What do you want to see from Damian?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Jul 21, 2014.

1. DrTom

DrTom New Member

No kidding. Easily the best coach we've had since at least Dunleavy. Probably Adelman. He didn't pilot the best defense this year, but there were things I liked. For one, his dedication to our ICE pick and roll defensive scheme at the beginning of the year was admirable. What was even more impressive, though, was that he took a step back when it was clear that it wasn't a flawless approach. He's innovative, he learns from his mistakes, and he's not afraid to change on the go. We're lucky to have him as a coach.

2. NewsSource

NewsSource Banned User BANNED

Also, LMA/Lillard/Batum/Lopez/Wes all seem to not only like him, but respect him as well. The offense should be spectacular this year; even a little improvement on defense can mean 2-3 more wins in the regular season, and then it's a crapshoot in the West for the playoffs.

3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Portland won so many games last year early, when they surprised so many teams. I doubt they surprise anyone this year. I know it's supposed to be only rose....er moda pedals and sugar in here, when it comes to the team, but that has to be taken into account as well.

There is a really good chance the team is better, but the record is worse.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  4. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I think that's 1A or 1B... however you want to slice it, really. It's either that or the injury bug. Both are taboo around here. But both were key reasons why we did so well.

That said, I think we're capable of opening up the season like we did again... maybe not as HUGE as we did last year, but I still think we make a bunch of noise.

5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Of any team, we deserved a healthy season, but I remember at some point, late into the season, we were the only team where all 5 starters had been the same every game.

6. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

improving his % from 2 means he'd take more midrange jump shots. I thought those were widely considered bad shots by this forum?

See the people hating on Aldridge for taking uncontested elbow jumpers.

position doesn't matter. It's either a bad shot for all players, or it's a good shot for all players.

BTW. a uncontested 15-20ft jumper where you have your feet planted and it's a catch and shoot situation is a much easier shot than a dribble pull up.

7. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    It doesn't necessarily, shots at the rim are also two-pointers and a very efficient class of shots--if you can generate good opportunities with your handle and offensive scheme.

And while mid-range jumpers are less efficient shots, some are necessary off pick-and-rolls, when the defender goes under the pick and it turns into a pick-and-pop. It's not ideal to bias your shot distribution towards mid-range jumpers (unless you're an elite mid-range jump shooter, of which there are some), but that doesn't mean you take it entirely off the table.

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Now that Dame is approaching superstar or at least media darling status, it's time he master the Chris Paul flop

9. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Oh we so did. I was just throwing in one more reason why we were able to do so damn well last season.

10. 42N8Bounce

42N8Bounce Red Hot And Rebuilding

Improving his % from 2 means making more of the shots that he takes from 2. He could take less shots from 2, and improve his percentage. It's about taking the smart shots and taking advantage of what the defense gives him.

11. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Lillard's problem with 2pt % last year was shots at the rim, he really struggled on those early in the year. At one point he was shooting under 30% when going left at the rim.

If he is open for a two point jumper he should take them all day but I don't expect any defense to consistently let him have those shots.