Exclusive Wesley Mathews or Arron Afflalo

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Feb 28, 2015.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Maybe a bit early but you know its coming. So if you could only choose one of the two who would it be?

PDXFonz likes this.
  2. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

This is ban-worthy shit right here! :)

dviss1 and kjironman1 like this.
  3. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Both. Dont care how we keep both and keep Lopez as well. Trade one next off season if were worried about salary... oh wait the cap would be 90m we would still be under by 25m.

dviss1 and kjironman1 like this.
  4. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

Wes fits better with what's going on here with Stotts and the offense, IMO. That his personality is prob more of a fit. I have concerns and more of the things he can't do. But If you can sign Arron and keep the two together it's less of an concern.

It wouldn't mind seeing one (If not both) being sent off with some change to Toronto for DeMar Derozan. Offensively, I'm thinking he can do it all. And defensively, he will improve in time.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  5. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

You're right, it is too early.

kjironman1 likes this.
  6. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    We don't have to choose.

We won't have to choose.

We need both.

We'll keep both.

Or what's a heaven for?

kjironman1 likes this.
  7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think both will want to stay here. Especially after we win a ring this season.

kjironman1 likes this.
  8. bulls_with_booz

bulls_with_booz We're Selfish

Afflalo is based but Wes is making 3's like he's Ashton Kutcher out there mang.

9. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Finals or WCF you keep both.

magnifier661 and kjironman1 like this.
  10. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Wes. He's a superior defender and a better complement to slender Batum. But I want to keep both.

I think I'd keep Wes even if he we had to pay him a max contract. But at that dollar amount vs Afflalo on a mid sized deal I'd have to admit Arron would be the superior value.

11. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I absolutely hate this thinking.

The Spurs got bounced in the first round and lost in the playoffs all sorts of years but kept their core together. The Mavs kept building around Dirk after years of disappointing playoffs. If we have the right players the results of one playoff series in an insanely competitive conference should have very little impact to the proper plan of building a roster.

If we either lose in the first round or are a couple wins from the finals I believe Neil needs to build the roster the same.

bulls_with_booz likes this.
  12. bulls_with_booz

bulls_with_booz We're Selfish

I'm with you Draco. Afflalo's a productive player, as is Wes, with or without a trip to the WCF this year.

13. SlyPokerDog

A core is 3 players, IMO. You can't have 6 max or near max players on a team that isn't a championship contender. Don't get me wrong. I am the biggest Wes Matthews fan here. I love the guy and want him to stay. I also like Batum and Loepz. AA is growing on me but you don't go over the salary cap on a 1st round loser.

If we lose in the first round you keep Lillard, LMA and .... fuck if I know. I would say Wes but I'm biased.

14. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I vote maybe

15. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

I think the opposite also holds true. If they win it all, if they see a way to improve. They should also pull the trigger.

RR7 likes this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

These guys could both go to a losing franchise..(Knicks, Philly, Boston, Denver, etc) and get paid probably more but the attraction to stay here is the culture, system and fanbase. Winning solves everything but when it comes down to it...it's not the Blazers who need to convince them, it's the players that have to want to play here and believe. It won't hurt the cap much to sign longer deals because the cap is going way up after next season. Worse case, you pay some luxury tax next year to keep the roster intact.

17. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

So you think the Spurs who lost in the first round or the Mavs who lost in the first round weren't championship contenders? I disagree. Both teams won titles and its stupid to overreact to the results of one playoff series.

18. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yes good points; the team has plenty of room under the cap for 4 younger veteran "max" contracts this offseason since the cap will later be increasing to 90 million. Sure it'd be great for the Blazers if players accepted less to play here but I'm fine with us paying players their full market value. The problem with big free agent contracts isn't giving them to motivated vets like Wesley and Rolo; its paying Darius Miles $50 million or Theo Ratliff $40 million when the team is in the lottery and no other suitors are interested. Or when teams pay their own rookies stupid extensions as Toronto did with Barngani or Denver with McGee to try and validated their previous poor decisions.

Hell if a free agent player wants to play in Portland instead of Los Angeles or New York for the same money shouldn't we be excited? Portland has supposedly never been a free agent attraction so its quite greedy to now say not only should players come and stay here but they should leave money on the table to do so. Its easy as a fan to say someone else should take a pay cut when its someone elses money. I don't blame any player for getting what they are worth and I think those players are worth as much to the Blazers as any other team so I hope we pay them and keep them.

dviss1 likes this.
  19. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I want to keep both.

But I actually think AA is a more efficient player. Wes is more explosive, but he goes through some vicious droughts.

20. SlyPokerDog

The Spurs had championship players and a championship coach in place when they lost in the first round. We have none of that... yet. I really don't think the Spurs comparison is valid. They had previously won championships.

I'm saying, if we make the finals or WCFs it's a no brainer, you bring everyone back. No matter what it costs, you bring them back. If we lose in the 1st round, a step backwards from last year you have to look at making changes/improvements. Why wouldn't you? If there aren't better options you then stay the same and bring everyone back.