Game Thread Washington @ Oregon, 4pm Fox / California @ Oregon St, 6pm Pac 12

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Nov 12, 2022.

1. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Another season, another bad, needless loss to ruin it. I refuse to watch the Utah game.

Also, wasn't our new coach supposed to be some kind of defensive genius?

2. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Oh straight up awful

Phatguysrule likes this.
  3. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I'm a Duck fan, but never went to U of O. But the thing i hate most about the Playoff System, is it seriously has depreciated the Bowl Game as something to look forward to. Today is a huge buzzkill because the Ducks playoff hopes died today. Sure they can still get to a decent bowl, but Bowls have become Ho Hum. It's kinda like Blazers fans who feel like making the playoffs is , whooped dee do. Make it to the Finals , then talk to me. Well i'm that way with college football, maybe because i'm not as vested as i am with the Blazers. But the football season just got a lot less interesting. Maybe next year.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  4. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

That being said, i still want the Ducks to win out, and hopefully get into the Pac 12 Championship game, and throttle the USC Condoms.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Honestly dude, after watching our defense play today, we don't belong in the playoff. We would have gotten embarrassed. It would have been Georgia all over again.

This defense needs a LOT of work. We're not getting great pressure on the QB. Our secondary is getting burned at will. Defense needs to be a massive priority for next season. The offense was great..... but Bo won't be back next year. The future looks a little murky.

AldoTrapani and oldmangrouch like this.
  6. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I mean I agreed with everything until the last sentence. The future murky? A top 10 recruiting class and the #2 overall QB? A lot of pieces that can translate

TBpup likes this.
  7. oldmangrouch

It would be a lot less discouraging if we could at least look at the D and see some improvement over the course of the season.

8. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

The thread title says California @ Oregon State also

Guess what? Oregon State won again!

Go Beavers!

9. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Go Beavs!

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  10. BassPlaya

BassPlaya Puntificator

Shop Owner
    Beavs! Can't wait for the Civil War.

11. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I think Lanning will need to take a serious and hard look at the job Tosh Lupoi has done....and the jobs he hasn't done.

Last year's defense wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. The only change on the DLine was the loss of Thibideaux. Yeah that was a big loss but the Ducks shouldn't have gone from consistent pressure on the QB to no pressure at all. All the LB's have returned and Flowe has been relatively healthy. In the secondary, the Ducks lost a CB in Mychal Wright, and a safety in Verone Mckinley. But they replaced Wright with Christian Gonzalez (notice how you didn't hear Gonzo's name once last night? UW didn't pass his direction a single time because they didn't have to). And Bennett Williams was injured most of last year and has been healthy this season

in other words, the Ducks went from Thibideaux to DJ Johnson; from Wright to Gonzalez; from Mckinley to Addison/Stephens...and that made them go from competent to disaster....? The debatable and small talent differential doesn't explain away the absolute collapse of the defense. The only explanation sure seems to reside in the office of Lupoi

oldmangrouch likes this.
  12. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    Whoever said last week that the Ducks would lose at least 3 more times before the end of the season must have a :crystalball:

13. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Beavs back in at #25!

Fairly-Hard, tlongII and BassPlaya like this.
  14. oldmangrouch

Hard to believe they will beat Utah. Then there is the small matter of the uncivil war game and a Beaver team that smells blood in the water. Honestly, it is rather depressing.

Haakzilla likes this.
  15. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

We don't have a clear starter at QB next season. To me that's murky.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  16. wizenheimer

didn't have one last off-season either

I think that the transfer portal will be filled with lots of good QB's every year. NIL is going to supercharge the migration because if a team doesn't have a good QB it has no chance at an elite season

17. BassPlaya

BassPlaya Puntificator

Shop Owner
    Ducks offense is impressive. The Beavers defense is impressive. With the Ducks facing a tough Ute's team, they better right the ship or.............

End of Season 2020 - Loss, Loss, Win, Loss
    End of Season 2021 - Loss, Win, Loss, Loss
    End of Season 2022 - Win, Loss, ? , ?

oldmangrouch likes this.
  18. oldmangrouch

Not murky at all. They either find another transfer, or the offense goes down in flames.

What shouldn't be murky - bringing in a new DC!

19. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Reminds me of when Mariota left, and rather than hand things over to Lockie, we brought in Adams, and did pretty well with him at the helm, but still didn't have a viable succession plan, and then brought in Dakota Prukop the next year, which was a disaster.

20. wizenheimer

Prukop wasn't a great QB, probably not much above average. He did have a 66% completion rate and a QB rating over 150 as a Duck. He wasn't a disaster, but the team was. Of course, the Ducks had true freshman Justin Herbert behind him and mad the switch mid-season. That was the season that got Helfrich fired, and a big reason for that was his decision to hire Brady Hoke as the defensive coordinator. Now that was a disaster

compare this year's shitty Tosh Lupoi defense to Hoke's defense:

opponent points/game: Hoke 41.4....Lupoi 27.4
    opponent yards/game: Hoke 518.4....Lupoi 397.9
    opponent average yards/play: 6.41....Lupoi 6.07

BUT!

opponent passing yards/game: Hoke 271.9....Lupoi 289.7
    opponent average yards/play: Hoke 7.3....Lupoi 7.6

and the biggie:

opponent 3rd down conversion rate: Hoke 48.47% (ranked 122nd)....Lupoi 48.51% (ranked 128th)

that 3rd down conversion rate has been what is absolutely killing Oregon and it sure did against the Huskies. Lupoi is trying to run a version of bend-but-don't-break defense. A defense that stiffens in the red zone. They have done a good job of that as they rank 36th in opponent red zone conversion rate (but only 51st in opponent red zone TD rate)

but an integral component of a defense is getting off of the field when you have the opponent behind the chains, and the Ducks have been terrible at that, and the root of the problem is their pass defense. The more plays you allow your opponent to run, the higher the odds of giving up a big play. The Ducks have given up 112 passes of more than 10 yards and that ranks 112th. And that's a lot of 3rd down conversions right there. They rank 78th in passing plays of 30+ yards; 9oth in 40+ yards; 120th in 50+ yards; and 122nd in 60+ yards.....geeeezuz H

Oregon had been able to dodge the defensive issues because their offense has been so dominating and mistake free. Other than the WSU game, Oreon had not been in a tight game in the 2nd half. But it was almost like they were saving up all their offensive mistakes for the husky game. And those mistakes coupled with the dismal pass defense did them in

by the way, I was told yesterday there's only about a 50-50 chance Bo will be able to play next Saturday. And if he does play he'll likely be pretty immobile. Yikes! If it's Ty Thompson vs Utah it will get ugly in a hurry

anyway, assuming Oregon can hold onto Dante Moore (the NIL auction is still going on according to rumor) it's probably a wise move to bring in a transfer rather than put all the faith in a true freshman QB

oldmangrouch likes this.