Washington @ Chicago: Game 2

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Mamba, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div align="center">[​IMG] (he knows I'm kidding). Arenas didn't shoot well, he didn't play well at all until the 2nd half of the game, then he played decent. Duhon on the other hand really surprised, he grabbed 10 rebounds..how the hell did he do that? He was 3 points and 4 assists shy of a triple double. I look for Arenas to come in here and be pissed. Knowing Arenas, he won't let his horrible game 1 affect him, the matchup is still in his favor.
    ADVANTAGE: <font color="navy">Washington</font>

Shooting Guard
    <font color="navy">Larry Hughes</font> VS. <font color="red">Kirk Hinrich</font>
    Larry Hughes dominated this matchup until 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter. He was on a roll in the first half, scoring 25 points, shooting 10-12 from the field. There is no reason why he can't repeat that performance here tonight. As for Hinrich, he had an overall good game. 17, 7, and 5, he didn't need to do anymore than that. If he can repeat that and play some better defense on Hughes, he will get his job done.

Small Forward
    <font color="navy">Jared Jeffries</font> VS. <font color="red">Andres Nocioni</font>
    Wow. 18 rebounds for Nocioni, that is all I have to say. If that happens again, Jeffries should be our towel boy.
    ADVANTAGE: <font color="red">Chicago</font>

Power Forward
    <font color="navy">Antawn Jamison</font> VS. <font color="red"> Othella Harrington</font>
    Well, in game one this was a closer matchup than I thought. Antawn didn't come on strong until the late 3rd quarter. He needs to have a strong game all the way through to give the Wizards a better chance of winning. Othella, on the other hand, had a good performance, not stellar, but just what the Bulls needed. I look for Jamison to continue to have the advantage here, I just expect him to dominate in game 2.

Center
    <font color="navy">Brendan Haywood</font> VS. <font color="red">Antonio Davis</font>
    This was a very even matchup in game 1, like I predicted. No player really had a change on the outcome of the game, both just did their parts to chip in. Haywood needs to be more aggressive here, he needs to call for the ball down in the post and take it strong. Davis needs to keep being physical, he can't let Haywood get the ball easy in the post. Make everything tough on him.
    ADVANTAGE: TOSS UP

The Bench
    Still no change, as long as Ben Gordon comes in and scores 30 points, the Wizards' bench can't compare. Kwame Brown was on fire in the first half for the Wiz, but he was denied the ball by his own players in the second -- Arenas, Hughes, and Dixon. Dixon was a decent surprise off of the bench, he scored 11 but he didn't shoot well (4-12). Only thing to say about the Bulls' bench is -- Ben Gordon.
    ADVANTAGE: <font color="red">Chicago</font>

<div align="center"><font size="5"><font color="navy">Key</font><font color="red"> Players</font></font>
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (<font color="navy">Gilbert Arenas</font>, <font color="red">Kirk Hinrich</font>)
    Projected Stats
    <font color="navy">Gilbert Arenas: 28 points, 4 assists, 5 rebounds</font>
    <font color="red">Kirk Hinrich: 16 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds</div></font>

<font size="5"><font color="navy">Keys</font><font color="red"> to</font><font color="navy"> the</font><font color="red"> Game</font></font>
    <font color="navy">Washington:</font>
    <ul>
    [*]<font color="navy">BOX OUT</font>- Is it that hard? Should Chris Duhon really be getting 10 rebounds? Should Nocioni really be getting 18 boards? HELL NO. BOX OUT, IT ISN'T THAT HARD.
    [*]<font color="navy">Don't Neglect the Bigs</font>- I believe this is why we lost game 1, our guards neglected the big men. Kwame was unstoppable in the game, he was beating whoever the Bulls threw at him off of the dribble, he had post position a lot and the guards neglected him the ball. When Kwame is having a good game, you have to give him the ball, it makes winning a lot easier.
    [*]<font color="navy">Smart Decisions</font>- The other reason we lost, stupid mistakes. Down the stretch our guards were lost out there, idiotic turnovers, forced shots, they relied too much on the refs. Granted it could be playoff jitters, they have to get over it to give the Wizards a chance to win.
    [/list]

<font color="red">Chicago:</font>
    <ul>
    [*]<font color="red">Ben Gordon</font>- Before game 1, he was struggling, shooting a low percentage from the field in his previous 10 games. Was it the ending of a bad shooting streak, or was it just the hype of getting the Bulls back into the playoffs that led him to that great game 1? I think it was a mixture of both, but I think he can easily fall back into that streak if the Wizards apply heavy pressure to him when he first enters the game, we can't give him anything easy.
    [*]<font color="red">Continue the Rebounding</font>- I really don't think Duhon and Nocioni will have amazing rebounding games again, but as a team, if the Bulls can continue the rebounding like that, it will make things a hell of a lot easier to get a win.
    [*]<font color="red">Be Ready</font>- That is all I have to say for Chris Duhon/Ben Gordon/Kirk Hinrich. Gilbert Arenas is going to be pissed. Knowing him as a player, he hasn't gotten that horrible game 1 out of his head and will be coming out to erase it. Don't expect to keep him down this game, I wouldn't be surprised if he exploded for 40.
    [/list]

<font size="5"><font color="navy">Random</font> <font color="red">Movie</font><font color="navy"> Quote</font>*: </font>
    Buzz: You are a sad, strange, little man. You have my pity. Farewell.
    *Idea taken from Supersonic

<font size="5"> <font color="red">Prediction</font></font>
    Game 1 was a very exciting game with Chicago stealing the win in the final minutes, don't expect the same. Washington hung in there throughout the game without production from Gilbert Arenas and limited production from Jamison, you can't expect those players to stay down. I like Washington to avenge the loss in game 1 with a 102-97 victory here.

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

It took a career night by Nocioni and an off night by Arenas for the Bulls to win game one. I'm also predicting the Wizards to tie the series. One thing Arenas has is a short term memory, and his first game jitters should be gone.

3. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

I think that what people fail to realize about the bulls is the fact that Kurt, duhon, nocioni. can drop 20 on a given night. we have alot of decent scorers on our team, sleepers like Pargo, that have good numbers when they get playing time. Alot of our points are created by our defence.

Charles Barkley predicted that the bulls would lose game 1 and the series. He also predicted that the lakers would win the championship(last year). I know that this is Washingtons posting section so I expect some backlash. But Dont underestimate chicagos defence.

People say that well chicago lost Curry and Deng. Okay weve been without Deng for half the season and after Curry got injured we still won well over 50% of our games.

And i think fatigue will play a factor. Your Big 3 has to play big minutes and skiles has the option of rotating his players to keep them fresh.

ALso your defence isnt the best, and not knowing who to focus on defensively i think will hurt the wizards.

Where chicago has the advantage of knowing that the big three will be their focus defencively. they want someone outside of them to have to step up.

ANd they say good team defence beats offence (on a team scale).

But my prediction on the series is that the bulls will simply wear down washington and by game 6 they are gonna be spent. the bulls physical play will prevail it aint gonna be a cake walk but the bulls fresher legs and hustle will win this one for the home Team.

Chicago104 Washington 97

then off to D.C.

Kobe 8 ball would u mind posting ur preview in the Chicago section. We would greatly appreciate it.

4. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting michiganave17:</div><div class="quote_post">I think that what people fail to realize about the bulls is the fact that Kurt, duhon, nocioni. can drop 20 on a given night. we have alot of decent scorers on our team, sleepers like Pargo, that have good numbers when they get playing time. Alot of our points are created by our defence. </div>

Duhon, dropping 20?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Charles Barkley predicted that the bulls would lose game 1 and the series. He also predicted that the lakers would win the championship(last year). I know that this is Washingtons posting section so I expect some backlash. But Dont underestimate chicagos defence. </div>

Barkley wasn't the only one to predict the Lakers to win last year, a lot of experts did.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">People say that well chicago lost Curry and Deng. Okay weve been without Deng for half the season and after Curry got injured we still won well over 50% of our games. </div>

True, but Curry was your leading scorer, no playoff team has ever won a playoff series without their leading scorer, history is at odds with you.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">And i think fatigue will play a factor. Your Big 3 has to play big minutes and skiles has the option of rotating his players to keep them fresh. </div>

What's to say that Gordon and Hinrich, your main scorers, won't get tired?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">ALso your defence isnt the best, and not knowing who to focus on defensively i think will hurt the wizards. </div>

It didn't hurt us much last game, and we didn't even have the big 3 producing for us. We had Hughes for the whole game, Antawn for the second half, and Arenas for none. We contended all game long, what makes you tihnk Arenas will be held down again?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Where chicago has the advantage of knowing that the big three will be their focus defencively. they want someone outside of them to have to step up.</div>

They way Kwame and Dixon stepped up, right?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">ANd they say good team defence beats offence (on a team scale).</div>

True, but there wasn't much defense in the first game...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">But my prediction on the series is that the bulls will simply wear down washington and by game 6 they are gonna be spent. the bulls physical play will prevail it aint gonna be a cake walk but the bulls fresher legs and hustle will win this one for the home Team.</div>

Arenas never runs out of energy, have you seen him? He is constantly running around, I don't think energy will be a factor amongst us.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Kobe 8 ball would u mind posting ur preview in the Chicago section. We would greatly appreciate it.</div>

Should be there already

5. og15

og15 JBB *********

Geez finally, I've been waiting

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Arenas also had issues with his jump shot. While watching tape leading up to the game, Arenas noticed that the Chicago guards have a habit of aggressively leaving their feet to contest jump shots. Arenas adopted the strategy of using pump fakes and leaning into the contact with the hope that it would get him to the foul line. However, in a playoff game, Arenas didn't get many of the calls he wanted and he ended up attempting only two free throws in 47 minutes.

"I took 19 shots and 16 of them were off-balance," Arenas said with shrug and a smile. "I won't do that again."</div>

Arenas definately overanalyzed that tape, he needs to just play his game. The Wizards should take this one, I see them coming out with more urgency, and Arenas shouldn't have a bad game again. Defense is also key, the Bulls should not be allowed to score 100 points.

6. Umer remU

Umer remU JBB Banned Member

I Predict Bulls Sweeping The Wizards

7. og15

og15 JBB *********

Remember you're the ones that have been home, and you beat the Wizards by a slight margin even with Arenas and Jamison being non-factors. Unless some major injury happens, the likelyness of that is slim to none.

8. Umer remU

Umer remU JBB Banned Member

good point, but BULLS SWEEP ANYWAYS

9. ChicagoSportsFan

I think that the wizards are worried about their chances. Or why would Jamison make those remarks about Nocionis game. Its like they are trying to hide their fear with these remarks. And its just not wise to give the Bulls more motivation to win. But I say let them keep talking while the Bulls keep winning.

Where im from its called WOOFIN. Making madd noise when ur afraid. We have all encountered these kind of people, they can talk a good game but when the rubber hits the road it was all talk.

10. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Umer remU:</div><div class="quote_post">good point, but BULLS SWEEP ANYWAYS</div>

[​IMG] That post is almost stupid enough to be deleted, but I will leave it for the rest of JBB to see how great you contradict yourself [​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting michiganave17:</div><div class="quote_post">I think that the wizards are worried about their chances. Or why would Jamison make those remarks about Nocionis game. Its like they are trying to hide their fear with these remarks. And its just not wise to give the Bulls more motivation to win. But I say let them keep talking while the Bulls keep winning.</div>

Why the hell would we be scared. YOU guys were at home, YOU guys struggled to beat us WITHOUT production from Arenas, and half-effort from Jamison. To say we are scared is rubbish.

11. ChicagoSportsFan

FUN FACT:

Chicago has won 29 of 30 <u>first-round series </u> after taking the opening game.

The Wizards have not won a playoff game since 1988.

12. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting michiganave17:</div><div class="quote_post">FUN FACT:

Chicago has won 29 of 30 <u>first-round series </u> after taking the opening game.

The Wizards have not won a playoff game since 1988.</div>

Here is a great fact for ya: No team has ever won a series without their leading scorer...where is Eddy Curry?

13. ChicagoSportsFan

<font color="red">If you want to bait Washington fans, do it in a forum that I can't edit. Baiting is against JBB guidelines, please refrain from doing it.

Thank You,

Kobe 8 Ball</font>

14. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting michiganave17:</div><div class="quote_post">FUN FACT:

The Wizards have not won a playoff game since 1988.</div>
    Why do you keep saying these dumb facts, these are not the same players, the Bulls don't have Jordan and Pippen, the Wizards don't have Webber or Mitch Ritchmond or any of that nonsense.

These facts mean nothing at all to this series, so I really don't know why you keep bringing it up over and over again?

15. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I think the Wiz will come out determined to play better. All in all, if you look at it, the game wasn't nearly as close as the box said it was. By all means, the Bulls should have dominated this game. They held Washington to 38% shooting, shut down Arenas, shut down Jamison, and shut down Hughes after the half. They dominated the boards, outrebounding them 54-44. Washington needs to improve in pretty much every facet of the game tonight if they're to win. At least two of the big three need to produce and not have it be the one man Larry Hughes show again. If that happens, they're once again in trouble.

For the Bulls, look for them to be confident and come out aggressive early. They know they have the chance to take a commmanding lead tonight and send Washington realing out to D.C. For them, just do what they did in game 1. When Ben comes in, get him the ball early and often and let him get going. Keep Washington off the boards and don't let them get 2nd chance points. The only thing they need to do better is to contain Kwame. He dominated early on, thankfully, Washington completely ignored him the 2nd half and left it up to the big three. Chicago can't let that happen again. Shut him down early but don't forget about the rest of the team. If they can do that and at least contain one of the big three, preferrably Arenas, they should go out to Washington with a 2-0 series lead.

16. ChicagoSportsFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Why do you keep saying these dumb facts, these are not the same players, the Bulls don't have Jordan and Pippen, the Wizards don't have Webber or Mitch Ritchmond or any of that nonsense.

These facts mean nothing at all to this series, so I really don't know why you keep bringing it up over and over again?</div>

In 88 those guys were kids( webber, howard ect..). Its a Fun fact, something interesting that may predict the out come of the series. This record goes back 30 years dude, we are talking about before jordan and pippen. And its obvious that its not that team because all those guys have retired. We are Talking about Bulls and Wizzards history not current team history. GEEZ!

17. us0r

us0r JBB JustBBall Member

Errrr... That was so frustrating.........

18. ChicagoSportsFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Umer remU:</div><div class="quote_post">good point, but BULLS SWEEP ANYWAYS</div>

U might be Nostridamous buddy, Im counting on ur prediction!

19. og15

og15 JBB *********

I didn't watch the game, I was out playing basketball, very dissapointed that I missed it, but from the box score I can basically interprete what happened. The Wizards played garbage defense again, while I like Hinrich, he's not a high percentage shooter, and allowing him to shoot 12-15 is just unacceptable.

Like I said, Arenas would not be shut down, he's not the one that you look to shut down. Arenas came out firing and had a big game with 39 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, and 5 steals, but it just wasn't enough to get the win.

Kwame was a minimal producer in this game, and since I didn't watch I'm not sure why, but I'd guess it's because he didn't get the ball, kinda like it's been the whole season. The biggest problems for the Wizards in this one were turnovers and defense. If you commit 18 turnovers, and let the other team shoot 48.8% FG and 53.3% 3PT, unless they're doing the same, you're not going to win.

Good win by the Bulls, Noc and Gordon didn't come close to replecating their performances, but Hinrich really stepped it up hitting 12-15 shots and 5-5 three's. Duhon though he couldn't buy a basket added 8 rebounds and 7 assists. Big man AD also had 18 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists, and I'm assuming one Gorilla dunk to go along with it. The Wizards are going home now, and should win those games, but if they can't win a game on the road, they have no hope in the series.

20. Mamba

It's great that Arenas stepped up, but where is the rest of the team?