Washington @ Chicago: Game 1

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Mamba, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div align="center">[​IMG]). This matchup is bound to get physical so Haywood can't be intimidated. We need 10 ppg and atleast 8 rpg from him to win this series. Davis needs to make Haywood feel uncomfortable out there, he needs to be very physical, yet not overly aggressive. This matchup could easily see things heat up, I wouldn't be surprised if any of these two players get technicals thrown their way.
    ADVANTAGE: TOSS UP

The Bench
    Ahh. Chicago wins this by a mile. Tyson Chandler, Ben Gordon, Eric Piatkowski, and Jannero Pargo are all players capable of having a minimal effect in this game, but Ben Gordon is going to have an awesome series...I can feel it. Washington on the other hand has...Kwame Brown. This year has been horrible for him, injury-riddled and in-effective, this is his time to make an impact, to earn his contract. He has had a couple of good games in a row, lets continue that. If not, there isn't much hope for our bench. Etan Thomas has been a shell of what we thought we re-signed to a gargantuan contract (VERY OVERPAID[​IMG]). Dixon has been effective this year, but can he keep it up? He tends to disappear for awhile, not now. Steve Blake? Anthony Peeler was acquired for this reason here...veteran leadership during the playoffs, will that help us?
    ADVANTAGE: <font color="red">Chicago</font>

<div align="center"><font size="5"><font color="navy">Key</font><font color="red"> Players</font></font>
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (<font color="navy">Gilbert Arenas</font>, <font color="red">Kirk Hinrich</font>)
    Projected Stats
    <font color="navy">Gilbert Arenas: 27 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds</font>
    <font color="red">Kirk Hinrich: 17 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds</div></font>

<font size="5"><font color="navy">Keys</font><font color="red"> to</font><font color="navy"> the</font><font color="red"> Game</font></font>
    <font color="navy">Washington:</font>
    <ul>
    [*]<font color="navy">Win the Back Court Battle</font>- It is no secret that our backcourt of Gilbert Arenas and Larry Hughes have been 75% of the reason why we are in this series. Gilly and Hughes (or as I like to call them...<font color="navy">Capital Punishment</font>) need to continue their career years and out-hustle, out-play, out-everything the Chicago backcourt that includes Ben Gordan, Hinrich, and Chris Duhon.
    [*]<font color="navy">Will the Bigmen Show Up?</font>- Oh, what a great question. Brendan Haywood and Kwame Brown...will you show up? This could be an easy series for us if they do, why? Because Chicago simply doesn't have a big threat from the low post without Eddy Curry. Kwame is more than capable of pouring in 20 pts and grabbing 10 boards, but will he? Same goes for 'Wood, he is capable of putting in 15 and grabbing 10..but will he show up?
    [*]<font color="navy">The Bench</font>- Please please please, please just please...show up. Come to play. Dixon, Blake, Peeler, Thomas, Brown, and everyone else...show up. Chicago has a much better bench than us, so this is going to be huge for us if we have some production from our bench.
    [/list]

<font color="red">Chicago:</font>
    <ul>
    [*]<font color="red">Come Out Strong</font>- They are in the playoffs for the first time since Michael Jordan put that dagger in Jazz fans, so naturally the United Center should be alive. If the Bulls come out strong, there is no reason why they can't control the tempo all game long. The energy is going to be rocking, take advantage of that.
    [*]<font color="red">Ben Gordon</font>- Ah, this kid is spectacular. He deserves both 6th man and Rookie of the Year in my eyes. He should be able to come in here and put in 20 points with ease, but with all the anticipation and hype that will be in the building, I wouldn't be surprised for him to drop in atleast 25 points.
    [*]<font color="red">The Bigs</font>- The same goes for Chicago here, they need their bigmen to step up. Without their leading scorer, Eddy Curry, they really don't have a scoring big man presence to be felt. If Tyson can come in here and score 15, the loss of Curry won't be so sour, but if he can't and no one else steps up...this could be the Bull's downfall.
    [/list]

<font size="5"><font color="navy">Random</font> <font color="red">Movie</font><font color="navy"> Quote</font>*: </font>
    Peter: It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that I don't care.
    *Idea taken from Supersonic

<font size="5"> <font color="red">Prediction</font></font>
    This is the most exciting matchup in the whole first round. Both very young and exciting teams who can run. I like the Wizards in this one, just because we don't have as many key injuries as the Bulls do. I see this series going 6 games, with Washington winning. I take Washington 104-101.

2. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Good preview. I think the Wizards will win this one. Although they do have young players themselves, for some reason I just see them dominating these young Bulls. Many of these players haven't see the playoffs in their lives either. I see Arenas exploding in the playoffs. Also they are at somewhat of a size disadvantage . I mean Duhon and Hughes??? That's a mismatch I see being taken advantage of by Washington. I also don't think Hinrich will be able to hold Arenas. He will be excited playing his first playoff game this season. Jamison and Othella Harrington? Another mismatch being taken advantage of imo. It will be a very interesting game witnessing two brand new playoff teams going head to head.

Prediction: Wizards 94-88
    Season Outlook: Wizards 4-0

3. sactomofo

sactomofo BBW Member

Yeah, I like the Wizards to take this series especially since Eddy Curry is out with his irregular heartbeat. Hopefully, the Wizards will be able to take advantage of this hole and win the series.

4. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">Good preview. I think the Wizards will win this one. Although they do have young players themselves, for some reason I just see them dominating these young Bulls. Many of these players haven't see the playoffs in their lives either. I see Arenas exploding in the playoffs. Also they are at somewhat of a size disadvantage . I mean Duhon and Hughes??? That's a mismatch I see being taken advantage of by Washington. I also don't think Hinrich will be able to hold Arenas. He will be excited playing his first playoff game this season. Jamison and Othella Harrington? Another mismatch being taken advantage of imo. It will be a very interesting game witnessing two brand new playoff teams going head to head.

Prediction: Wizards 94-88
    Season Outlook: Wizards 4-0</div>

You're predicting a sweep by Washington? Wow, you're on something if that's the case. If one of the big three for the Wiz have a bad game, where are they gonna get the points back? The team has zero depth. Beyond depth problems, they're absolutely terrible on defense. They may be able to score 100+, but if you can't contain another team from scoring, you can't win. This team has a lot of issues and they'll come and haunt them in this series. I see Chicago taking the series in seven games. And, if you want to see my full thoughts on the series, drop by the preview in the Bulls forum.

EDIT:
    One last quick stat for you. 100.5 - 100.82. In other words, your defense gave up more points than your offense scored this year. If it's that bad in the postseason, you're screwed. I don't care if you had the season series against us or what, if your defense doesn't show up, you won't be escaping the first round.

5. og15

og15 JBB *********

^
    Oh we know about out defensive problems, but the Wizards also only lost to the Bulls when Larry Hughes was injured. The Bulls backcourt can't handle the Wizards backcourt, and without Curry they'll struggle to get inside scoring. I just don't see what advantage the Bulls have outside of defense.

Also isn't the matchup Larry Hughes vs Kirk Hinrich as opposed to Hinrich guarding Arenas. Duhon should be the one likely guarding Arenas though when Gordon and even when Gordon comes in, it would likely be him on Arenas, and Hinrich on Hughes.

I think the Bulls will take this one, their first game at home, I just see then wanting to come out, and take it, but I see the Wizards taking the next one on the road, sweeping at home, and then winning one more on the road to win it all 4-2.

Bulls win game 1: 97 - 96, Gordon hits the game winner.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> If one of the big three for the Wiz have a bad game, where are they gonna get the points back? The team has zero depth</div>
    Huh? You know Juan Dixon is back right? Also Kwame while not doing too great is better on the road than at home because the fans boo him at home when he's not performing well and it affects his minutes. He doesn't really have homecourt advantage at times, so he can put up points too, especially on the road. Even Etan Thomas has been having double digit scoring nights.

6. Mamba

I will edit that matchup error when I get back from school today.

7. og15

og15 JBB *********

Also to add, Hughes shot 50%+ in each of the last 5 games of the season, and shot 51.8% average in his last 5 games while averaging 23.2 PPG. He also shot 38.9% from 3PT range, and averaged 3.0 steals, so basically Hughes is hot right now.

8. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Huh? You know Juan Dixon is back right? Also Kwame while not doing too great is better on the road than at home because the fans boo him at home when he's not performing well and it affects his minutes. He doesn't really have homecourt advantage at times, so he can put up points too, especially on the road. Even Etan Thomas has been having double digit scoring nights.</div>

What's Dixon done over the last couple months that's so great and impressive? He's only had 4 double digit scoring games in March/April and he's had 3 games where he didn't score anything.

Kwame has been inconsistent all year. Sure, he's had a few good games as of late, but what's to think he's going to be able to keep it up when he's in the playoffs for the first time in his career? I think he's the one person that is likely to completely disappear come playoff time, and if that happens, the Wiz are in trouble.

9. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">What's Dixon done over the last couple months that's so great and impressive? He's only had 4 double digit scoring games in March/April and he's had 3 games where he didn't score anything. </div>
    He's been on the IL the last couple month, that's why, he played a few games sparingly, but he's been injured. He was out for a lot of February and March, and was just getting back into the groove. He's a guy that can heat up at any given time and about everytime he get's 20+ MPG he scores in double digits.

The Wizards have no dependance on Kwame, if he dissapears, it happens, if he comes to play it's a bonus. Remember he was missing for most of the year anyways, and the Wiz were perfectly fine without him, so their's 0 dependance on him producing. You emphasize him being in the playoffs for the first time in his career, but so are a lot of the key players on both these teams, so that can be said about anyone on the Bulls too.

10. Mamba

Kwame's contract status next year is riding on this offseason, I hope he doesn't disappear.

11. Mamba

What a game so far..back and forht..Kwame and Hughes are keeping us in this. Arenas and Jamison are struggling. I told everyone Kwame would show up for this game. Ben Gordon has also been on fire.

Right now the score is 53-52 Chicago at the half. Should be a great 2nd half, especially if Arenas can pick up his play and Kwame can keep up his great play.

12. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Exciting game is right, this looks more like a regular season game than a playoff game though. The drive and slam by Kwame was nasty. I still think Kwame needs to work on his shooting touch though. His shot is flat and doesn't have the soft touch off the rim and backboard. Juan Dixon looks sharp in this game, he's doing a solid job on the court. Nocioni had a nice first half for the Bulls.

I'm happy if I'm the Wizards though. Gilbert Arenas has yet to make a basket, but you are only down by 1 point. Jamison is also struggling 1 for 8 from the field. Can't wait for the second half.

13. Mamba

Larry Hughes is amazing, we better re-sign him.

Antawn Jamison - Crap.

14. og15

og15 JBB *********

Larry Hughes is just playing some crazy basketball right now. Kwame also had a good first half performance with 13 points and 4 rebounds.

Jamison and Arenas look to be making something, and if they can get in the game it should make it a whole lot easier.

15. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

This is the most exiting series in the first round. This is the only game sofar whre two guys really go at eachother (Ben& Huges). If chandler starts contrling the boards the bulls could gain the advantage.69-71 Bulls.

16. Andrew23226

Andrew23226 JBB JustBBall Member

Arenas is playing awful. The fact that this game is so close despite his horrendous performance and Jamison's poor performance is actually pretty impressive.

17. Mamba

Wow...Nocioni raped us.

Who would of thought...Kwame Brown, our most calm player?

18. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

i said in the bulls forum, Chicagos fresher legs prevailed in the final 3 minutes. Ben and nochioni had spectacular nights. And Charles dumbs comments about the bulls not having a triple threat but he hasnt seen a game all year. Hinrch, Noch, Ben, can drop 20 on a given night. How ya like that dunk by Duhon. YEEEAH BABY! kind of reminded me of myself.

19. og15

og15 JBB *********

Late game turnovers really didn't help. Arenas had a good passing game, but just couldn't get himself going offensively. Jamison picked it up later in the game, but it wasn't enough to make much difference.

I was really impressed with Kwame, I hope he's fine, he played a great game, and he was killing the Bulls big men with his first step in iso's. It's good that the Wizards were able to stay so close with Arenas being a non-factor in scoring output, and also with Jamison playing bad, it gives hope for game #2.

I expected a loss this game, but the Wizards will come out firing in game 2. Let's hope Kwame is fine.

20. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">Wow...Nocioni raped us.

Who would of thought...Kwame Brown, our most calm player?</div>

I think rape might be too nice of a term.....it's unfortunate I can't think of another one though. But Noc did kick the crap out of you. 25/18, set the playoff record for rebounds by a rookie if I'm correct. And you called it in your preview, Ben Gordon dominated as well. He caught fire early on and kept it going all game. Bulls will be tough to beat if they can keep up this play on both ends, as they did a good job containing Jamison and Arenas, and also shut down Hughes and Kwame in the second half. I believe the Wiz shot something like 38% from the floor, but I'm not positive. Nonetheless though, it was a good game and hopefully the rest of series is this good.....with the Bulls winning of course [​IMG]