Warriors vs. Suns, 12/7/05 - 7:30pm (FSBay, NBALP, KNBR 60)

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Doctor Kajita, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Well, I hope the W's will take a different approach in the next encounter with the Suns.

2. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

At least Dunleavy made some plays. Throughout the end of the game he lost his shooting touch but getting to the basket is what got him hot in the 1st place.

3. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Well on the bright side we scored above 100, which many teams have failed to do against the Suns this season. We should try and get Alonzo in the off season haha, the guy is better than a lot of the centers in the league.

4. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Yes I'm disheartened but hey, the sky's not falling yet. The Suns are not some team that the Warriors should have rolled, even without Amare, they still have the First Team All-NBA PG, reigning MVP, Nash, and a Third-Team All-NBA Forward in Marion. Plus they had Raja Bell, former undrafted free agent, lighting it up from the outside (3 for 3 3PTs in the 3rd qtr), Kurt Thomas and Boris Diaw, one the hottest up and comers in the league. The Suns are not a pushover.

Now I was glued to the tube last night hoping that the Warriors could pull it out. The lack of Murphy really killed us, there was no one to get a big defensive rebound last night. 97-95, airball from Thomas (?), and Biedris lets the ball go right through his hands and Jackson puts in a lay-in. Killer, absolutely killer.

Dunleavy stepped up huge and Baron was amazing in the 1st half. Best thing about Dunleavy (yes he's got some photos on Barnett or something) was he kept shooting even when he missed in the 4th. He's got to be aggressive to keep people off of Baron.

JRich had some nice post ups but shot poorly overall. We had a T and he missed the free throw, ugly. The FTs killed us. Someone tell Baron to bend his knees and use some legs, he's stiffer than Shaq on the FTs.

Tough loss, but still, its not the end of the world, the Warriors have won 5 of last 6 and are still 12-7. Now the Pistons are coming (so am I) and I'm thinking we can sneak up on them and give them a surprise.

5. openglfx

openglfx JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Relax. The guy is injured. That's why Ellis was activated.

Suns aren't as weak on D are they?</div>
    If the Suns were that great on D we wouldn't have scored 110 would we?

6. openglfx

openglfx JBB JustBBall Member

Gotta blame Monty for not putting in Ike to exploit the Suns internal D weakness, we almost fouled out a few players. If we had inside prescence in scoring, the game was for the taking. Monty gotta get those guys to stop jacking up ill advised shots. It's the fourth quarter damn it, dump it inside and bang em inside. If not bang it inside then rotate out for a 3. Geez, disappointing loss it is.

7. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Get off Monty's back. He went from a horrendous team last year to 12-7. Step back. Wow. Its not easy to do.

This dump down offense "magic" was not an automatic fix. Remember what makes the Warriors exciting, running, getting out on the break and working the ball. Dumping to post and standing around is the anti-Warriors. yes its nice to have a post presence but there's more to it. Dump and stand around will bog down the offense even more.

Look at the Suns last night, on the floor, did they win because they had a post presence and the W's did not? No. They executed at the end when it was 102-101, Warriors. Simple. Its not about Diogu. Its about execution. The Warriors simply did not execute at the end, did not get good shots. Where were the weakside cuts the last 3 mins? Nowhere. Where were the fast breaks? Nowhere, no rebounds.

Simple. It was about the players not Monty.

8. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting philsmith75:</div><div class="quote_post">Simple. It was about the players not Monty.</div>
    You are right that the players we had playing didnt get the rebounds and score the points for us but its Monty's job to get the guys in there who will be effective against their lineup. The Suns want teams to play small lineups because Marion and Diaw can rebound and block like big men. How much common sense do you need to realize that we cant play a small lineup as well as the Suns can? Diogu was KILLING them in all of his 9 minutes on the glass and scoring down low, even if Monty didnt play Diogu in crunch time he could have played him more elsewhere (he only got 9 minutes and didnt play in the 4th Q at all, Monta and Cheany did). I dont see how you cant blame Monty for not taking advantage of that.

The players made some dumb moves but we really had some nice matchups that Monty didnt take advantage of. I dont remember a time where Baron posted up Nash, doing so would probably produce some offense with Nash's inability to stop Baron and Baron's ability to pass from the inside. Why not run some plays for Dunleavy? J-Rich was having an off night and being guarded by Marion, Dunleavy was hot and would have been matched with James Jones or Jim Jackson who arent very good defenders.

9. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting philsmith75:</div><div class="quote_post">Get off Monty's back. He went from a horrendous team last year to 12-7. Step back. Wow. Its not easy to do.

This dump down offense "magic" was not an automatic fix. Remember what makes the Warriors exciting, running, getting out on the break and working the ball. Dumping to post and standing around is the anti-Warriors. yes its nice to have a post presence but there's more to it. Dump and stand around will bog down the offense even more.

Look at the Suns last night, on the floor, did they win because they had a post presence and the W's did not? No. They executed at the end when it was 102-101, Warriors. Simple. Its not about Diogu. Its about execution. The Warriors simply did not execute at the end, did not get good shots. Where were the weakside cuts the last 3 mins? Nowhere. Where were the fast breaks? Nowhere, no rebounds.

Simple. It was about the players not Monty.</div>

I would rather watch them dump it down low, and win than run and gun and lose...

10. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting philsmith75:</div><div class="quote_post">Get off Monty's back. He went from a horrendous team last year to 12-7. Step back. Wow. Its not easy to do.

Simple. It was about the players not Monty.</div>

Couldn't have said it better.

11. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">I would rather watch them dump it down low, and win than run and gun and lose...</div>
    I think that Monty will use Diogu more on the high post (instead of isolations). That's just my thinking since isolations are what causes the whole team to stand around and drift off. Plus Diogu can set up people moving off the ball, shoot the shot, or drive.

Plus considering Diogu's style of play where he's constantly in motion with spin moves and pump fakes. It's hard to nail a shooter right in the hands for the open shot. He's not like Shaq or Yao where they both just pound the ball in deep as they can and find the open guy out on the arc. Ike is the slippery guy that stuns defenders by body bumping them off balance or faking them into the air. Plus a guy like Diogu can attack the rim on either side since he can use either left hand or right hand equally well. If Diogu gets a running start he can probably spin move in various directions or use the quick first step and confuse all sorts of players. He can get ground by footwork and using that strength of his.

12. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">You are right that the players we had playing didnt get the rebounds and score the points for us but its Monty's job to get the guys in there who will be effective against their lineup. The Suns want teams to play small lineups because Marion and Diaw can rebound and block like big men. How much common sense do you need to realize that we cant play a small lineup as well as the Suns can? Diogu was KILLING them in all of his 9 minutes on the glass and scoring down low, even if Monty didnt play Diogu in crunch time he could have played him more elsewhere (he only got 9 minutes and didnt play in the 4th Q at all, Monta and Cheany did). I dont see how you cant blame Monty for not taking advantage of that.

The players made some dumb moves but we really had some nice matchups that Monty didnt take advantage of. I dont remember a time where Baron posted up Nash, doing so would probably produce some offense with Nash's inability to stop Baron and Baron's ability to pass from the inside. Why not run some plays for Dunleavy? J-Rich was having an off night and being guarded by Marion, Dunleavy was hot and would have been matched with James Jones or Jim Jackson who arent very good defenders.</div>
    I don't want to jump to conclusions like we normally do when something doesn't go right, but maybe there's a reason for all this. I wouldn't call Monty senseless, but he definitely had questionable lineups.

I don't know if it was because those weird lineups understood the plays or better people for the job were hurting, but it didn't matter because it came down to not having the NBA ability and not rebounding the damn ball, hitting those midrange shots or beating defenders off the ball. Wish we could have seen more Ike but maybe the team message is understand the plays or you don't play. It's too bad since Pietrus, Baron or Ike seem like they don't need any of that to produce. Ah, well, I guess I'm jumping to conclusions and making assumptions about what would have worked better.
    [​IMG]

But we definitely need some kind or organization out there instead of one-on-one stuff. If we run a play where it is executed consistently every single time, and the other team can't defend it, it's an easy source of points and who knows, maybe we take an important player out of the game on the other team in the process. I think the Warriors will get better as the season goes, but we're not going to win if we try to play the Suns way, Nuggets or any other running team that can also get back on defense in transition and get double digit boards on us.