We have too many bigs

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Here's something we can all agree on: we have too many Meyers Leonards.

theprunetang likes this.
  2. masieo

masieo Member

I thought you were ( rightfully) poking fun at boy racer types at first because that Hyundai doesn't come out till sometime in 2018. Glad you enjoy your car, I liked the way the Gti looked before it went 4 door only.

3. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Shawn Kemp and Jermaine O'Neal were never teammates.

And, ironically it was bringing back Rod Stickland that caused that team to go into a tailspin. Look it up. They were the No.1 seed in the West and hadn't lost more than two games in a row all season when they brought back Rod in early Mach. They promptly lost 5 in a row and 14 of their last 22 and fell from the No. 1 seed to the 7 seed and got swept by the Lakers in the first round.

Their downfall had nothing to do with having too many bigs. It was having too many PGs (Damon, Greg Anthony, and Strickland) and wings (Bonzie, Smitty, Pippen, Augmon and Schrempf), who all thought they deserved more minutes and a bigger role, that killed the team's chemistry.

If any thing, that team also had too few bigs. They lost Kemp in April to rehab, and went into that series against Shaq and the Lakers with just Sabas, Sheed and Dale Davis as their only rotation big men left on the roster.

BNM

BlazerCaravan and BBert like this.
  4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story, man!!

Boob-No-More likes this.
  5. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Fine! So my memory is shot to shit. Let's look up what really happened:
    Oh yeah, that's right: the Grant-Kemp trade and the Jermaine-Dale Davis trade happened in the SAME OFFSEASON. So basically Trader Bob could have NOT done the Davis trade AND let Grant go. So my point stands and you're just quibbling.

As to whether or not it was Strickland's fault? I don't give a shit. We should've kept O'Neal and let Grant go, and the reason we didn't was because Trader Bob, like you, didn't give a shit about chemistry and just wanted to stack bodies like cordwood.

6. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Re: Zach Collins or Harkless at the 4.
    Background conditions: it's a PLAYOFF SERIES against THE WARRIORS in 2018.
    I think Zach Collins is going to be good. But he's not going to be good this season. In a playoff series you can't afford players who don't fully know what they're doing. Also: Warriors = smallball. So yes, if we have the playoff series that we just had again next year, our extra depth won't mean jack shit. If, on the other hand, we turn some of those extra bigs (for preference: Leonard and/or Vonleh and/or Ed, but I'd throw in Swanigan and/or Collins if the return was good enough) for an ACTUALLY SOLIDLY GOOD NBA player (could be a big, because if we get rid of that many bigs we'll be short, but ideally it's a solid 2-way player because god knows we need better defense, and if it was Batum that would be fucking awesome) then we'd be actually better. We'd still get trampled by the Warriors, because THEY'RE PROBABLY THE BEST TEAM IN NBA HISTORY, but hey, maybe we'd take one game to overtime.

7. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Should have never traded Nico.

theprunetang and BBert like this.
  8. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Now you're just attacking me and making shit up. When have I ever sad I don't give a shit about chemistry? The Whitsitt apologists consider me a Whitsitt hater, and for good reason. My username for years, TraderBoob, was a dig at Whitsitt and the way he destroyed that 2000 team by overreacting and making too many trades and bringing in too many players that had a sense of entitlement.

That is not even close to our current roster situation. We have a bunch of young bigs that all have a chance to earn a role on this team - not a bunch of over the hill veterans with a sense of entitlement that think just because they had started elsewhere in the past, they deserved to start here as well.

Not even close to the same situation. If you can't see the fundamental differences between the two situations, there is no point in discussing this any further.

BNM

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  9. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Not sure a guy who is shooting 40% from the floor is worth being upset he was traded. Granted, who they traded him for hasn't done shit, but it's not like Nicolas Batum is lighting up the league.

10. THE HCP

His game would help this team without him scoring. He can run the offense and let Dame play off the ball. And I can tell you he and Burek would work perfectly in a pick n roll situation. #FACTS

BBert likes this.
  11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Last I checked there wasn't a person with that name on the roster. I did see a Leopold "Butters" Stotch.

12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Like we can afford him?

13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I still miss Batum. He'd be a perfect fit in our lineup. I don't care about his inconsistent play, at least he has brilliant moments where he takes over a game on both ends. Can't say that about Vonleh.

BBert likes this.
  14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I say this as someone that's been on the Melo train from the beginning; I'd take Batum over him without question.

15. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Dude your starting to act like a regular fan who makes everyone seems untouchable.

16. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    It was the g80 5.0.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  17. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Burek really needs to step up this year. I can't remember the last time I saw Burek do anything. Not to mention playing basketball, I haven't even seen Burek breath, or exist. Step up your Game.

THE HCP and PtldPlatypus like this.
  18. THE HCP

HA! How about that? I have a co-worker and thats his last name. iPad must have liked his name better than Nurk!

theprunetang likes this.
  19. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Who knows if Batum would have stayed (he said he loves Portland - but that's just talk), and how much it would have cost to keep him. Could have walked out just like LMA did and the Blazers would have been left with nothing.

I really like Batum, always did - but I think it was about time for him to go - Batum says he is happy in Charlotte because he is their 1B ball handler - for this to happen here - CJ's game might have had to be curtailed and he might have not broken through. I know Evan Turner had a bad year - but I still believe that if he is healthy he can give you 80% of Batum's performance for 66% of the price.

20. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    sure, I'd be glad to have Batum; can we trade him straight up for Turner?