Well, what Center do you want?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Prue, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Well, he hasn't been growing with it, so I guess it's option 2? lol.

2. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I think bout how well Dieng is playing given minutes, a player i wanted in last years draft, and I cringe when I think of meyers just about total lack of development/improvement, what a waste of a lottery pick

3. Strenuus

I understand that, but where does Freeland go from there? If we get someone like Hawes or Gortat (Most likely not, but for arguments sake), does Freeland go back to 3rd C/PF now? He's worked his ass off to become a pretty good back up... now when he gets an injury and an offseason, we're just gonna put him on the bench with Claver after he's proved himself?

4. Blazinaway

well Meyers hasn't grown and he has had numerous chances the past few years with our weak bench and Freelands injury. who the fuk knows, maybe riding the pine will work? lol

5. Prue

Prue Member

Strenuus point is valid on all accounts: I like Joel, he did work his ass off and is a nice option. But liking the guy and him riding pine in favor of a stronger center brings to light the truth of the league: Who said things have to be fair?

That said, I think Portland does better than most on this facet of the game and looks to treat players fair...You get a Hawes or Gortat or Gasol or Okafor and you get them to BELIEVE in the rotation and the system. Can Scotts do that? not sure. Pop can for sure...he'll I'll bet ANY of those 4 would fight for the chance to play for Pop 2nd fiddle...like fight in a 8-sided cage for it. This concept though of 'buying' into your role is what I think Portland gets the most gain in the offseason from the bench with. You tell Will, T-rob, CJ etc..."Look, you'll get the minutes...I need you to play your role out there 100%, not try to fill 3 roles @ only 60% effectiveness." This then translates into HOW you get a valued big for backup center. 2 legit starting centers willing to work together for the purpose of wining games.

Factor as well, Robin (love the man, perfect fit for Portland hands down) isn't 100% the player he was. Post-injury he's lost a lot off of what he had. He's STILL a good center though. But if you can have 2 GOOD centers splitting the time 24 mins each...you can keep BOTH of them healthy! Right now, like many teams...we wear down our starting centers with 'starting' minutes and are screwed if one goes down. Joel showed he can come and and play. Add 2 years to his game at the progress level he had been showing and BOOM we are right there...But if you've got that in the wings, and can have a 3-center rotation (makes more sense with Hawes who can spread out defense since you have to somewhat honor his shot) you get MANY more offensive and defense sets than we currently have. Want to run a twin-towers? DONE, defense lock down with Robin + Gortat for 5-6 mins. Want to pick up the offensive pace with 2nd unit but still be able to rebound? DONE, Will, T-rob, Mo, CJ and Hawes activate! Just saying, gives you MORE than just a Robin <> Joel swap in rotation does.

6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This is Meyer's 2nd year in the league...

7. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

What rock have you been hiding under? Fropez is having a career year.... He's the best he's ever been.

8. Blazinaway

yes, so almost 2 full seasons and nada from a 13 pick, I'd be glad to not see him on the Blazers next year

9. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

FTFY

10. Prue

Prue Member

Yeah no rock, He admits himself he doesn't have the athleticism, the vert that he use to have pre-injury. Nothing taken away from the man, this is his break out season for sure and best he's ever had. Im just saying its CRAZY he's done all that WITH having taking some toll on the body. My bad though for calling him a GOOD center, This year for sure: He's a GREAT center.

11. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

I'd want my vet center to be the 3rd stringer. Someone mostly washed up but good for 10 minutes in a pinch, like Juwan Howard was or Jermaine ONeal will be soon. An Earl Watson of centers who might take the young bucks under his wing as a de facto big man coach.

12. Prue

Prue Member

This is a solid concept too, and one that we'd likely have to accept. In that category though who's even on the table next year for FA like that....Frye?

13. Strenuus

I see what you're saying. All that said, that completely takes out Hawes and Gortat.

14. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I actually wouldn't mind someone like Asik, but the guy is going to be making so much money next season and there's really no guarantee he re-signs here.

15. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Unless you're thinking that the Blazers can trade either Freeland or Leonard for a better backup center, I'm not sure that there's much point in this conversation. Most or all of the MLE money is going to get spent either re-signing Mo Williams or another backup PG. I wouldn't be averse to adding another veteran's minimum big, but those guys are in short supply and don't really move the needle anyway.

16. Natebishop3

I really don't think Mo is going to get the entire MLE, or even most of it. The guy is getting up there in age, and there wasn't much of a market for him last summer. I could see us tossing him another 2 million-per-year offer over 2-3 years.

17. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I know that you're far from a Mo fan, but his numbers argue that he's one of the top backup PGs in the league. He'll get $4-5 mil easy.

18. Natebishop3

He didn't last year. Why do you think it will change?

19. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I don't know the particulars about why he didn't get more money last year. Maybe he just needed a season away from the mess that is Utah in order to get back on GM's radar. Maybe it was simply a case of him wanting to play in Portland, knowing that was the max he could get from the Blazers because they didn't have the full MLE, but his deal would be structured so he could opt out this summer and get paid. Regardless, take a look at these numbers and tell me that Mo isn't in line for more money:

Andre Miller $4,875,000
    Jose Barea $4,500,000
    Steve Blake $4,000,000
    Luke Ridnour $4,000,000
    Mario Chalmers $4,000,000

20. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Because this year he's been an instrumental part in a winning team.