What do the Fans think?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Trail_Blazer76, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

Here are just a few comments made by Blazers fans concerning the team;

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> believe that Rasheed Wallace is a fine basketball player and a great family man. While I may disagree with some of his viewpoints and have criticism of him, I realize I have my own faults as well. It is simple human nature to compare. Rasheed is my favorite player in the NBA because oh his stellar play and leadership. Without Sheed, the Blazers would be a lottery team. So while I may not always agree with him I will support him 100 percent of the way as a player and a father. From the heart of a native Oregonian and a Blazer fan literally from the cradle, I am truly Rasheed's biggest fan because I can relate both my positive and negative feelings toward him to myself without completely ripping or praising him.</div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Grow up Mr. Wallace. In a business where the MINIMUM salary is 13 times the MEDIAN income of the people who pay your salary, who is taking advantage of whom? Do I feel a high-school graduate employed by the NBA for a minimum $367,000 is being taken advantage of? In a word, NO. Mr. Wallace, if you had to work a real job for a real income, your perspective might be different. At least it would be more realistic. I believe all Trail Blazer fans should be grateful Mr. Wallace doesn't talk to the press more; each time he does, he only embarasses us.</div>

Full Story

Responses?

2. Waneko

Waneko JBB JustBBall Member

The fan who makes the comment about the median salary should be asked if only those who make little money are allowed to complain about being made to feel inferior.

I mean, to me, it seems that's what was really behind Rasheed's comments. But, since Rasheed said something about exploitation, he is essentially criticizing capitalism and he'll get little sympathy for that. Most people like the fan will jump all over that part of his statement.

3. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Waneko:</div><div class="quote_post">The fan who makes the comment about the median salary should be asked if only those who make little money are allowed to complain about being made to feel inferior.

I mean, to me, it seems that's what was really behind Rasheed's comments. But, since Rasheed said something about exploitation, he is essentially criticizing capitalism and he'll get little sympathy for that. Most people like the fan will jump all over that part of his statement.</div>

Yup, rich people have opinions too, lol. In fact, Sheed should have known that regardless of how valid his statements were the media would portray them negatively because of who he is.

I think the so much benefit comes from the NBA that most fans cannot accept the fact that difficulties exist as well. Most of us think that the NBA is a game.....and it isn't. The NBA, is hard work! You lift weights, you run, you eat right, work on your game, play for 48 minutes, and then get harassed by the media after the game. In addition we don't see what goes on behind closed doors, and then there's the politics.......

Money can't compensate for all that. You couldn't pay me enough money to bite my tongue for 10+ years just to play in the NBA. That's why fines exist.

4. jbbBlaze

jbbBlaze JBB JustBBall Member

Do i really care..No

Am i offended with what Sheed said..No

Is there truth in what Sheed said..Yes

Should he have gone about it a better way..Yes

Sheed has been an NBA star for 8 years..this isn't some rookie poppin off at the mouth so people will take notice..

The league cries when he doesn't do interviews then they cry even more when he doesn't do it right..so they say "we need you to give us more insight in the interveiws"..so what does Sheed do..he speaks his mind on how he really feels..and the league goes nuts along with the fans who didn't like him in the first place..OMFG he holds an opinion contrary to what you think!

And those same fans talk about "he should shut up he makes 17mill"..I hate that BS about how much money he makes..what the <font color="Red">edit</font> does that have to do with how he sees things going on around him?

I think there are way to many sensitive NBA fans that are quick to jump on a players back when they dont stand in front of the camera with a smile..

The only thing i give a <font color="Red">edit </font> about is the TrailBlazers winning a championship..i think with Sheed in the team we have a better chance than without and i wish more players would stand up and speak they mind just like Wallace..maybe not in the same exact way lol...1

<font color="Red">I appreciate your posts, but please refrain from swearing. Thanks. -TB76.</font>

5. Emo

Emo Active Member

Ok, do you really have to use foul language to prove your point?

<font color="Red">I had to edit his quote out of your post, because it contained profanity. -TB76.</font>

6. jbbBlaze

Why do you give a EDIT?..1

7. Emo

Emo Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Blaze:</div><div class="quote_post">Why do you give a EDIT?..1</div>

Why do I give a EDIT? Why don't you take time to read the guidelines before you post something as ridiculous as that. [​IMG]

8. jbbBlaze

Yep my bad..i always read guidelines to a basketball forum..lol..1
    (i bet you the type of person who reads the instructions on how to cook a tin of beans)

9. Trail_Blazer76

Ok guys, lets get this back on topic please.

The Blazers are a troubled team, and Sheed is leading the drama. But does that mean that he can't speak his mind? Does money = silence?

10. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

Hmmm, I think money doesn't necessarily mean you hafta be quiet, but it does mean that you should use more discretion when you speak to the media. Although complaining shouldn't be restricted to poor folks, there are more in that income bracket, and they sure as heck don't want to hear rich folk complaining.

Rasheed had some valid points he felt he had to make. He is in a position where he could voice those complaints in a more PC manner, whether he had to hire someone to review his speech or just got to the point instead of making broad generalizations which targeted all of his fans(although that clearly wasn't his intention).

11. Emo

Emo Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Blaze:</div><div class="quote_post">(i bet you the type of person who reads the instructions on how to cook a tin of beans)</div>

Whoa buddy. Let's not go off-topic now. :thumbsdow

12. jbbBlaze

Whoa buddy. lets stop riding my "?" now.<font color="Red">This is the last time that I will warn you about using profanity. -TB76</font>

The thread was for Blazers fans..LET IT GO..Sheed is a NBA star..even if YOU dont like it....1

13. saad

saad JBB Banned Member

sports players are overpaid obviously, whooever doesnt think so is an idiot...

14. Waneko

Waneko JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting saad:</div><div class="quote_post">sports players are overpaid obviously, whooever doesnt think so is an idiot...</div>

Before you call people idiots, ask yourself this:

Of the billions of dollars generated by professional sports (or even college sports for that matter), who's pockets should they go into?

I guess you think players should get five figure salaries while the owners pocket the rest. You, as the fan, will continue to have no problem paying the outragious prices for tickets and merchandise while the fat cats get richer.

Oh, so you're thinking that prices would be kept down if players weren't payed so much? If you believe that, you must live in Cuba or someplace like that. Read economics 101 where it talks about supply and demand then think about this one again.

15. Dom_Sensei

Dom_Sensei JBB JustBBall Member

QYNTEL WOODS SHOULD BE A STARTER.

Mr Cheeks, please let Stoudamire & Wallace go and please give us this starting 5:

D.Davis
    Z.Randolph
    Q.Woods
    D.Anderson
    J.McInnis

16. Trail_Blazer76

Please elaboarate. Have you even seen Qyntel Woods play, or his attitude? The guy is not sane (he used his basketball card as id when he got pulled over), let alone fit to be in the starting line-up of a basketball team.

He misses open lay-ups, jumpers, and commits turnovers. He's currently NBDL quality.

17. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post"> The guy is not sane (he used his basketball card as id when he got pulled over)</div>

lol, I never heard about that...that's classic [​IMG]

18. nikebasketball

nikebasketball JBB JustBBall Member

>Sheed is a NBA star...

I agree, many people hate on Sheed, but the fact of the matter is he IS an All Star caliber player.

19. Dom_Sensei

Dom_Sensei JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">Please elaboarate. Have you even seen Qyntel Woods play, or his attitude? The guy is not sane (he used his basketball card as id when he got pulled over), let alone fit to be in the starting line-up of a basketball team.

He misses open lay-ups, jumpers, and commits turnovers. He's currently NBDL quality.</div>

Qyntel Woods would be great, he just needs some time.
    According to me, he is the Western Kwame Brown, even if the hype around him was different.
    Yet, both are said to have bad attitudes & many people think they will never reach their potential.
    I'm sure both Kwame & Qyntel will be great in 2 years.
    We just have to wait. (do you remenber how weak and immature was Jermaine O'neal when he came into the league? It is the same situation with these 2 players.)
    Even if it doesn't matter, in the summer league, Woods even seemed to be a better player than Zach Randolph...
    Wait & See...