Wells Signs with Houston for 2 Years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Run BJM, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Bonzi Wells, the last significant free-agent talent on the market, agreed to a two-year, $5 million deal with the Houston Rockets on Wednesday, according to his agent.

Wells holds a player option for the second year and fully plans to re-enter the free agent market next summer.

"This isn't about the money, this is about being in the right place," said Wells' agent, Merle Scott of BDA Sports.

After turning down a five-year, $36 million offer from the Sacramento Kings last month, Wells fired his agent, Bill Phillips, and hired Scott a few weeks ago. Attempts to work a sign-and-trade that might've allowed Wells to match or improve the Kings' offer failed because Sacramento refused to take back any salaries after signing John Salmons with the money refused by Wells. </div>
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2605639

2. The One & Only

The One & Only JBB The Orlando Tragic

Isn't about the money my butt. Regardless, GREAT signing. I think the Rockets, if they stay healthy, will truly be a contender. The West better watch out......it's scary out there.

3. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

This has been a great offseason. The Rockets really want to "Win Now".

4. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

I know I downplayed this signing last week, but I'm pretty happy with this deal at the moment. He's a starting-caliber player at the SG position, and we got him at a relatively cheap price. The shooting will be a concern, but he's not too bad at 3-point shooter earlier in his career.

With McGrady, Wells, and Snyder we finally have some good athleticism and size at the 2/3 position. Finally.

5. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I kept repeating it. "Bonzi would NEVER sign with Houston"

It finally paid off.

WOW. just WOW!

I am not going to say we are contendors, but hopefully this takes us past the first round!

6. moeinhouston

moeinhouston JBB JustBBall Member

Great singing.
    Got him with the 2+ mil. I guess nobody would go above that.
    Huge pick up.
    A 3rd scored and depth. Exactly what was needed.

He has this year to show his worth, and I think he will. Good rental by the Rockets.

7. AKIRA

AKIRA GO LAKERS!!!

more things
    man i like the look of the rockets this season

8. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting moeinhouston:</div><div class="quote_post">Great singing.
    Got him with the 2+ mil. I guess nobody would go above that.
    Huge pick up.
    A 3rd scored and depth. Exactly what was needed.

He has this year to show his worth, and I think he will. Good rental by the Rockets.</div>

I seriously doubt that. He turned down a 5 year $36,000,000.00 offer with the kings.

That is the best 2.2 million the Rockets have ever spent.

Hopefully he can make up for those rebounds Sura gave us each night 2 seasons ago.

Yao-----Battier-----T-Mac-----Bonzi------Alston
    Deke----Howard----Snyder-----Head------Sura
    --------Hayes------Jacobsen---V-Span---Lucas
    --------Novak------Hairyazz----Azubuike

Bowen

[​IMG]@ the depth

I wonder who we will cut? We have 18 players. I say Bowen, Hairyass, and Azzbuick.

hmmm...
    Deke Hairyazz Gay Bonzi Head

Great offseason for the Rockets.

Incoming:
    Bonzi
    Battier
    V-Span
    Snyder
    Lucas
    Hayes
    Jacobsen
    Novak

Released:
    Swift
    Gay
    Brunson
    Frahm
    Lampe

Now we have a nice back court. Our atheticism problem has been taken care of as well.

9. TmacGarnett

TmacGarnett JBB JustBBall Member

2 guys are going to be let go.

10. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

This is good for some many reasons. First, Bonzi can score. He's able to create his own shot which will make it ALOT easier for our 2 superstars. In addition, we have a gang of shooters who'd luv only but to sit behind that 3pt line and shoot. Another reason, he can give Mcgrady significant rest at SF. Comin of an injury is hard. Now we have someone who can give Tmac 5-10 mins of rest time. It was time this team stopped playin and got it together. Now all Van Gundy has to do is relax and let Bonzi be Bonzi.

11. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting igotask8board:</div><div class="quote_post">hmmm...
    Deke Hairyazz Gay Bonzi Head</div>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] and Azzbuick.

12. og15

og15 JBB *********

Well it's really only a one year signing, but nice job by Houston. When Tmac was last healthy, they won 52 games in a tough Western conference, with the addition of Battier and Wells, and the improvement of Yao. If healthy, this team can be a championship contender this coming season.

13. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

I think its a good move for Houston fans, hopefully this team meshes well. I'm going to be really interested in seeing how this season plays out for Houston.

oh and oh15, I read it is a 5 mill 2 year contract. Does Bonzi have a player option after the first year?

14. Pakman

Pakman JBB ITS ON ME!!!

YEAAHHHHH!!
    I think Tmac talking to Bonzi about joining the Rockets made the difference.

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SkiptoMyLue11:</div><div class="quote_post">I think its a good move for Houston fans, hopefully this team meshes well. I'm going to be really interested in seeing how this season plays out for Houston.

oh and oh15, I read it is a 5 mill 2 year contract. Does Bonzi have a player option after the first year?</div>

Yes the second year is a player option, and his agent already said he expects his client to opt out. If Houston wants to keep him after one season they'll have to free up cap space (most likely Juwan Howard.)

The Rockets offseason was a success already, but winning the Bonzi sweepstakes probably puts them in the top three for teams improving over the summer.

The only drawback I could see is if Bonzi plays for personal stats, to land a better deal, instead of sticking to the team goal. Him and JVG could butt heads sometime during the season.

Bonzi gives the Rockets insurance in-case TMac's back acts up again, because he can give you 20+ a night with efficient production.

Houston fans should be excited about the upcoming season, the fact Bonzi choose Houston to play indicates he feels confident about their chances of winning it all this season. If Houston gets far in the post season, they should become a hot bed for hungry veterans willing to sign for less in order to win.

16. O-townkings89

O-townkings89 JBB JustBBall Member

this is a good pickup for houston, im jus sad that sacramento couldn't resign him. especially after how well he played in the playoffs against San Antonio this year. Houston should do pretty good with him on their roster.

17. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

<font size=""6"">YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!</font>

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

HOUSTON WE HAVE A CHAMPIONSHIP ON OUR WAY!!!!

I cant belive it! WOO HOO!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"This isn't about the money, this is about being in the right place," said Wells' agent, Merle Scott of BDA Sports.</div>
    Wow, he really didnt worry about the money, he just wanted to come to the right place and win a championship. Thats what a real player would do. THANKS BONZI

For me, this basically made up for the rudy gay trade.. [​IMG]

Now our chances of a championship have increased. I hope we win the championship!!!!!

18. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

Woah I very much doubted he would sign with Houston. I like this a lot Bonzi is a solid player maybe Houston can go all the way.

What is the likeliness of him being there next season?

19. moeinhouston

moeinhouston JBB JustBBall Member

Zero to None if he wants 8-10mil a year again.

I think he'll shine and help the team.
    JVG problems don't worry me because if Bonzi does anything to rock the boat he's taking money from himself. Great reason to play these days.

Bonzi will help TMac's back by taking some of that scoring load off.
    I can see him averaging 15 points.

That trade exception is still sitting out there.

20. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Even though Wells took more than 48 hours to sign with us, I won't have minded him waiting a month to sign. So many holes are instantly solved, and we're very deep in the backcourt, being able to go three deep at both SG and PG

PG: Alston, Sura, VSpan
    SG: Wells, Head, Snyder

I'd rather see Wells start at shooting guard and Battier coming off the bench, instead of Howard subbing and Battier at power forward. He won't be able to handle it for 82 games, and Howard is a good fit with Yao already. Battier could come off the bench at three positions and give us some lockdown defense and another shooter from the corner.

Let's start the season already!