Well, never though it would happen, I agree with MIXUM.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by EGame, Apr 7, 2010.

1. EGame

EGame "You're the only one of these fools I trust"

He is right on one thing, our bench is laughable. Bayless is just not cutting it. Rudy, well, I don't what is going on with him, but he looks just as bad as Bayless. Webster, well just saying his name that is all I have to say. Howard is fine, but the scary part is when he is our best scorer off the bench, you know you are in trouble (not a knock on Howard at all by the way). I wouldn't post this thread at all if this was still early in the regular season, but this is darn near playoff time and how are our starters going to carry us through the playoffs? Our bench is just as bad as the Lakers, but the Lakers have two things going for them, a better team at this point and much more experience in the playoffs. We depended on our bench so much earlier in the season and they came through for the most part. Now, they just don't even try or something. Our starters are going to be gassed after a couple games in the playoffs and just think, if by chance we did upset whoever we play, how the hell can they go for round 2?

This is disappointing to say the least.

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I have to agree. They look lost out there. There's really no direction at all. They gave up our big lead and it's scary that we're only a few games from the playoffs.

3. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

There is one brightside, the bench means a whole lot less in the playoffs than it does in the regular season.

4. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    I remember some of those old Celtics teams whereas Bird, McHale, Parrish, & Co. averaged around 44 minutes per during the playoffs.

So. :dunno:

5. EGame

Yeah, true. But it would be nice to have a guy who we can depend on scoring at least 10 or so points. Lakers have that if Odom comes form the bench/Bynum returns, Spurs have it with either Ginobli or Parker (whoever comes off the bench), Denver has it with Smith, OKC has a decent bench with Harden and Ibaka, Phoenix with Barbosa (I think?), Dallas with Terry, and Utah with Milsap. At this point we have no one with maybe the exception of Howard. Last year it was Outlaw/Rudy, this year we have no Outlaw and Rudy, well to put it nicely, sucks. It would be nice to have that one guy who we can depend on for scoring.

6. TripTango

TripTango Quick First Step

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  7. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

That's what happens when you have to trade two key reserves for a starting center.

8. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

I think it's been known for the past month+ that the bench is weak. This is nothing new, so I'm not sure if you're saying you are just noticing this or not.

9. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

You guys have been persecuting "Jesus"...all he want to do is spread his message of truth and concern

10. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Let's just hope Camby is going to be able to go. If he is hurt, the downgrade in rebounding and defense is huge.

11. EGame

Yes, it was well known for about the past month or so. But I think it was worth waiting for to see if at least one guy could break out of his slump and gain more confidence, but now with 4 games remaining, it looks very likely our bench will be doing nothing of value. Rudy is getting the most time and chance at trying to get out of this slump, but he is responding horribly. I wonder if you put Bayless behind Roy and see if he can do anything at the 2 spot (not saying it would be much better, but he was serviceable to us when Roy was out). Basically, you have three guys who are horrible right now, and a vet who is way past his prime, but has been big for us. I think it is clear that Bayless is not a PG at this point (dangit), but I think he deserves some slack as he is trying to learn a position that is not exactly easy to learn and he just doesn't have the instincts. If Rudy was proving himself and deserved playing time then Bayless should probably be out of the rotation come playoff time, but I honestly feel Bayless should get a chance to backup Roy to see how that works out.

Oh well, there is always next year when Oden comes back.

12. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Our bench really misses Blake and Outlaw. But that's the price we had to pay for losing Greg & Joel. Those two injuries cost us not only our two best big men but our two best bench scorers.

13. BlazersBlood

BlazersBlood It's flowing within me.

True that. What, isn't there like a week off between each game? The old guys & starters will get plenty of rest between games.

Now we'll have to depend on McMillan to not try to use Unit #1 & Unit #2 during the playoffs.

14. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I don't understand how Blake was one of our best bench scorers... he was playing horribly this season. Sure, Blake did well last season as a starter, but this year he has been almost worthless. Outlaw was injured all season so he was a nonfactor. I agree we could use his scoring right now, but with Bayless, Rudy, and Webster, I would HOPE that we would have some kind of scoring on our bench. I guess not.

15. LittleAlex

LittleAlex Well-Known Member

Outlaw didn't much at all this season, so techincally he was missed all year.

Yet mysteriously the bench is playing worse because it isn't around now as opposed to December?

I have to admit the bench misses Blake.

I think that says far more about our bench's play then it does about Blake.

16. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

A lot of folks seem to forget that the bench didn't play this bad all year. Just only it seems since a few players came back. I think the logjams have players pissed off. All the starters are happy. All the guys off the bench are pissed. The problem is, that is not how professionals handle it. To me it seemed to start right about the time that Batum came back. Every since then the bench has sucked ass.

17. Nikolokolus

Well clearly they need to send Andre and Batum to the bench. Problem solved right?

:wink:

18. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    So, basically our bench's problem is that they think they're starters?

Can we trade them for people who know what they are?

19. Nikolokolus

That's a great way of putting it.

As for trading them I think Webster has some value around the league if only because he's shown a willingness to defend and is a passable rhythm, volume shooter. Rudy should have some value for a GM or coach who has a team with an up-tempo, open court system and they'll probably think he'd rebound if only he was put in the right situation. In my opinion, Bayless is going to be the toughest to move, his instincts are really questionable, his defense is way below average given his lateral quickness and strength and he can't really shoot and doesn't see the floor well.