What is right wing, what is left wing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The Return of the Raider, Aug 26, 2008.

1. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

The "Right" and "left" talk has hit a fever pitch in this thread that I started mainly to talk about Nazis. I think I have helped drive that topic off the cliff a bit. We should talk about what it means to be "right" or "left" in a separate thread. I really think there needs to be some definition given to it, historically, and how it's actually defined "now".

I'd like to say first off, that what we considered "left" or "right" is defined differently based on where you live, and what year it is. People that vote for candidates that are "right wing" actually expouse Nazi values, which used to be considered left wing.

2. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

I don't think you can classify things as simply as left wing or right wing.

http://www.theadvocates.org/quizp/index.html

Take the test and then carefully observe how they classify "political beliefs"... Its not perfect but better then a linear scale which just doesn't work IMO.

3. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

I would say you're right when you say what is considered left wing and right wing or mainstream or extreme depends on where you live.

Where I'm from, if you're pro-life, you're an anti-choice extremist.

4. The Return of the Raider

I am conflicted on the National ID card thing. I really don't see the issue against having it. I have already had my fingerprints taken, so what does it really matter at this point.

5. Thoth

What I was driving at was how they use a rotated square with 5 different ideologies.

Part of the problem IMO is that things are oversimplified. Its a matter of either/or i.e. Democrat/Republican, Liberal/Conservative, Coke/Pepsi, etc...

6. Thoth

Personally, I don't see how you can not take the quiz and not be a Centrist or Libertarian.

I wonder where Bill Clinton, Hillary, Ronald Reagan, JFK, Ted Kennedy, Obama, Arnold S, McCain, Dubya, Putin, Ghandi or Thomas Jefferson might score?

7. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your PERSONAL issues Score is 100%.
    Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 100%.
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to your answers, the political group that agrees with you most is...[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LIBERTARIANS[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] support maximum liberty in both personal and [/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]economic matters. They advocate a much smaller government; one[/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]that is limited to protecting individuals from coercion and violence.[/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Libertarians tend to embrace individual responsibility, oppose[/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]government bureaucracy and taxes, promote private charity, tolerate[/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]diverse lifestyles, support the free market, and defend civil liberties.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Meh, I dunno...
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]​

8. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

Your PERSONAL issues Score is 60%.
    Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 0%.

According to your answers, the political group that agrees with you most is...

Liberal

LIBERALS usually embrace freedom of choice in personal matters, but tend to support significant government control of the economy. They generally support a government-funded "safety net" to help the disadvantaged, and advocate strict regulation of business. Liberals tend to favor environmental regulations, defend civil liberties and free expression, support government action to promote equality, and tolerate diverse lifestyles.

:D:D

9. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

Your PERSONAL issues Score is 50%.
    Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 50%.

[​IMG]

10. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

In other words, you're boring and have no opinion on anything :p

11. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Here is mine.

[​IMG]

Your PERSONAL issues Score is 50%.
    Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 70%.

[​IMG]

12. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

I hate you all, no-one else is even remotely left :(

13. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    [​IMG]

Your PERSONAL issues Score is 80%.
    Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 70%.

14. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Stupid test:

[​IMG]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your PERSONAL issues Score is 100%.
    Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 100%.
    [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to your answers, the political group that agrees with you most is...[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LIBERTARIANS[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] support maximum liberty in both personal and [/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]economic matters. They advocate a much smaller government; one[/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]that is limited to protecting individuals from coercion and violence.[/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Libertarians tend to embrace individual responsibility, oppose[/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]government bureaucracy and taxes, promote private charity, tolerate[/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]diverse lifestyles, support the free market, and defend civil liberties.[/FONT][/FONT]​

15. The Return of the Raider

So you think that no one should have an ID card? What are the dangers of having the ID card in your opinion?

16. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Why have the ID card when we have Id's from each state? Also have passports. No need to have a nation ID card IMO. It will take too much money from the govt and states, while we could spend that for better things.

17. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    As usual, I look at things from a historical perspective. The Social Security card was opposed by Libertarians at the time because government has no place in tracking what people do. So they wrote into the Social Security Act that the SS# and card were forbidden to be used for identification purposes. Yet today, I can type your SS# into some WWW page and ultimately steal your economic identity.

And as usual, I fail to see any compelling government interest or any benefit for individuals in the proposition.

18. RipCity

RipCity JBB JustBBall Member

Am I missing something? This site supposedly determines your political affiliation by asking 12 questions?

Sorry but thats retarded.

19. The Return of the Raider

I look at it this way, I don't really care if someone wants to assign a unique number (SS #)to my file. I do have a problem with getting an electronic GPS device inplanted in my body.

20. The Return of the Raider

Lol, if you don't like it, then don't participate.