What could have been....

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Vyper, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Vyper

Vyper -Vintage '73-

jaded corporate lackey
    Man,Run TMC was one my favorite NBA teams to watch EVER. Mullin,Richmond and Hardaway were amazing and hella fun to watch. I often wonder what could have been if they kept the team together and had not traded away Webber. I think that they could have won a title or two.

The very first NBA game I ever got to go see was The Warriors and The Clippers featuring Run TMC...

Do you Warriors fans think that this team could have gone onto NBA greatness?

2. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting The Black Widow:</div><div class="quote_post">Man,Run TMC was one my favorite NBA teams to watch EVER. Mullin,Richmond and Hardaway were amazing and hella fun to watch. I often wonder what could have been if they kept the team together and had not traded away Webber. I think that they could have won a title or two.

The very first NBA game I ever got to go see was The Warriors and The Clippers featuring Run TMC...

Do you Warriors fans think that this team could have gone onto NBA greatness?</div>

They could've and still can, however let's just say there was no age and everyone was in their prime. Having the likes of Mullin in conjunction with NVE would be devastating. Think of all the combos, infinite possibilities. Even having Spree.

3. Vyper

Vyper -Vintage '73-

jaded corporate lackey
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Magic Johnson:</div><div class="quote_post">They could've and still can, however let's just say there was no age and everyone was in their prime. Having the likes of Mullin in conjunction with NVE would be devastating. Think of all the combos, infinite possibilities. Even having Spree.</div>

If I had my druthers I'd like to have Bug more so than Nick The Quick....

4. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

With the players they could have kept, they would be a pretty good team, but saying they could have won a title or two is out of the question. There were also problems with Spree/Webber era if I remember.

5. Vyper

Vyper -Vintage '73-

jaded corporate lackey
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Purple N Gold:</div><div class="quote_post">With the players they could have kept, they would be a pretty good team, but saying they could have won a title or two is out of the question. There were also problems with Spree/Webber era if I remember.</div>

If I recall,I think the problems with Webb came from Don Nelson who ended up being canned not long after Webber was traded and Spree didn't have alot of problems until the tail end of his Warriors run....

6. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Let's pull Timbug out of retirement [​IMG] We have one spot left on our active roster.

7. Vyper

Vyper -Vintage '73-

jaded corporate lackey
    Hardaway is my all-time fav player (well Bug and 'Nique) I would love to see him come back and finish up with GS!

8. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting The Black Widow:</div><div class="quote_post">Hardaway is my all-time fav player (well Bug and 'Nique) I would love to see him come back and finish up with GS!</div>I wouldn't, he is old and washed up.

He is one of my favorite players ever also. He was something else when he was in his prime.

9. Vyper

Vyper -Vintage '73-

jaded corporate lackey
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">I wouldn't, he is old and washed up.

He is one of my favorite players ever also. He was something else when he was in his prime.</div>

Ah brah,I know he wouldn't be like he was..but it'd be nice to see him comeback and play a few games as a back-up then retire as a Warrior IMO.

10. OgShowtime

OgShowtime JBB JustBBall Member

I know the team your talking about 'Widow, the Warriors of 89-91. That team was explosive man, I didn't like 'em too much though because they always beat the Lakers. Tim was the most exciting PG in the L, Mully was the best dead-eye shooter and Mitch pretty much did it all. I would have liked to see Mitch stick in Oakland, he hit the ground running when he got there, and would have been a great franchise player and fan favorite to build around for the future. Instead, he got shipped off to the Kings who truly were the Queens in those days. If he was able to play with a more talented team, Mitch might be more highly thought-of by NBA fans outside of northern California.

I couldn't understand that deal when they made it, Billy Owens did give them some much-needed size, but never turned out to be the perennial all-star everyone expected him to be. I remember seeing the statline for every Warriors game with the big three and their huge point totals. I think they put up about an average 71, 72 points combined for those two seasons? All three in the top 10 in scoring if my memory is correct. That was the last team in the NBA that had two great shooters of such a high calibar. Anyone who isn't old enough to remember should ask somebody about Mitch and Mully draining jumpers from everywhere on the floor. Surunas was also a key contributor on the Warriors in those days, another great shooter who could bury the J and slash to the basket. They were still a very potent scoring trio with Marciulionis, Hardaway and Mullin, but injuries started to slow them down and just couldn't get it done. Yeah, it really is too bad that that team couldn't stay together. It was a beautiful style of play to watch, one that we probably won't get to see again any time soon. If they could have added a big man without losing Mitch, or at least avoided some of those devastating injuries, there's no telling how good they could have been.

11. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting OgShowtime:</div><div class="quote_post">I know the team your talking about 'Widow, the Warriors of 89-91. That team was explosive man, I didn't like 'em too much though because they always beat the Lakers. Tim was the most exciting PG in the L, Mully was the best dead-eye shooter and Mitch pretty much did it all. I would have liked to see Mitch stick in Oakland, he hit the ground running when he got there, and would have been a great franchise player and fan favorite to build around for the future. Instead, he got shipped off to the Kings who truly were the Queens in those days. If he was able to play with a more talented team, Mitch might be more highly thought-of by NBA fans outside of northern California.

I couldn't understand that deal when they made it, Billy Owens did give them some much-needed size, but never turned out to be the perennial all-star everyone expected him to be. I remember seeing the statline for every Warriors game with the big three and their huge point totals. I think they put up about an average 71, 72 points combined for those two seasons? All three in the top 10 in scoring if my memory is correct. That was the last team in the NBA that had two great shooters of such a high calibar. Anyone who isn't old enough to remember should ask somebody about Mitch and Mully draining jumpers from everywhere on the floor. Surunas was also a key contributor on the Warriors in those days, another great shooter who could bury the J and slash to the basket. They were still a very potent scoring trio with Marciulionis, Hardaway and Mullin, but injuries started to slow them down and just couldn't get it done. Yeah, it really is too bad that that team couldn't stay together. It was a beautiful style of play to watch, one that we probably won't get to see again any time soon. If they could have added a big man without losing Mitch, or at least avoided some of those devastating injuries, there's no telling how good they could have been.</div>

Don Nelson always believed you can't get enough of scoring. He was a coach that would assemble a fun to watch team but couldn't advance against teams that could power the ball inside. It seems you have to have a Duncan or a Shaq to power the ball inside and put everyone else in foul trouble if they dare stop him.

12. OgShowtime

OgShowtime JBB JustBBall Member

Unfortunately he's still sticking to that mantra, but I think that things could have been different for the Warriors of the early 90's despite their lack of a big-time center. They tried to obtain some help in the paint for TMC, when they drafted Gatling and Alexander, but that never panned out. They also brought in Rony Seikaly for awhile if I'm not mistaken. But, it's not like the Warriors were battling top-notch centers in the west in those days. The only two dominant forces out west were Olajuwon in Houston and Robinson in San Antonio, along with a young Dikembe Mutombo. After that, there was a tremendous drop off in the level of talent. Duckworth was a decent player, but certainly not dominant. Divac was still learning how to play the US style of basketball. Eaton was on his way out, Benjamin was...Benjamin, then there were guys like Mark West, Joe Klein and little else to speak of.

13. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The 1990-91 Run TMC squad was exciting to watch, but they didn't have the defense or inside scoring to win a championship. Teams like Portland, Los Angeles, and Phoenix had a size advantage. A few years later the emergence of the Payton and Kemp duo, and the arrival of Sir Charles in Phoenix would still be, too much for Golden State. And the Stockton to Malone duo was just starting to come together for Utah.

This year's Sonics remind me a lot of that Warriors team.