Game Thread WEST FINALS, GAME 3: WARRIORS @ BLAZERS - MAY 18, 2019, SATURDAY, 6PM, ESPN

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, May 16, 2019.

?

Should the Blazers move Seth into the starting line-up?

Poll closed May 23, 2019.
  1. Absolutley. We need more shooters in the starting line-up.

5.9%
  2. Sure, why not.

11.8%
  3. No, but he should get at least 30 minutes a night

15.7%
  4. No, we need his scoring punch off the bench.

47.1%
  5. No, he makes our starting unit too small.

15.7%
  6. Heck no! He's not consistently good enough

3.9%
  1. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Come on, do you really expect Stotts (or any coach for that matter) to think this far? Especially Stotts since he’s never been a head coach for games in the WCF...

2. BlazerBeav

BlazerBeav Well-Known Member

You think? Maybe that's why the rest of the league and the people who cover it talk so highly of him. Some of you people are insane. The Blazers, without their center, are in the WCF - and your thought is that's in spite of Stotts? Insane.

3. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I said he’s above average because he’s a good development coach. He would be awesome for Phoenix, or Memphis, or even the Lakers.

And yeah, I want a new coach. Nothing he’s done in this playoff run has changed my opinion of him. The pro Stotts and anti Stotts fans are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

brooklynballer and oldmangrouch like this.
  4. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

There was a discussion last night during the game about the extent of experience that coach Stotts actually has. The comments were pretty clear that 11 years as an NBA head coach and a coaching career that started under George Karl in the CBA might be an indication that he is more than worthy to be in the position he is in.
    Here is the point. Do you actually think there is something the has not seen? He has been an NBA coach for over 25 years and he has a ring. But sure, lets undersell his experience. How many times do you think a coach has had to deal with this problem? Do you actually think this has never been dealt with before? What would make you think that this does not come into conversation pretty much every year? Go ahead and look at the current Muslim players in the league? The list might surprise you.
    Here is a current list. Notice 3 of the top five are Blazers. How on earth do you actually think he does not know this and might want to prepare for it.
    This is exactly why i tell the "loud minority" that think they know everything and have absolutely no clue what a coach is doing that they are clueless.
    https://skyrockliving.com/muslim-players-in-nba/

The NBA is entertainment. It is a show with a game being played. The show goes on but knowing what is happening behind the scenes is a very different thing.

gatorpops and calvin natt like this.
  5. kjironman1

Exactly!
    March 25th the season was all but over. WTF is it with these people?

6. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    As a Player I hated losing and was mostly indifferent about winning, I wanted to win mainly because of how much I hated to lose. I think many of us are that way. When we lose our ugly side comes out at times. Anyways I got a ton of code to write today, have a good Friday morning.

trailblazer18 and hoopsjock like this.
  7. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

The crux of this argument is that you're telling me Stotts would have rather put himself into a situation where we have a greater chance of losing than winning in the second round. That is ridiculous. We are heavy underdogs against the Warriors even now. We are weeds in the grass against the Warriors with KD and Cousins, which the Warriors had at the time they made the decision to rest the guys in the last game.

I'm not bashing Stotts for this by the way. I'm just arguing against your notion that he had the foresight to see this issue at the end of the season. I don't expect any coach to factor this into consideration.

8. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Who are you trying to kid? Modifying 4 lines of code isn't a ton to write, we know that is what makes up the bulk of our jobs on a daily basis. ;)

RickyJoe and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  9. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Why is Kanter playing/ starting. He is useless in this series.

MarAzul likes this.
  10. kjironman1

Honestly i don't know any of that. It was a comment i read and it just rang out there a bit.
    The original comment was about the winning the last game that Stotts was playing his bench to rest the starters. Try not to take it literal because it's pure speculation.

11. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Not sure if he should start but he isn’t useless. He’s been hurting them on the boards and with put backs.

12. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I think his offensive rebounding is key to winning a few games in this series. Play to our advantages. We aren't gonna beat the Warriors playing their game.

13. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I played a lot of sports over the years, Milwaukie Elks league basketball, HS & CC baseball and tournament fast pitch softball and a couple things I learned was losing, especially in tournaments wasn't easy and was was interesting to watch certain players and how they dealt with the loses. Some would take them very hard and had a hard time recovering for the next games. Those guys would not be as mentally sharp or prepared for the next game, and often made huge errors or bone head plays. Others would suck up the emotions and get their head's straight and not whine, on and on and those guys were ready to bounce back more readily for another game.
    Ive noticed fans can be and are the same way. Its better to learn how to take a loss and move on be prepared for the next game.

CJ comment is right on and its what I don't enjoy todays game as much - "the game is about makes and misses"

BlazerBeav likes this.
  14. BlazerBeav

BlazerBeav Well-Known Member

What's the alternative? Meyers gets exposed on defense, and last night Collins was a dumpster fire. If Stotts could play Nurkic, that'd be helpeful.

gatorpops likes this.
  15. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Somebody posted a comment of Stotts saying something along the lines of "This is the first time he's ever had a player do this." Either that means Aminu and Nurk don't fast or they've never played far enough to have it conflict. Either way that doesn't seem like a situation Terry was thinking about, nor should he have been.

People keep talking about the fasting but Kanter is playing with a separated shoulder. There are rebounds he's having to try and get with one arm. I think that's a way bigger problem for a physical player than the fasting is. There's no way any coach could game plan for an injury that hasn't occurred yet.

oldmangrouch and kjironman1 like this.
  16. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    lol, I wish I work for a fairly small company and that means that I am so thankful that GitHub keeps track of things because I need all the help I can get lol...

B-Roy likes this.
  17. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

Meyer's was not exposed. What was exposed was the lack of weak side help when he went to trap Steph. He was in the right spot, his teammates weren't.

18. kjironman1

I want them to play bigger also. Small ball is their strong suit.

19. kjironman1

All valid points.

20. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    The plan has to be to avoid embarrassment, ridicule, and in doing so, let FA's know Portland is serious about winning a championship. Have to at least take one. The odds ain't good.

Darkwebs and oldmangrouch like this.