What if we trade nobody?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Everything Beagle, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Everything Beagle

Everything Beagle Well-Known Member

How would you feel about the rest of this season, the draft, and next season if we just didn't trade anyone at the deadline (or over the summer)?

2. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    I think we need to trade Malcom, but I don't think it needs to be by this trade deadline. Maybe next year? I think his presence will be more of a benefit to Scoot and that value eclipses the picks we would get (people want) for him.

3. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
  4. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

It takes two to tango and (rumors aside) we're not privy to whats actually offered unless a deal goes through. If a deal happens, I hope it's one that makes sense for the long term as short term needs are not that important.

STOMP

BoBoBREWSKI, maxiep, PCmor7 and 2 others like this.
  5. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I would be very upset if we don't trade Brogdon. He will have no value in future trades and we take away minutes from Scoot/Sharpe while winning maybe 10 more games.

Would be beyond idiotic to keep him on this roster and perfectly emblematic of the directionless bullshit we have observed with this franchise for decades.

6. AquaXI

AquaXI Well-Known Member

We do need some veterans and I would be good with this team as constructed for the long haul.

7. illmatic99

What trade value do you anticipate an injury prone guard will have with one year left on his contract, who other teams know HAS to be traded due to roster reasons? Keeping Brogdon past the deadline is not a smart decision.

His value is at his peak right now having finally distanced himself from the past summer where he was red flagged in a physical for his health. Not capitalizing on his showcase over the past few months would be an incredibly wasted opportunity.

8. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    With Embiid out now for a good while things change. Are some East teams thinking it's worth making a run and go for talent to get them there? Like Grant and Mal?

Does Philly make a move? They have to keep Embiid happy so he doesn't ask out. What would that look like? He could be ready for the playoffs but they might need a bit of help to ensure a good pole position.

9. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    your attached value is purely external. Why is mentorship so undervalued. Did you see the clip I quoted above in this post? Ant explains why I value him on this team as much as trading him now.

So we get one less 1st for him but he helps Scoot reach his potential. I’ll take that trade off.

Propagandist likes this.
  10. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

This all depends on what is offered, though.

11. illmatic99

I don't think this is the right way to evaluate it. I am of the mind that his value now will be greater than what we can get for him this summer or at the next deadline.

So what his absolute value is is irrelevant to me as it will only get lower from here.

And on top of that... the minutes crunch that will arise when Shaedon comes back; I think trading him now is not only paramount, but a no-brainer.

12. illmatic99

What is Chauncey's role here? Is he not a mentor? Is Ant/JG not enough of a mentor for Scoot? I value on court experience as more beneficial as is.

It's not about one less first. He might walk for nothing in the summer of 25. Especially considering his upcoming free agency (and his injury history) I don't see the value in keeping him.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  13. illmatic99

Not to keep belaboring the point, but I want to point people to look at what happened to a similarly injury prone player we have: Rob Williams.

What value is he providing to the team right now?

Brogdon is similarly one injury away from becoming an albatross contract. Is this something we really want to risk just to have Brogdon sit in film sessions with Scoot?

BonesJones and Phatguysrule like this.
  14. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I've gone on record saying that if we are keeping win now players whose value is not going up (Malcolm, Jerami and to some extent Tisse) then I think this team is directionless and not capable of truly rebuilding. I think a half commitment to a rebuild from a small market franchise is a great way to end up just struggling to make the playoffs when the few starters you've gotten out of the draft and maybe a trade that works are in their prime.

Joe should be really going for squeezing as much value out of Jerami and Malcolm as he possibly can to whatever team will give him the most right now. For people who understand that there's a minutes crunch at guard, if we can land one more forward prospect we'll have that guy, Tou, Jabari and Kris who all deserve rotation minutes on a rebuilding team. I don't think if we trade those guys we have to go without any veteran presence on the roster either, vets can come back in the trade but not ones that need minutes, just like Earl Watson didn't need minutes when he was one of the culture guys Dame said had a huge impact on teaching him what it means to be an NBA player and wasn't here until Dame's second year.

15. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    You’re probably correct that Malcolm’s trade value is at its peak right now. There are multiple contenders who would value his game and experience. The thing that makes me hesitate is the small guard issue the Blazers have in trying to play a 3 guard lineup and end up with Ant and Scoot together when Shae is out. It seems to me that a 4 guard lineup with Malcolm solves that problem.

16. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I would tend to think you are correct, that his value is highest now, but that is only if there is a team out there who needs him. If there is not and no one is willing to offer a 1st now, I don't think it would be wise to give him away. Matter of fact I think it would be stupid. It's not like he will be a malcontent on the bench if his minutes go down.

Let's hope for a season-ending injury this weekend to a PG on a contending team!
    Ok, I am joking ....but it would help...

17. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I'm fine either way. We can make trades after the season if we don't do anything by the deadline.

riverman, PCmor7, Hoopguru and 2 others like this.
  18. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

I would be pretty disappointed if at a minimum Brogdan isn't traded and I would like to see Grant gone as well. These guys have value to other teams, especially in a league where it sounds like the Blazers could be one of the only sellers on the market. With the play-in games, more and more teams think they have a shot to make a run in the playoffs, this leaves fewer teams to give players up and might mean a greater haul back for these guys. From listening to a few national pods, the chatter seems to be pretty quiet from a lot of teams that might be on the fringes and this could be a big advantage for the Blazers.

GoBlazersGo and blazerkor like this.
  19. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Malcolm has had a ton of injuries throughout his career but he doesn't have anything that comes close to Rob Williams's degenerating knees. The guy just gets dinged up a lot but I don't think he has the red flags of Rob.

That being said, I think people are missing the point. I don't think on a rebuilding roster there is a reason to keep guys who make significant contributions as starters to regular season and playoff wins unless you think their value is going to be on the rise. Neither Malcolm or Jerami are ascending players in the league, they're well into their prime. If both aren't traded it brings up serious questions about what we're doing here. Are we going to sit these guys to maintain our draft position? How does that make sense with two guys that will be on the wrong side of 30?

Do people actually think there is no value out there for two guys like Jerami and Malcolm who have shown that they are two way starting level players... difference makers on any playoff team. They will get any team with championship aspirations more wins/less losses in the playoffs.

20. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I don't want to tank another 3 years after this. So keeping Grant is not a problem for me. He will still be 32 to start the 26-27 season. Until I see that we have an actual replacement on the team, then I see no reason to dump him. Obviously, if someone was willing to trade us a young replacement then I would be OK with it. (i.e Grant for Jonathan Kuminga and filler) But Grant for future 1sts does make as much sense as Brogdon for a future 1st.