Exclusive Welcome Zach Collins!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

His 1st 2 years he wasn't at all a deep shooter, his 3rd year he started shooting more that was his peak year. 4th year was the 1st year without Lamarcus and Meyers shifted to the 4.

2. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

I think we can all say that caleb has the potential to be the next zbo but what is Collins potential like. I can see pau gasol offensively with better defense

BBert and BonesJones like this.
  3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    While BNM is right that Portland hardly has an obsession with bigs who can shoot, I definitely hope Collins shoots threes well and shoots them a fair amount. If he's eventually going to play alongside Nurkic, I really don't want Portland to have crappy spacing with two bigs near the hoop. I want defenses spread to the breaking point and in constant scramble mode. A big who can shoot on the offensive end and play solid or better defense is worth his weight in gold.

4. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Collins will be able play along side Nurk. On offense Collins can have the same role as Vonleh. Settin picks and he has alot better stroke then Vonleh at the top of the key. His shot is really soft so he does get the shooter bounce plus he is very good foul shooter too. If I was Vonleh I wouldn't be half stepping coming in training camp because both these draft picks just might slide ahead of him.

RipCityDSCPL, rotary111 and Scalma like this.
  5. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

This guy, rofl.

Driew likes this.
  6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I like the pick and haven't read all 7 pages, but isn't Gonzaga in an easier conference? So his opposition is of lesser quality, thus helping to make him look better?

7. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Did well in the tourney too.

Eastoff and Orion Bailey like this.
  8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Thats true

9. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

You know for the next couple of years we are all going to be comparing Collins to Justin Jackson and Harry Giles. I think Olshey made the right decision. I'm really excited about Zach's future.

10. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

He played well against good competition in the tourney as well. It wasn't night in and night out though. What scares me more is 10 and 6 in 17 minutes a game and he's extremely foul prone.

11. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I've seen tons of comparisons (not necessarily here, just around the webs) of Collins and Meyers. Many seem to be considering this move a bust because of their feelings regarding Leonard, and their belief that the two players are comparible.

Sometimes the presumed ceiling of a player lends itself to the perception of underperformance, and subsequent criticism of a player. I think this is why many have claimed Meyers is immovable, while others maintain he has value. We want Meyers to be a certain player that he has not become, but we shouldn't place players on a pedastal of who we want them to be because often that leads to disappointment when said player doesn't find themselves meeting or exceeding those expectations.

The truth is Meyers performs certain aspects of the game with competence, but we want him to do more than he has shown the capability to do. For this reason I feel the need to taper my expectations of Collins in his first year . He has a different game than Meyers, despite the 2.0 label many have given him.

I feel like it may take some time for Collins to catch up to Leonard in certain aspects, but there are many things Collins will do out of the gate which are an improvement from what Meyers brings. And on the flip side there will be parts of his game that are not up to par with where Meyers has gotten himself after years of practicing his skills in the league.

Collins could very well end up being the well rounded player we've hoped Meyers could be, but I'm not expecting this to be the case in his rookie year.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Dougnsalem, Driew and 42N8Bounce like this.
  12. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Fuck I just realised for the first time there's a guy younger than me on the team....

That's it I'm old

Driew and Strenuus like this.
  13. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

If it takes Collins to catch up with any single part of the great white busts game, it was a shitty pick

14. SIeepwalker

He will certainly need time to polish his "looking lost" and "slow release/reaction" skills to catch up with the master.
    Also, even if he has a decently punchable face, you can't compete with Butters on that aspect of the game.

Dougnsalem and bodyman5000 and 1 like this.
  15. SIeepwalker

I have yet to see if he's good with cringy bench celebrations, but maybe this will need improvement too.

Darkwebs likes this.
  16. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

The next step is when you're older than everyone on the team.

17. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

It's not about an obsession with 3 pointers. It's about opening up space to FEED THE NURK.

18. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    1st Team All-Tournament off the bench....as a Freshman. Wonder when the last time that was done?

Pridan, dviss1, Dougnsalem and 4 others like this.
  19. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I hope this isn't just a one way partnership. Nurk shoots well outside. After Collins gets going, I would love to see them trade back and forth on who is in the post. Might create mismatch problems.

RipCityDSCPL, dviss1 and Eastoff like this.
  20. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Good interview with a guy who covers Gonzaga; explains a little more why he wasn't a starter: "There wasn't an inability to crack the starting five, solely because Przemek Karnowski was a better all-around player than Collins (and you are right--Coach Few loves his starters), and Collins was thriving in his role as first man off the bench."
    And also on whether he is NBA-ready: "He already has the range to shoot the long ball. He is fast enough to be able to run with teams that are charging up and down the court. He is versatile enough to remain on the court when the opposition goes small. He can hold his own (with a bit more muscle added as the years go) if he has to pound it down low for the entire game. He has the drive and the desire to be in the NBA for a long time."

https://www.blazersedge.com/2017/6/...nba-draft-portland-trail-blazers-gonzaga-ncaa

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Darkwebs, Pridan, SIeepwalker and 2 others like this.