Webber Likely to Sign with Detroit

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by Combs, Jan 10, 2007.

1. iversonfan268

iversonfan268 BBW VIP

For god sakes! Will you guys pay more attention to what I'm typing because you keep say I'm saying things that I'm not. I'm not trying to convince you guys that he's not the quality player off the bench you guys think he will become for you. What do you guys find about attractive about a guy that's injury prone, one dimensional on offense, and doesn't evn bother on defense? Whatever I'm tired of you guys thinking you know Webber so well when obviously none of you have watched him carefully since he's had the surgery. You guys have nothing to base your opinions off of other than how he looks on paper and how he played in his Sactown days. I on the other hand have watched Webber a lot since he got back from the surgery and know how he plays now. I'm tired of debating this with you guys though and just listening to you guys blame every one of Webbers problems on Philadelphia especially when none of you have watched him play much to evaluate how he plays. I'll come back to this thread in a month to have my last laugh though.

2. detroit03

detroit03 BBW Member

why does this continue...why are you so concerned of what hes going to do to our team...if he was such a bad player and wasnt productive, than you should count your blessings billy king and the sixers bought him out, and than detroit picked up the remains of what is left of his career....he is no longer yours and phillys problem anymore...I guess we will pass judgement on what he does for us when the season is over....if a championship calibre GM thinks its worth the prorated 450000 dollars we are going to pay him is worth the risk, I guess we can trust him...dont worry about it anymore man...move on to all the good things this buy out does for your team

3. iversonfan268

iversonfan268 BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (detroit03 @ Jan 15 2007, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>why does this continue...why are you so concerned of what hes going to do to our team...if he was such a bad player and wasnt productive, than you should count your blessings billy king and the sixers bought him out, and than detroit picked up the remains of what is left of his career....he is no longer yours and phillys problem anymore...I guess we will pass judgement on what he does for us when the season is over....if a championship calibre GM thinks its worth the prorated 450000 dollars we are going to pay him is worth the risk, I guess we can trust him...dont worry about it anymore man...move on to all the good things this buy out does for your team</div>I have been thrilled that we got rid of Webber. I'm just trying to get you guys figure out what type of player he is now but like is said in my last post I'll just let you pistons fan figure it out by watching him in a Pistons uniform.

4. detroit03

detroit03 BBW Member

I guess all we are hoping is that he brings more on the court when hes in detroit than he did in philly...as a fan im excited that our GM is at least pursuing pieces to replace the departure of ben wallace...that really stung us, and now we are left to find an answer to that departure...and at a mere 450000 dollars, why not

5. Combs

Combs BBW Root *****

The guy has played in 18 games this season with nagging injuries. I think I am willing to throw out the 18 games this year and use the 761 games he player previously to judge his talent. I'm sorry if that makes me crazy. If Webber can have a bad season like you are saying he had last season and still average 20 and 10..I can't wait to see what he does when he has a good season here.What am I expecting from him? Probably 30 Minutes a game. 14.7ppg and 7 rebounds. But more importantly a 5th scoring option in the playoffs when we play Miami..which we have not had before.

6. iversonfan268

iversonfan268 BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Combs @ Jan 15 2007, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The guy has played in 18 games this season with nagging injuries. I think I am willing to throw out the 18 games this year and use the 761 games he player previously to judge his talent. I'm sorry if that makes me crazy. If Webber can have a bad season like you are saying he had last season and still average 20 and 10..I can't wait to see what he does when he has a good season here.What am I expecting from him? Probably 30 Minutes a game. 14.7ppg and 7 rebounds. But more importantly a 5th scoring option in the playoffs when we play Miami..which we have not had before.</div>It's not that he got 20 and 10 last season but how. Webber averaged 20 shots a game last season and probably 16 of those shots came from the elbow. probably an average of 2 more came from Iverson finding Webber wide open for an easy dunk. The guy still only shot only 43% from the field. So if you don't mind Webber just sitting at the elbow all day and not bothering on defense(which I know won't be as big of a deal on a team that can cover it up) then you probably won't mind him.

7. Pistonfan11

Pistonfan11 BBW Elite Member

You guys all think we are stupid for trying to be optimistic, and for believing that he an still play, which he can. He doesn't have the expectations he had in Philly to be the second man, and coming into Detroit he could be the 5th or 6th option. All we need Webber to do is be a good role player, and to provide some scoring from the bench. With that the Pistons become a better team, and if you don't think Webber can be a role player and provide some scoring, then I guess I will believe it when I see it.

8. PN13

PN13 BBW Member

He's signing today sometime. with him here, and with all of the roster together, I think the rotation will go something like this(first 5 are starters, of course)*D-League, most likelyPG Billups>Hunter>Blalock*SG Hamilton>Murray>DupreeSF Prince>Delfino>Johnson* PF Webber>McDyess>MaxiellC Wallace>Mohammed>Davisbut the only thing is that we will still have 13 active players and we need to lose one.who will it be? and what number will C-Webb wear? since Dumars #4 is retired. I remember when he went to Philly, he made Andre Igoudala change his number to 9.Webber will bring a lot of things to the table in a Pistons uni. He'll get less than 20 shots a game, but he'll still get open opportunities from everybody and his good passing ability will get other guys shots too.and he should also be able to play solid D.I think that he is the last peice of the puzzle for us to get over the hill and win a title. yep, I said it. theres no reason why we shouldnt win it all this year. but you could say the same about Phoenix, Dallas, and San Antonio too. over in the West its gonna be a dogfight. but over in the East, the Pistons should be able to get into gear now with Billups back and with Webber joining the team.

9. arnob_detroitbasketball

arnob_detroitbasketball BBW Member

Webber is wearing number 84.

10. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arnob_detroitbasketball @ Jan 16 2007, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Webber is wearing number 84.</div>
    [​IMG]

I have already voiced my opinion on Webber coming to Detroit, before it happened, and I still don't think it really was the right move for the Pistons. Great for Webber, he has a chance to get to the Eastern Conference Finals, and maybe the Championship. Plus he's home. But for Detroit, I don't think it's the right move. Webber ruins the entire flow of the offense, and that's not something Detroit's offense needs. Maybe he'll change his mindset because he says he wants to win, maybe he'll take a hit in his touches, maybe he'll work within the flow of the offense with Chauncey/Rip/Sheed/Tayshaun. Maybe. I think he'll start off like that, but eventually he'll want more touches, and I don't see him becoming a post player. He's still going to take a ton of mid-range shots with his ugly looking jumper, and he'll continue to shoot a low percentage from there. He's still a talented man, however, and I do like him. I was a BIG fan of Webber in his Sacramento days. I just hope he realizes those days are over.

11. Mobruler

Mobruler BBW VIP

In honor of the year of the birth of the greatest person to ever grace BBW with his presence! Mobruler!

12. P.R.M.S.

P.R.M.S. BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mobruler @ Jan 16 2007, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>In honor of the year of the birth of the greatest person to ever grace BBW with his presence! Mobruler!</div>Ha. I'm sure that's exactly why he chose it.

13. nykfan4life

nykfan4life BBW Elite Member

does webber think he's playing for the lions? sh*t he's not a wide receiver, he's a power forward. why's he #84?

14. ReppinTheD

ReppinTheD BBW VIP

He got 84 because his nephew dreamed that Webber was wearing 84 and they won that basketball game so he decided to take it. He was thinkin of taking 44 - but his nephew changed his mind.

15. nykfan4life

damn 84 tho? that's such a whack number in basketball.

16. P.R.M.S.

P.R.M.S. BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nykfan4life @ Jan 17 2007, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>damn 84 tho? that's such a whack number in basketball.</div>It may be a whack number to you, but it's not about the jersey number, it's about the player in the jersey and how they play. Look at the number of people who wear number 3, they aren't good because the number 3 has some type of magical power... And if Ron Artest can wear 93... Chris Webber can wear 84.

17. nykfan4life

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (P.R.M.S. @ Jan 17 2007, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It may be a whack number to you, but it's not about the jersey number, it's about the player in the jersey and how they play. Look at the number of people who wear number 3, they aren't good because the number 3 has some type of magical power... And if Ron Artest can wear 93... Chris Webber can wear 84.</div>Yeah I know it's just weird because most basketball numbers are 55 and lower and I don't recall anyone ever having a number in the 80's.

18. detroit03

detroit03 BBW Member

I think it just represents sentimental reasons to him...I mean at this point in his career, im sure he doesn't care, other than to make his nephew feel special...not a big deal really, other than it was important to C-Webb

19. iversonfan268

iversonfan268 BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PN13 @ Jan 16 2007, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He's signing today sometime. with him here, and with all of the roster together, I think the rotation will go something like this(first 5 are starters, of course)*D-League, most likelyPG Billups>Hunter>Blalock*SG Hamilton>Murray>DupreeSF Prince>Delfino>Johnson* PF Webber>McDyess>MaxiellC Wallace>Mohammed>Davisbut the only thing is that we will still have 13 active players and we need to lose one.who will it be? and what number will C-Webb wear? since Dumars #4 is retired. I remember when he went to Philly, he made Andre Igoudala change his number to 9.Webber will bring a lot of things to the table in a Pistons uni. He'll get less than 20 shots a game, but he'll still get open opportunities from everybody and his good passing ability will get other guys shots too.and he should also be able to play solid D.I think that he is the last peice of the puzzle for us to get over the hill and win a title. yep, I said it. theres no reason why we shouldnt win it all this year. but you could say the same about Phoenix, Dallas, and San Antonio too. over in the West its gonna be a dogfight. but over in the East, the Pistons should be able to get into gear now with Billups back and with Webber joining the team.</div>nvm thats actually my new nomination for funniest post of '07 :HAHAHA:

20. detroit03

detroit03 BBW Member

wow, dude you really got to move on and quit worrying about C-Webb's future with the pistons...obviously basketball people like Joe D and the coaching staff know a little more than you, or else we would have heard how Joe D asked this really great iversonfan in Cali whether he should spend the money...wait that didnt happen because Joe D KNOWS basketball opposed to you and your opinion of basketball...stay a fan of the game and let the real people handle the business and personnel end of it...Would someone please close this thread!!!!