Forum Game What if Dame and Steph Had Been on Each Other's Team?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Stevenson, May 1, 2023.

1. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

The fact that Dame has averaged more assist per game career wise, with lesser talent, and certainly poorer shooters around him , makes that even more amazing.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Assists don’t = better passer. Steph moves the ball quicker

Natebishop3 and CJ_is_Gone like this.
  3. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with the first part. I would just add that GS as a whole moves the ball faster and has for what, a decade now?

4. Mediocre Man

Yes, but would they with Dame? Not a condemnation, but a serious question. Dame is much more ball dominant than Steph

Stevenson likes this.
  5. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

As with this entire thread, it's hard to say. I imagine it has more to do with Kerr vs. Stotts and Chauncey than anything else.

blazerkor likes this.
  6. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

sorry no. Barnes was a casualty to attain KD, but they didn't lose Livingston or Iguadala. Heck, Iggy was one of the guys who famously met with Kevin in the Hamptons to convince him to go to GS

STOMP

blazerkor likes this.
  7. Mediocre Man

Chauncey is all about ball movement….or said he was

8. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

you're confusing cause and effect in my view. Dame only "dominates" the ball more because he has to create a lot more of his own offense, and the team's offense as well. Curry has had the massive benefit of playing with much better passers than Dame has ever played with.

since the Aldridge/Dame team fell apart prior to the 2015-16 season, compare Dame's year-to-year usage rates to Curry's:

Dame:

Curry:

Dame has only had 1 season when he posted a usage rate over 31.5%. Curry has done it 3 times. Dame 'averaged' a usage rate of 30.9%. Curry averaged 31.8%. Dame dribbles more, but Curry uses a higher rate of his team's possessions. In fact, Dame doesn't just dominate the ball (as you describe it) to create his own offense. He does so to create his team's offense too. Curry has routinely averaged around 21% of his team's total assists. Meanwhile, Dame has averaged around 33-35% of his team's assists, and 39% in one season (2019-20). If Dame is truly more ball-dominant it's because he's never played with great talent or good passers

something else too: since that 2015-16 season, 5 different times Curry has had assisted FG rates OVER 50% and didn't have a single season under 45%. Meanwhile Dame has had 6 seasons when his assisted FG rate has been under 3o%, including a career low of 18% in 2019-20. His highest assisted FG rate was under 32%. In other words, Curry has had the major advantage of his team being talented enough to create half of his offense for him. Dame's teams have created around a quarter of his offense for him. The rest he had to create for himself and he did so while being the main focus of opposing defenses, AND being about the only player who could consistently facilitate offense for his teammates

Golden State's offense was based upon the team passing. Portland's was based upon Dame dribbling and probing because the fucking GM was too incompetent to build a complementary roster around Dame

the point being that just saying "Dame is more ball dominate" is a statement so lacking in context it's essentially meaningless

Comrade Red, tykendo and e_blazer like this.
  9. Mediocre Man

It’s all anyone has to go by. Dame dribbles while Curry runs off screens and moves the ball

10. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

maybe it's all you have to go by, but I think I was really clear in saying it's not all I have to go by

tykendo and blazerkor like this.
  11. Predator

Predator The Godfather

The golden state offense was pretty much built around Steph’s offball ability and ability to shoot shots extremely fast.

I don’t think GSW wins a championship with Dame.

I think Portland might’ve won one with Steph, but Stotts was the coach, so maybe not.

12. inconceivable

inconceivable Well-Known Member

I see the opposite.

Dame has better chance of winning at least a championship with those Warriors than Steph winning any with the Blazers

Tince and blazerkor like this.
  13. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    What if we had taken HFB and the Warriors picked Dame? For how many years would Dame have come off the bench as Steph’s backup?

14. tykendo

Dame's passing is some of the most pinpoint in the game.

15. tykendo

Because Steph runs down and hands the ball to Draymond doesn't make him a good passer. Steph is like a cross country runner on the court. Dame has to quarterback the Blazers. It's different. Draymond does more quarterbacking for the Warriors than Steph. Steph is mainly a shooter, who gets many of his assist by an easy pass to a generational shooter in Klay Thompson. Dame has not had that luxury. The best shooter Dame had was LaMarcus. CJ would get many passes from Dame, and was open, but decided to dribble into another shot or situation . Thus no assist. I get what your saying about assist doesn't equal great passer. But Dame is an underrated marksmen with his passing skills. They actually are as good as i've seen in the NBA today. Joker gets all the credit in the world for having so called "eye" in the back of his head. But i've seen Dame make incredible, after incredible, cross court, & in the paint, passes through traffic that are simply overlooked and amazing.

16. Mediocre Man

And?
    Based on?

17. tykendo

Oh Schultzy , you've done it again.

18. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Dame plays so much different than Steph that I really don't think he's the same in the Warriors system. Dame is pretty much a ISO/PnR player. I mean maybe the Durant years, but once again, really don't think the Warriors have the same kind of run to "entice" Durant into coming. And Durant wanted to play in a system that wasn't ISO-based, which, I really doubt they have that same free-flowing offense with Dame at the helm.

And I think the 09-10, 10-11, and 14-15 teams might've had a chance with Steph Curry.

19. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

This kinda thread an question reinforces my opinion that our fanbase is full of masochists.

20. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

The biggest separator between Steph and Dame is obvious.

Shooting.

Curry is unequivocally number 1. His worst year shooting the three is still better than Dame's best year percentage wise. Frankly, it's not close and it's what makes Steph a top 10 player in NBA history and Dame will finish probably close to 50 or so depending on how many accolades he ends up with.

Dame probably wins in 17 & 18 in GS. But not in 15 or 22. Steph wins no rings in PDX, maybe drags us to a WCF or two.

PtldPlatypus likes this.