What could Meyers do...

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by julius, Oct 9, 2017.

1. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Anyone know what his +/- was before garbage time?

2. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

I grew up a Christian and have read the bible many times. How do you think I learned to play guitar? I led the freaking worship team. I hit an age of reason and grew other opinions. No biggie. I've read the Koran as well.

Everything you've said is totally legit. Ill give you that. However, I find it to be awesome and hilarious so it is staying up.

bodyman5000 and 1 and BBert like this.
  3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Meyers had a good game. Trade him to Cleveland now.

5. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Had to Bump this.
    This is what Meyers has done.
    Game #1 3-5 shooting 9 pts 3 rebs in 12 mins with 2-2 from FT

Game #2 Poor shooting night 1-6 for 3 points 4 reb 1-3 from three. 15 mins

Game #3 10 rebs 3 points in 10 mins... That is 10 REBOUNDS with 2 asts. with +14 while on the court.

Game #4 DNP

Game #5 5-8 for 17 pts. Again 2-2 perfect at the line. 8 rebounds and 5-6 from 3pt. 24 mins

If your goal is to bash Meyers then go right ahead.

Meyers Leonard has been one of if not the biggest improvement on the roster. Very solid and consistent.

6. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I would agree that Meyers appears to have had multiple good games this preseason, and remain on the Meyeres 2.0 bandwagon. The two things that people want to see more than anything else, however, are not reflected in the stats above:
    1. Defense--specifically several aspects of defense:
      • Awareness
      • Positioning
      • Reaction
      1. Meyers appeared to demonstrate much of this in game 1 (the only game I've been able to watch), but from what I've heard, these haven't been on display as much in the other games
    2. Consistency
      1. We don't seem to know what we're going to get from him from one night to the next. Good play (game 1), liability on both ends (game 2), offensively challenged rebounder (game 3), outside threat (game 5).
      2. If he were the kind of player that were providing "whatever the team needs on any given night", then that wouldn't be an issue, but he hasn't quite shown himself to be instinctive enough to be that kind of player.
    I'm hoping as hard as anybody that he's able to translate his offseason work into a reliable game this season, but I wouldn't yet go so far as to say he's been consistent or the biggest improvement on the team.

7. kjironman1

Yeah we want to see all that from every player. So many people simply watch his game to look for mistakes. The guy went out and did everything everyone was asking for and now he is producing on the court but you still want to say things like "Awareness" "Reaction"... The guy just brought down 10 rebs in 10 mins and shot 5-6 from three in separate games. Any other player does that and people are singing praises all over the board.
    The crazy part of your response is the whole "We don't know what we are going to get from one night to the next". I just posted four games of stats for the guy.
    And he is doing it for 10 mil. NOT 17 Million a year

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    BBert likes this.
  8. kjironman1

The next thing i wanted to point out was the shoving match between Len and Swanigan.
    You watched on that play Meyers drain a three. Then the ruckus started. Meyers was already heading the other way setting up for defense. Watch the video. The second guy on the team getting there to help out his team mate was Meyers. Right there pulling Len out of the mess. It's a little thing yes. But it shows that he does indeed have "Awareness" as to what is happening on the court.

Eastoff, BBert and PtldPlatypus like this.
  9. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Well, no, not really. Yes, people want him to work on his game, but "everyone"s problem with his game isn't limited to his offensive prowess. "Everyone" has criticized him continuously for his defense: looking lost, missing assignments, not defending the paint, fouling unnecessarily, and generally playing significantly smaller than his size. As for offense, generally "everyone" has been most concerned with this speed of his release (not really improved) and his unwillingness to play down low (also not really improved).

Regarding this preseason, even within his good games he has produced inconsistently on the court. Game 1 he was solid in the first half, but was pretty embarrassing in the 2nd. Game 5 he did almost all his scoring in the first half, and was again, not very good in the second.

I'm sorry you don't like my detailed explanations of what I have seen and what I would like to see from him, but it's not as though we're moving the goalposts on him. What "everyone" wants to see are the same things that "everyone" has been asking for for 5 years.

When I talk about "awareness", I'm talking about during a play, when the opponents are moving their players and/or the ball around the court, and he needs to be able to respond effectively. Completely different than his response to a scuffle (which, I agree, was good in that situation).

Wizard Mentor and rotary111 like this.
  10. kjironman1

Actually i do like your detailed explanations. Way better than just saying "He Sucks". At least you are looking. I just look a bit different. If he did all that he would be an All-Star. He would be a dream come true for Olshey who took a chance and we all knew that. Meyers is never going to be an All-Star Center the likes of Hakeem. But he is becoming a very serviceable second unit guy that has so far this year been shooting well and pulling down boards.

11. kjironman1

That was also my point. He made a shot. A really good looking three. Instead of showboating and making a big deal about it he was heading back on defense. He was already on the other side of the court. This is not a guy who is not aware of where he is supposed to be. This is a guy that is playing defense.

12. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I guess I don’t equate “getting back on defense” as either good defense or awareness on defense. My 5 year old gets back on defense consistently. He’s also completely lost 95% of the time.

dviss1 and PtldPlatypus like this.
  13. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Someone criticized Meyers for his response to the scuffle when it first happened. But when I watched the vid what I saw was Meyers run from the other end of the court and get in the middle of the scrum and put his arms around Len. Other than throwing a punch, I don't know what else people wanted him to do. Meyers bashing is a habit that's hard to break I guess.

BonesJones, Eastoff and kjironman1 like this.
  14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Are you Meyers Leonard?

Nate, kjironman1 and dviss1 like this.
  15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Improvement or not, I'm done with him. I hate his "game". My hope is he boosts his trade value to get off my favorite team.

16. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Sir, I've met kjironman. Meyers Leonard is no kjironman!

:cheers:

dviss1, kjironman1 and andalusian like this.
  17. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

18. kjironman1

Well then you are done. :smiley-hmm:

19. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

When he does "good things" I'm like "so what?".

20. kjironman1

That is pretty much my point.

dviss1 likes this.