Washington @ L.A. -- 12/17

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Mamba, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div align="center">[​IMG]@[​IMG]
    <font color="navy">The Washington Wizards (12-8)</font>@<font color="purple">The Los Angeles Lakers (13-9)</font>
    Time: 10:00 PM Eastern
    Place: The Staples Center
    TV: Local</div>

<div align="center"><font size="5"><font color="navy">Wizards Head Coach</font></font>
    [​IMG]
    <font color="navy">Eddie Jordan</font></div>

<div align="center"><font size="5"><font color="navy"> WizardsProjected Starting Lineup</font></div></font>
    <div align="center">[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    <font color="navy">(Gilbert Arenas, Larry Hughes, Jared Jeffries, Antawn Jamison, Brendan Haywood) </font></div>

<div align="center"><font size="5"><font color="purple">Lakers Head Coach</font></font>
    [​IMG]
    <font color="purple">Rudy Tomjanovich</font></div>

<div align="center"><font size="5"><font color="purple">Lakers Projected Starting Lineup</font></font>
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    <font color="purple">(Chucky Atkins, Kobe Bryant, Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, Chris Mihm)</font>
    </div>

<div align="center"><font size="5">Bench Factors</font>
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (<font color="navy">Kwame Brown</font>,<font color="purple">Jumaine Jones</font>)
    </div>

<div align="center"><font size="5">Key Matchup</font>
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (<font color="navy">Larry Hughes</font>, <font color="purple">Kobe Bryant</font>)
    <font color="navy">Larry Hughes:</font> 18.4 ppg, 4.9 apg, and 6.3 rpg
    <font color="purple">Kobe Bryant:</font>27.1 ppg, 7.6 apg, and 6.8 rpg</div>

<font size="5">Keys to the Game</font>
    <font color="navy">Washington:</font>
    <ul>
    [*]Offensive Boards- With a horrible rebounding team like the Lakers the Wizards can easily dominate the glass. This could very well be an easy win for the Wizards if they dominate the glass, if they do not this game will be a good one
    [*]Hughes on Kobe- Hughes has played awesome D all year long, limiting opposing SGs and absolutely controlling Richard Jefferson. Kobe will be a bigger test for him, but Kobe has been shooting the ball horribly from the field and I believe Hughes will show up to play some serious D in this one and force Kobe to take bad shots.
    [*]Team Play- Play as a team, get everyone involved because honestly, when Jamison isnt involved he is worthless. He isnt doing the things he did last year in Dallas, posting up and kicking out. He is shooting long range jumpers and it is hurting the Wizards, either get him to post up or dont let him shoot, its that simple, he is hurting us as of late.
    [/list]

<font color="purple"> Los Angeles:</font>
    <ul>
    [*]Boxing Out- The Wizards are the top offensive rebounding team in the league, the Lakers are a bad rebounding team. They must stop the Wizards from grabbing O boards or it will be a long night for them.
    [*]Lamar going to show up?-Every year a player blows up against the Wizards, last year Tmac exploded for 60 and two games ago Shaq exploded for 40. Lamar had a great game last night against the Kings, will he be able to put together back to back good games? Or will he go back to being the Lamar the Lakers have had all year?
    [*]Hit shots...again?- Last night against the Kings, every Laker was nailing their shots..is this a sign of improvment or just a lucky night? They must hit their shots once again to relieve stress off of Kobe..can they do it?
    [/list]

<font size="5"> Prediction</font>
    L.A. is coming off of a huge win last night against the Kings and a great shooting night. Lamar and the rest of the Lakers showed up to play with Kobe and the Lakers were rolling. BUT this isnt the Wizards team of the past couple of years, this is a new team and I think they will sneak out of L.A. with a W in a really tight and good game. Wizards win 98-96

2. Miami's Finest

Miami's Finest JBB JustBBall Member

Nice preview but just one note: I don't think Shaq has been struggling offensively, he has the best FG% in the NBA, that means the only thing he's being limited to is FGAs and FT%.

What happened in the game against the Wiz was that he had more attempts (he shot 15-23, about 75%) and he landed his FTs (10-16).

Same with Lamar Odom, he's averaging his best FG% in his career, the only thing is that his FGAs are down this year as well. Besides T-Mac, LO and Shaq are doing just fine offensively (cept maybe FTs)

Anyways this should be a good game. Like you said, the Wizards will put the Laker's defensive rebounding to the test. If they don't keep em off the glass the Lakers are gonna find it more difficult to win like the Heat did. This will be a close game, too close for me to make a pred. I'll take a wild guess and pick the Lakers.

3. Mamba

Updated

4. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

<div align="center">[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    <font color="blue">Washington Wizards</font> (12-8) @ <font color="purple">Los Angeles Lakers</font> (13-9)

Date: Friday, December 17th
    Time: 7:30 PM
    TV: FSN, NBALP

Previous Games:
    Heat @ Wizards 98 - 93 (LOSS)
    Lakers @ Kings 115 - 99 (WIN)

Projected Starting Lineups

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <font size="1">(Eddie Jordan)</font>
    C - <font color="Blue">Brendan Haywood</font> (10.2 PPG, 8.6 RPG, 0.6 APG)
    PF - <font color="Blue">Antawn Jamison</font> (21.8 PPG, 9.0 RPG, 2.7 APG)
    SF - <font color="Blue">Jared Jeffries</font> (6.1 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 1.3 APG)
    SG - <font color="Blue">Larry Hughes</font> (18.4 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 4.9 APG)
    PG - <font color="Blue">Gilbert Arenas</font> (21.6 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 5.5 APG)

<font size="4">VS</font>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <font size="1">(Rudy Tomjanovich)</font>
    C - <font color="Purple">Chris Mihm</font> (11.4 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 0.4 APG)
    PF - <font color="Purple">Lamar Odom</font> (14.5 PPG, 10.5 RPG, 2.6 APG)
    SF - <font color="Purple">Caron Butler</font> (13.0 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 1.4 APG)
    SG - <font color="Purple">Kobe Bryant</font> (27.3 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 7.0 APG)
    PG - <font color="Purple">Chucky Atkins</font> (10.4 PPG, 2.6 RPG, 3.6 APG)

Factors off the Bench
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    <font size="1">(Kwame Brown, Jumaine Jones)</font>

Game MVPs
    [​IMG]

WIZARDS - <font color="blue">Gilbert Arenas</font>
    Predicted Stats: 25 points, 4 rebounds, 10 assists

LAKERS - <font color="purple">Kobe Bryant</font>
    Predicted Stats: 27 points, 8 rebounds, 10 assists</div>

Brandon's Analysis
    Gilbert Arenas is simply going to take Chucky Atkins to school in this game, no doubt about it. The Lakers are going to have to shut down the paint and prevent Arenas from penetrating, or Hughes and Co. will have open shots all night long.

The Lakers are going to have to halt the scoring distribution that the Wizards bring to the table every game; otherwise, Los Angeles may find themselves running out of steam trying to defend everyone with a hot hand. The Wizards are very well capable of putting 6 players in double figures against any team they play against. However, let's not disregard the Lakers' great ball distribution last night against the Kings, who were shot out of ARCO by the third quarter with everyone contributing to the win.

An important matchup tonight will be Odom and Jamison. Offensively, Odom needs to drive the lane and take it up strong like he did against Webber last night, but keeping in mind that Jamison has a mobility advantage over C-Webb...so attempting to get to the line should be on Odom's mind at all times. Defensively, he needs to keep his hands up and contest every single shot by Jamison, while keeping him off the glass for second chance points.

If the Lakers pick up a lead by 5+ going into the half, they need to focus on building that lead instead of losing it in the late 3rd. If they find themselves down late in the 4th, it's not just Kobe time; he needs to get Odom into the game in the clutch, because this duo can be a tough cookie to crumble in the final minutes, if they play appropriately.

Brandon's Prediction
    The Wizards are attempting to regain control in the East, as Miami and Orlando are fighting for their division against Washington...so look for the Wiz to come out strong and ambitious. The Lakers are out to prove that last night was no fluke, and the extra boost of confidence will in fact keep this team cooking for a while. This should be a great game...but the Lakers will pull away in the 4th and win it, 94-86.

5. theclown1

theclown1 JBB JustBBall Member

After the win against the Kings, the Lakers are feeling really good so this is gonna be a great game. Will hope to see another good shooting night from Brian Cook.
    Hope Kobe gives alot of assisent on this.

I think we will come out strong and take this by at least 10.
    Like I said in the preview against the Kings. I have faith in my team so here is another win for us.

Go Lakers

6. Mamba

NOTE: Wizards will be wearing their 1969-1971 Retro jerseys tonight as for the following games:

Monday, December 20
    Washington at Golden State 10:30 PM

Tuesday, January 18
    Washington at Dallas 8:30 PM

Saturday, January 22
    Washington at Indiana 8:00 PM

Saturday, January 29
    Orlando at Washington 7:00 PM (60s Retro Night)

Sunday, February 27
    Sacramento at Washington 6:00 PM (70s Retro Night)

Friday, March 4
    Golden State at Washington 7:00 PM (80s Retro Night)

Tuesday, March 22
    Washington at Denver 9:00 PM

Wednesday, April 6
    Washington at Detroit 7:30 PM

Does anyone think Kwame will pull out the fro for tonights game?

7. 50

50 JBB JustBBall Member

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I think that the Lakers are going to win by 10. Kobe will have 27points and Mihm will have 9 rebs. Key Factors.</font>

8. stephenasmith

stephenasmith JBB JustBBall Member

i expect that the Washington Wizards take over early and never look back. Wizards will win this game.. trust me

9. Mamba

Slipped my mind, Gilbert Arenas' homecoming...

10. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

Wizards off to a good start. 10-4 right now.

11. S.Livingston14

S.Livingston14 JBB JustBBall Member

I think Kobe will take it to Larry, he will break him down off the dribble, he will hit numerous pull up jumpers in his face, and he will make pass after pass. I don't even really have to say anything to let you guys know my displeasure with Jeffries being re-inserted in the starting lineup. I think it will be great to watch Lamar face off against Jamison. They are both 3's playing the 4 position. The Lake Show looks better than us on paper, but I think the Wizards heart, and Lakers lack there of will show, and the Wizards will squeek by, and improve to 13-8.

12. Mamba

Jamison needs to learn to D up.

Jared Jeffries...why are you in teh league?

Larry Hughes is having an awesome night, shooting the ball a little much maybe, but they are dropping.

Gilbert Arenas is destined for something amazing in this league, so quick and so good..and still so young, he is younger than Dwyane Wade if im not mistaken.

Kwame should of been given the ball some more in the post when he was in, the Wizards had no bigs in there that could stop him.

So far its a good game, 54-54 at half, I think the Wiz will pull this one out just because the Lakers are playing bad D and letting the Wizards get to the hoop like its a foul not to let them get to the hope.

13. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

Wizards win!!! First win in L.A. in 12 years. Antawn Jamison, Larry Hughes, and Arenas all scored 20+ once again. Anthony Peeler saved us with the 3 pointer, :thumbsup:. I'm soo happy. [​IMG]

14. Mamba

This is great my two fav teams going at it (this post will have both Wizards and Laker POV's because I will be posting this in the Wizards game thread also):

Wow...Arenas...what a game infront of his hometown crowd. He game in and dominated the Lakers, getting in the paint at will. He is going to be a superstar in this league..he is so quick, so good, and so young.

Kobe..wow...what a game, just amazing...I dare the haters to say he doesnt get his team involved and isnt a team leader...he complained a little too much though to the refs in overtime. He wanted fouls called, but there were no fouls. He played a great game and hit a big shot in OT, unfortunately the Lakers just fell on the wrong side of the line. He had an amazing game, his 4th triple double of the year and 13th of the season.

Kwame Brown looked ok tonight, but he is only about 60%..so its understandable. He should of got the ball a lot in the 2nd half when Brian Cook was the only big man the Lakers had in. I believe Kwame would of dominated him, no?

Michael Ruffin? Why was he in the game during the 4th for the Wizards..He was good in the preseason, but has done nothing this year. He, along with Jarvis Hayes, held the Wizards back in the 4th IMO. Both have struggled horribly on offense and Hayes is arguably our worse defender.

Larry Hughes had arguably his best game of the season. He was having his way with the Lakers in the first half and just palyed a great game. Had a big shot to open up overtime and the Wizards just fed off of that.

Lamar Odom really fell off during the second half. He opened the game strong against the pitiful D of Jamison, and well...the Lakers went away from him and...he disappeared.

Chucky Atkins hit some big 3's and easily had his best game as a Laker on the offensive end, but on the D side of things, he got eaten up alive by Gilbert Arenas.

Brian Cook also dissapeared for the Lakers, he started 3-3 from the 3 pt line, but then went away and that really hurt the Lakers.

Anthony Peeler- He was licking his chops on that last shot, he was just waiting for Hughes to get him the ball and he made good with it. What a shot and a nice addition by the Wiz.

And one final note. The Wizards played great D in overtime forcing the Lakers to take some bad shots and forcing Kobe to shoot an airball with the shot clock running out.

Oh yea, the real final note...the Wizards should go to Gilbert Arenas in crunch time, not Antawn Jamison. He has not been what we thought he would be for us, he is shooting perimeter shots..not posting like we wanted him to. In crunch time, he rushes his shots, he throws away the ball, and just makes stupid decisions...that is why he will never be a superstar and be able to lead a team all by himself in this leauge.

Final Score (first win for the Wiz/Bullets in L.A. in 12 years)
    Wizards- 120
    Lakers- 116

15. Miami's Finest

Miami's Finest JBB JustBBall Member

I knew this game was gonna be real close. Great win for the Wiz. Tough loss for the Lakers after playing a good game but their TOs got the best of them.

16. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Gilbert Arenas is destined for something amazing in this league, so quick and so good..and still so young, he is younger than Dwyane Wade if im not mistaken.</div>
    6 months older actually, but they're born in the same year.

Great game, our schedule has been pretty easy so far, so a win on the road against the Lakers is a good thing. Going to have to download this one.

17. Mamba

Hey og15 can you make the game preview for tomorrow night? I have to go pick up some relatives at the airport and I think I will be short on time...

18. S.Livingston14

S.Livingston14 JBB JustBBall Member

Those jerseys were so hot, that's all I was paying attention to really for the first quarter. They reminded me of the trio's old days in Golden State. Kobe Bryant took it to us as I called. Unlike you Kobe, I do believe that Jeffries should be in the league.... as a janitor that is. [​IMG] . We scored 58 points in the paint, to the Lakers 32 points. Larry Hughes could use some work on his touch from the free throw line. He is shooting 75 percent, and if he worked on it, he could be shooting between 80, and 85 percent. I don't know if you guys noticed this, but we had no guy with over one turnover last night. And the team had only six over all. I think that's amazing IMO.
    Hey kobe if og15 hasn't already made one, I'm sure I can. I have a lot of time today. Actually I'll get started right now just for fun.

19. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Lol, I know this is Off-topic, but doesn't Brendan Haywood look stoned in his picture? [​IMG]

20. FFSBasketball

FFSBasketball JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">Michael Ruffin? Why was he in the game during the 4th for the Wizards..He was good in the preseason, but has done nothing this year. He, along with Jarvis Hayes, held the Wizards back in the 4th IMO. Both have struggled horribly on offense and Hayes is arguably our worse defender.</div>I know this is just a small point, but during the Heat game, in crunch time he had 2 big offensive boards and a couple blocks. So he does contribute big time at some points, it's too bad he didn't when you were watching. He needs more fans. [​IMG]