Well, what Center do you want?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Prue, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Most likely not available, but I want a Plumlee. Either one will do, but I'd prefer the one that plays for the Nets. He just blocked a LeBron dunk to preserve a 1 point victory. He's athletic, runs the floor well and plays both smart and aggressive.

BNM

2. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

Joel Embiid

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Get it done Neil

4. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

Not as easy as you might think. I ran through all the 1st round centers in the last 10 years or so and those who are completely awol had significantly worse numbers. Lopez was a lost foul machine in Phoenix. Obviously stats don't show everything. But 21 year old 7'1" guy that just grabs rebounds at his clip is worth waiting another year on.

5. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I haven't done any research, so I'll take your word on that. Maybe it's all the time Leonard got last year that increased his number . . . or maybe there is something there that I just don't see (very possible).

The trend I don't like is his minutes have decreased. He has had his chances but doesn't seem to be doing enough on the court to get more playing time. It would be different if he was stuck behind a player, but Freeland and Robinson have opened the door to Leonard taking some minutes and he can't seem to do many positive things out there.

But I agree he is worth keeping and I'll even go further and say they keep him for that 4th yr. I have seen some good and sometimes exciting stuff from Leonard, he is 7'1" and can run jump and shoot . . . but after almost 2 yrs of what of seen, he has an uphill battle to be a long term keeper in this league.

6. Schilly

Since 2005 Centers that didn't pan out
    Name (Years Played)
    Shelden Williams
    Patrick O'Bryant
    Saer Sene
    Hilton Armstrong
    Alexis Ajinca
    Hasheem Thabeet
    Cole Aldrich
    Bismack Biyombo

Meyers has better numbers than most those guys and most of them played at least 5 years. Many more had similar numbers for their 1st few years and went on to be contributing players.

7. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

That was an obvious foul on Plumlee. Had the foul been called, and James hits the FTs, it's still a good foul. Yet, it's a foul, and he was late on his rotation.

8. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I like that you still think you're going to pry any of the "Leonar_" gang away from their extremely negative opinions of him.

9. Schilly

There really have only been a small small handful of centers that in their 1st 2 seasons look like keepers at the time. Brook Lopez, Greg Monroe, Demarcus Cousins and Andre Drummond are about it.

10. Schilly

No I don't have that much faith in people to actually be logical and realistic from the standpoint of how a franchise looks at athletically talented 7 footers. They are much more inclined to expect instant gratification from the hardest position to learn and adjust to.

11. Schilly

I don't expect him to be an All Star or even a legit career starting Center, but I definitely see enough in him to think he can earn a career as a 2nd string guy at the 5 spot. I do see that in a lot of regards he has regressed statistically, but his PT has also been very inconsistent and about half the minutes in much fewer games, but he has more competition for PT this season. Freeland definitely made more significant strides and Robinson shows much better "baller" instincts.