Weird trade by the Celtics..

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by mike18946, Feb 20, 2003.

1. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

yes....by and large, boston fans are not concerned with the celtics. you hear bitching and moaning from certain celtic fans who do exist. i wont lie the celtics have a great following but booston is a baseball town and some would argue that race has something to with that with the celtics now in contention again and the red sox a perrenial dissapointment, but yes thihs is off topic.....uh..........what were we tlaking about again?

2. Big D

Big D JBB JustBBall Member

Why would they be cheering on Pedro and Nomar then? That is all.

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "Big D":</div><div class="quote_post">Why would they be cheering on Pedro and Nomar then? That is all.</div>

And Manny!

4. olskoolfunktitude

thats exactly my point. why anyone would go there whole lives cheering for the likes of manny and nomar ill never know although i think pedro is incredible. regardless of the individuals the team always does the same thing which is to fail. its a regional fascination ill never understand

5. Big D

No, you missed our points. If you're saying they're racist, then why are they cheering on Nomar, Pedro, and Manny (thanks shapecity)?

6. olskoolfunktitude

Im glad you asked. it's because the red sox also have a lot of white players and always have but its natural to cheer for the players who put up the best numbers. the red sox for such a long time were an exclusivley white ball club longer than any other club and the team has just become so popular and so important to the region that bostonians might cheer saddam hussane if he came to the red sox and put up decent numbers. but clearly the sox are a perrenial disapointment and the celtics are much closer to being a championship contender finally but I dont think they will be embraced by the region like the red sox unless they have some white players. its pretrty sad, bostons a great city but i make a good point

7. Shapecity

you make a HORRIBLE point...

do you live in Boston or something to call them racist fans? do you sit alongside these fans in the Fleet Center or at Fenway Park? do you hang out at the local sports bars and pubs in Boston?

a true racist would never cheer for a different race. they will find fault in that player, whether the fault be true or not. a racist person believes his race is superior and therefore would not recognize the accomplishments of another race. they would call it a fluke or luck etc.

and let's also not forget people outside of Boston also cheer for the Celtics & Redsox.

Does a team have to be a perennial winner to have fans? of course not, look at all the loyal Cubs fans. There are a lot of 'homers' out there, and the Redsox aren't as horrible as you make them out to be. They always put a contender on the field, but it's hard to beat their rival Yankees because Steinbrenner wants to win at all costs.

8. Big D

Your arguments make me tired, olskool. I'm gonna go take a nap.

9. olskoolfunktitude

it is a horrible point if you blow it out of proportion like you did. Im not saying that everyone in boston is a pure racist. nor am i saying its a racist city. i just think that there is still some of it in the blood. boston has a comparitivley small black population to other cities and boston doesnt have the most impressive civil rights record and no i dont live in boston but ive spent significant time there as i have in several cities. i worked at a bar in boston for crissakes. when they do tlak about the celts they reminice about bird. they also had a tendancy to make a lot of racial slurs and jokes. i dont thnk theyre all bigots but i think a small degree of that is still in the culture in the subcoincious and i think its a fair speculation that that keeps people from embracing these celtics

10. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "Big D":</div><div class="quote_post">Your arguments make me tired, olskool. I'm gonna go take a nap.</div>

Agreed.

11. olskoolfunktitude

you guys are such jerks to me sometimes. i dont mind it. its fun. i just wish youd also be jerks to each other sometimes.

12. Big D

You're an ass, shapecity.

How's that? Don't take anything personally, olskool. But if you post something, be prepared to defend it, and have others disagree with you. Feel free to come after any of my posts at any time.

13. olskoolfunktitude

wow thanks i feel better..... :roll: .....whatever. ididnt come here to make friends.

14. Shapecity

i'm an ass :cry: ... lol come on Big D come with something harder than that.

15. Big D

Heh, I'm just warming up, #$)&%(&#%(&$#ing mother $@*_$(&%#@ piece of &*@!$)(&@$&@ing @_$(&@$$_&@$.

16. Shapecity

Big D i don't know what's worse, your disses or Big Ben's free throw %.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">you guys are such jerks to me sometimes. i dont mind it. its fun. i just wish youd also be jerks to each other sometimes.</div>

if you don't mind it then don't mention it!

17. Big D

He's dropping a red hot 42.3 of his free throws, so I'd give him some respect. [​IMG]

18. olskoolfunktitude

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "shapecity":</div><div class="quote_post">Big D i don't know what's worse, your disses or Big Ben's free throw %.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">you guys are such jerks to me sometimes. i dont mind it. its fun i guess. i just wish youd also be jerks to each other sometimes.</div>

if you don't mind it then don't mention it!</div>

just pointing it out once for the record. im not gonna make a big deal out of it

19. STING

STING JBB JustBBall Member

This really wasn't that bad of a trade.

I really liked Shammond Williams, but they will go nowhere in the playoffs without some decent front-court guys. While neither of the big men they have traded for are big, (or even medium) scorers, a big guy in the paint is never something to underestimate.

The Celtics still have a good back-court now with Pierce, Delk, and the surprisingly good Bremer, who should only get better.

I am happy with this trade, but this is in no way the Celtic's solution to their front-court issues.