Wasting another year of Lillard's Prime

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by chris_in_pdx, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

What's wrong with A & B? Who the hell is C & X? You need to post a new thread so I can drag our letter drama into it!

dviss1, BonesJones and Orion Bailey like this.
  2. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    There are probably 25 other teams that feel the same way as Portland. If a few millionaires not wanting to live in this beautiful city bugs you out, then have a Pepsi and chill the fuck out. Besides, people in town define themselves by how unbelievably hip they look sitting at the bar (one that isn't reviewed on Yelp BTW) while reading copies of Infinite Jest, not some fucking basketball team!

P.S. Dame isn't being wasted on anything.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    dviss1, BonesJones and Natebishop3 like this.
  3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

There's a lot of really good players in NBA history who "wasted their primes" because they couldn't get past the Michael Jordan's and the Magic Johnson's and the Larry Bird's etc etc etc. It sucks, but as great as Dame is, he's not the best point guard in the league. He's not the second best point guard in the league. Maybe he will be some day, but you have to look at a guy like Chris Paul, who was undeniably the best point guard in the league for a while there, and that dude has never had any playoff success. It's so hard to win things in the NBA, and unfortunately you typically have to have a generational star to win, AND you need a supporting cast of stars around them as well (these days. )

HailBlazers and BonesJones like this.
  4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

In fairness to the OP, it's unfair to ask someone to be patient after the same thing year after year.

5. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    He's got $$$,nice car, house to stay warm and happy in. After 5 years here he can retire in Hawaii with $$$,nice car and house. This is not purgatory!

6. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

There was no part of his post that actually got is talking about basketball.

Posters D-Z are annoyed by poster Cs thread. I guess you're poster B.

7. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

For some things, sure. For a sport, no.

8. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

That's the mentality of a small market team fan if i've ever seen one.

9. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Nah, it's a mentality of people who prioritize differently because there are more important things in life to "rush" about.

10. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

We should all strive to be more like you.

That doesn't change the fact how tiresome it gets waiting and waiting for a team that has a legit chance to win.

11. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    It takes years to build a champion. Michael Jordan's first championship came in his seventh season.

I agree with those who point to our youth and upside, the contract extensions tying up the key players, and how the super teams are aging.

I believe in NO because of what I've seen from him. If there's a chance to snag a superstar, he won't be afraid to pull the trigger. He knows the CBA inside and out, or at least has someone who advises him who does. He'll make the most of what's available to us.

12. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Part of me wonders what it would've taken to get Anthony, and if in the long run, it would have actually been a championship contending team.

Before I worry about wasting another year of Damians prime, I want to see how Nurkic plays this year. I think it's his contract year so he might go balls to the wall and have a really good year. It could also be a year where he gets hurt early and they struggle without him. Or it could be a year where teams now know to prepare for him.

Anthony might have been nice as it would have given the team a big 4, but I think it would've given them a small 5-12.

The team obviously needs to get better talent or have talent show up unexpectedly. Collins, Caleb and Maurice are the candidates for that to happen, maybe even Leonard. This teams biggest isn't isn't the offense, it's the defense. And I'm not sure adding Anthony would've resolved that.

I don't think that Anthony would've lead this team to a title, maybe a 2nd round playoff series. But I also don't think he would've stayed here, nor do I think at 32 or 33, would he be worth re-signing for as much as I'm sure he'll want.

I understand and respect the frustration that stems from being a Blazer fan and always thinking/feeling like we get the short end of the stick. But you never know what will happen.

Did anyone, honestly, think Damian would be as good as he is? Or CJ? We don't know how Caleb or Zach will pan out. They could be a vital cog on the team sooner, or they could be another wasted pick. Since I wasn't expecting the team to compete for a title this year (even with Anthony), I'll just enjoy the (hopeful) growth of Caleb and Zach.

BBert and SIeepwalker like this.
  13. ripcityboy

self employed
    Just my own two cents but I really don't see Dame and CJ ever truly competing for a title. The Warriors Dynasty will be ending around the time that both of those guys are probably around their early thirties. And then their will probably be another potential dynasty on tap. But this team should be shooting for a WC Final appearence. I think that would be a major accomplishment for the organization.

14. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    mid 30's?

There is no chance that the Warriors will still be a "dynasty" for another 8 years.

15. ripcityboy

self employed
    Well I could easily see GS being one of the top two teams till Dame is around 32. Make that about five years where they are competative and a threat in the playoffs. And those would still be the best years of Dame' s career. I still like our ceiling as the WCF if everything breaks right. Would be as far as weve gone since, what '00?

16. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Getting Anthony wouldn't have significantly altered this team's fortunes . . . Paul George on the other hand? That could have been a pretty big deal, given his skillset and how he would have fit in. Alas we'll never know.

So while I understand the frustration of the OP and I also hope for more dramatic, "fence swinging" moves to shake this team off of the mushy-middle treadmill they appear to be on, I just don't see the pieces to make those moves -- this is not a loaded roster, and it's a very expensive roster, which makes it even more unappealing to trade partners (especially when the only players worth having are off the table).

At this point we should probably just be happy they were able to ditch Crabbe; god willing Leonar_ can be moved too, and the youngsters like Collins and Swanigan prove to be difference makers. Outside of that? I think what you see is sort of what you get, minus getting lucky in the middle of the draft.

BonesJones likes this.
  17. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Summer of 2019 both Klay and Durant will be UFAs. Not likely the Warriors will be able to retain both.

BonesJones likes this.
  18. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Great post

19. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    We have a chance to be much better than most of you think. We have all the ingredients for a 55+ win team in my opinion. We will need some breaks, but you can say that about every team.

BonesJones and SIeepwalker like this.
  20. ripcityboy

self employed
    I got an idea. Why don't we just hope that Biggie and Collins become All Stars. Meanwhile, just put your hand in front of your face whenever New Meyers comes on.

BonesJones and Wizard Mentor like this.