What if we trade nobody?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Everything Beagle, Feb 1, 2024.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

That last paragraph is where you lost me. Of course I think I'm right. And you think you're right.

Grant in 3 years will be diminished value (in my opinion) as he's entering his 30s. This team isn't ready for an all-in move anytime soon. Why let him diminish in value compared to trading him for assets arent diminishing, clearing playing time for younger players, and stockpiling top draft picks over the next couple years? That to me is taking action to maximize a window when theyll contend.

Kicking the can down the road references waiting to put a plan in action. It's obvious Brogdon isn't a part of their core long-term. They did nothing.

2. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    I think I’m right but I try to keep an open mind. And to me, no one has said anything new to change my mind. It’s been the same thing cycled over and over. I see Grant’s value being just fine in a year or two. Back half of his contract and hopefully continues near all star level play, which I see no reason why he can’t sustain his play for another 18-24 months when we can push some chips in to make that big swing.
    If you are right that it takes longer, 3-4 years then maybe you are correct he diminishes. But I see the raw talent of our youth hopefully blossoming next season and full bloom the following.

Brogdon is in a position we presumably no longer need to address with the future of Scoot and Sharpe so he can be the other salary filler to go get a max contract all star. Him, Grant and picks in 18 months, for an all star in position of need is possible. Aston and Brogdon and picks for a position of need could be possible.
    In the mean time, let Brogdon continue to help the kids. And if we trade grant/Ant and picks for an Embiid type, extend Brogdon and let him be our 6th man. Contenders need deep vet benches and he could be that 6th man.
    With that said, the best angle might be trading Ant/Grant or Ant/Ayton for that difference maker.
    I see many options in 18-24 months.
    This is, of course if the youngsters pop. But until we confirm whether they are the core future, I just don’t see it as big of a deal to make a move now.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  3. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    My question is if we trade Brogdon in the offseason, or next year for a first, will those saying he will diminish in value admit to being wrong? Or if we make a package and swing for an all star and hit within 18-24 months, will any one of you admit to being wrong?

If we don’t/can’t do the above described, I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong. You won’t need to feed me crow, I’ll dish it up myself.
    A self prescribed dish that VERY few around here can prepare or accept, from my experience here.

4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think it's pretty cool that we got the Canadian young guy who's 6'8 and supposedly rebounds well for a protected future 2nd round pick..that's good use of a second round pick.

SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  5. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
  6. Ripcity4life77

Ripcity4life77 Well-Known Member

Cronin proved at the presser that he is a complete idiot and if this does not open the eyes of some of his fans / supporters then I am afraid nothing will short of two years down the road and this team is still rebuilding and no closer to doing anything.

7. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

Joe "I like it" Cronin. He says he likes the team, likes where we're at, likes the coach...

Joe, you have a team right at the luxury tax threshold that is a basement team and has lost to all the worst teams in the league, and "you like it"?

He seems to get excited about all the little 3rd string scrubs he finds that end up out of the league the next year.

illmatic99 likes this.
  8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Joe "I like the stock" Cronin

[​IMG]

HailBlazers likes this.
  9. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

Yeah his presser "dance" lost me in a large way, BS

10. blazedanugz

blazedanugz Well-Known Member

Yeah he should’ve said…”we suck and I’m looking to trade everyone”

that’s what us fans deserve right?
    Let every other team know we do not like our players. “ hey guys we really dont Like thybulle! Can someone give us a protected 2nd round pick?”

11. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

i believe Joe said 'happy' 22 times. I wonder if that was planned? Clyde Drexler representin'

12. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Has anyone asked Cronin what it is specifically he likes? I would be interested. I’m thinking he likes having a good paying job. But about the team, what’s he like? There is a lot of uncertainty up and down the lineup. At least with KP we knew what his thoughts were for the most part. And of course let the cake bake. But Aldridge, Roy and Oden oozed talent and you could see it. Then injuries. With this current incarnation of Blazers basketball I see no direction. I see two timelines being straddled and the treadmill starting up soon.

AngryFan likes this.
  13. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

And let me add, if he jumps this team onto the treadmill trying to make the play in next season, he should be fired, but won’t be. His marching orders come from Seattle. They do not have enough talent and the guys like Walker, Murray and Rupert are just meh when talking about strong roll players in the future. There’s no diamond in the rough. If Scoot or Sharpe don’t hit, along with a good rookie this year it will be until the team is sold for any light at the end of the tunnel.

AngryFan likes this.
  14. BonesJones

Same.

It seems like we agree on some things, because if I felt like we could contend in two years I'd be much more inclined to want to keep Grant. I'm just not as confident in that as you are.

I'd rather take a little extra time to build a sustainable contender instead of rushing things to try to get there too soon. I feel like there's some serious risk of getting stuck in the middle again and I want to avoid that.

I also feel like trading the vets now and embracing the struggle for a couple more years is the best way to avoid that as well as hedge our bets off the youngsters don't pop because we should get a couple more top draft picks and would have extra assets.

End of the day, the goal should be to contend even if we disagree on how. I hope the organization has that same goal.

15. BonesJones

16. AngryFan

AngryFan Active Member

They better be traded this summer and not for some borderline all-star. If the franchise is serious about contending we need a player with top 5 in the league potential.

Either Shaedon or Scoot have to pop and show that or we have to keep shedding talent to stay at the bottom of the league.

17. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    Here is the thing though. Ive said several times my opinion may be wrong but..etc.

But several on the opposite side are condescending in their posts.
    Management( and thus, anyone agreeing with management) is short sided.
    This is simple( implying those who think otherwise cant even think simply)

Are statements that cement an opinion and show zero ability to even entertain the possibility that there might be even a portion of their opinion could be off.
    These statements show the people making them are so firm in their opinion, they think it is fact.
    We are debating a future timeline of which there are no facts and the way some post their opinions does not at all make me think they understand its an opinion but instead think their opinions or stance is factual and anyone sho disagrees is an idiot.
    When some people post in that manner, it solidifies my thought that they are immovable in their thoughts regardless of none of it being factual.
    Makes having discussions very difficult. We Re all hypothesizing about the moves the Blazers do or don't make, but some post as if they are in the room and know all the details that led to the decisions to make moves or not make moves.
    Its a very condescending conversational style that gains little respect from me and actually pushes me to return in kind( mostly in mockery).

its not the opinions themselves, its how those opinions are presented. To be clear I'm not singling you out. Actually I'm thinking of one or two other posters in particular that consistently talk down to those with opposing opinions as if they aren't right in the head or something…and these are the same posters that bitch and complain about sooo many things every day.
    but i guess I'm being short sided or something in this. Lol.

18. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    To be clear. I dont think we can contend in two years. I think we could be a playin/lower playoff seed in two years. And that is when we then push the chips in to bump ourselves into contention for the following few years.

I think, in two years, if I'm wrong, then we clean house again over the next year, trading for more future picks/assets and try to draft a new core towards the end of the decade when we have the additional firsts we already have, to sift through the drafts for those potential core gems.

19. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

IMO, one of he main reason Joe has hung around so long with the mothership is that besides being a numbers guy he has that nice guy/play it safe personality that doesn't rub anyone wrong at Corporate. Perfect candidate for Bert & Jody to continue their strategy for the organization which, imo, its to create enough excitement to sell seats, stay under the cap and be profitable. I may be wrong but Im not so sure Joe has the negotiating/persistence skills to thrive as NBA GM. Sure, he may have a few discussions and make a few calls but I just get the feeling that he doesn't want take any risk and if he gets a negative vibe in the beginning process, he moves on. For me, this offseason will be the final exam for Joe. This really is the third year in a rebuild, not year one as many think.

20. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    I think everyone knows the position requires a bit of a salesman type of disposition, but then some fans get all mad when he portrays such disposition, which is needed to keep the cards close hold.
    Even if he thinks we don't have the talent we thought we had, why on earth would he publicly admit such a thing?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    blazedanugz likes this.