only guy on our team who could make them pay for playing a small lineup, and he was but Monty wanted to try to beat the Suns at their own game I guess.