Exclusive Wesley Mathews or Arron Afflalo

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Feb 28, 2015.

1. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

If we really wanna win this thing, we need both.

2. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    Say goodbye to Wes. Sad, but true.

He's going to be too expensive, especially with Afflalo available at that spot and RoLo and LA getting big paydays.

3. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Keep them all. This is a championship quality team.

4. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Honestly ask yourself where this team needs help. Take off the homer glasses and really be honest. Do you see a possibility of getting a better player this summer that would truly make a difference for this team?
    If you don't think this team could get a player that could make them better then you are not being realistic. To do that some changes would have to come.
    For the most part this team needs to play the rest of this season out and the decision will have to be made this summer.
    So Yes....This is way too early to be talking about this. It would only cause a bunch of problems and at this point only Jason Quick would have he audacity to start this kind of talk inside the locker room. Do you really want to be compared to Quicksand?

Strenuus likes this.
  5. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

He would love to, I'm sure.

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Where we need a lot of help is getting foul calls but I'm at a loss to see how we could add that to the roster ...no...I don't want Harden either but Scott Foster I'm thinking could be bought

7. Strenuus

It's more the fact that he already owes us a game...

8. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Yep! And it's not like we haven't been trying, especially lately. I've notice Stotts has been changing the game plan to score in the paint more. We've been getting pushed, bumped and grabbed; yet no foul calls. It's pretty frustrating

9. Strenuus

By the way, I think BGD has a streak of spelling our players' names wrong. Every. Time. This is why he never gets attached to them or thinks they are ever untouchable... he can never spell them right, so he wants to trade for people like Josh Smith so he can spell them right.

I have figured out the puzzle.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Are you implying BGD is actually Mike Rice?

Strenuus likes this.
  11. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    No, just that he posts like a fucking idiot

12. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Well it goes like this in my mind. Don't get me wrong because i love what Lopez brings but this team could use a more mobile center. One that is a monster shot blocker! Preferably one that can hit a free throw. That being said you probably don't give up Lopez to get one but you try to get one somehow with out losing him. Tough to do but the cost might be another player or finding a way to draft one? Drafting well always seems like a good choice. Rookie contracts are easy to absorb.
    Next this team needs someone somewhere that can run a fast break and create their own shot. Some combination of both would be nice. Right now they use ball movement and Aldridge to get people open when he passes out of the double team. I am not willing to give up defense for offense but this is a weakness.
    No team is perfect...There are no teams anywhere that have ever been that were perfect. This team is good and getting better. The trick to this is to address these issues without losing what we have. Not my job and i am not qualified to say how it could be done. I also don't want to start naming players the Blazers should go after because that gets crazy after a while. Cap implications and different reasons players are good fits or not get in the way. Neil Olshey is paid to do that not me.

13. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

Seems like you are thinking maybe a Roy Hibbert. I like Rolo too but there were moments last night where the Thunder manhandled and pushed him around last night. With how big he is, I don't know how. But he was. I don't think that kind of stuff would happen to Roy.

14. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

How do we know Afflalo won't be offered the same amount as Wes by another team?
    I am in the "way too early group".

Strenuus likes this.
  15. Strenuus

I'd like to point out, that although I've wanted AAA for years, and we do have him, he has only played 3 games for us. Now, I don't expect him to go the way of Kaman and go from awesome in the beginning to cringeworthy mostly... but, I have a cautious predisposition when it comes to new people now.

That being said, I'm fully confident still that AAA was our missing piece.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  16. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

Man you guys are cray. You gotta go with Afflalo. Specially at the price Wes is going to demand. Plus I think AA is the better player.

Stevenson likes this.
  17. Drttimmy

Drttimmy Well-Known Member

Reading your post, I think you're implicitly saying you question if this team as currently constructed could win the title. That's what I got out of it at least, or maybe it hits on a sulky feeling I've had about this club for awhile. I'm still not sure. Upgrading Lopez for a guy like Jordan who could shoot 80% from the line would be nice, but not too many of those guys exist. Actually, I view Lopez as one of the three nearly untouchables along with Aldridge and Lillard.

We're modeled a bit like the Spurs, and where they're more complete is having the perimeter guys like Green and Leonard who can put the ball on the floor and attack the rim or consistently hit medium range jumpers. Easier, high percentage shots to rely on if Duncan is off, Parker can't find the rim, and the threes aint dropping. Wes and Nic just don't do enough of that. Affalo hit at least two of those type of shots last night in limited looks. Maybe his addition is the missing piece. Or maybe we just need to reload completely in this area.

18. Strenuus

Are there any shot blockers that have a good FT%? I'd rather have a center that hits his free throws and just changes the effect of the shot rather than a center who can block shots but can't hit ft's... That one seems like it'd "even out" more and the points he blocks don't get made up at the line so it feels like a moot point.

So, in essence, I'd rather have Lopez. missing FT's irritates the crap out of me.

19. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

But if you think AAA is the better player, then why do you assume Wes will get more money?

20. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Because according to Blue we're crazy.

blue32 likes this.